Worth Buying?

Pinola

Just did my first start up and sortie, its a nice ride, currently the ugly stepsister inside, but with a major facelift on the way could see spending lots of time in it. Doesn't seem all that deep systems wise, but not simple either, weapons requires some study, flying parts easy with quality flight time already in a huey.

Youtube will be of great help for starting out. This will help get started:

https://www.youtube.com/user/eagledcs

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 3 weeks later...

NO ... not worth it.

The Ka-50 has never been updated except for a texture update several years ago. Best way to experience the Ka-50 is getting a copy of the original BS release (2008 ) or downgrading to the last DCS 1.5 version.

I do own a copy of the 2008 original release and since ED completely neglected the module it just got worse over time. It's not just one thing that needs fixing, but listing everything wouldn't make much sense if you don't own the module. This even extends to the campaign missions which clearly haven't been updated for the new 2.5 terrain.

By now this module is nothing more than a bad joke. Better wait for Black Shark 3

^^

Crazy talk, and not even well informed crazy talk.

It's still one of the best of the modules, the updated model and cockpit updates will be free if you buy it now, and the system modelling in 3 will be exactly the same as in 2 except for the addition of (imaginary) Igla and RWR/Active IR Countermeasures.

I also own a disk for the original version, but it's not installed on my machine, I use DCS & '2'.

There are lighting bugs in the Ka-50 at he moment, but the new cockpit / lighting will resolve them.

(& have you compared screenshots from the terrain then and now ?)

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Weta43 said:
It’s a great module, and you’ll get the cockpit/model/lighting fixes free regardless of whether you buy BS3 or not.

The 3rd edition has some systems added the real aircraft never had so that people can use it as it was never intended to be used...

If you’re happy with having only systems actually fitted, and flying it within the circumstances it would actually have been used in, no reason not to get it now.

Also - it’s fine with a twist stick - the only tricky thing is the AP, so depress the trimmer, change attitude, let the aircraft stabilise THEN release the trimmer.

Edit, why you’d like it more than the Huey is that it’s easier to fly, easier to land, easier to hover, faster, tougher, has better weapons, has a targeting pod and has stand-off capabilities...

And GPS and a real auto pilot 🙂

Worth it! 

Edited by River

The Ka-50 is, without any shred of doubt, definitely worth buying. In the proper hands, it's one of the deadliest modules we have atm.

Once you understand how the trim system works, and how it's directly connected to the autopilot system, she's a breeze to fly. Anyone that says otherwise, is in my opinion, simply doing it wrong.

This module is a must have for anyone interested in helicopter operations.

I fly all Helos pretty darn good, the Ka 50 is the hardest to land due to the poor visibility. Sure can land but right on the money on a small parking area line ? Pretty hard I'd say.

I have to partially disagree with this statement. While the Ka-50 visibility is limited, it's certainly not difficult to land. I've stopped trying to approach the landing area nose-on. Instead I approach with the landing area at my 10-11 o'clock and kind of side slip her in. This approach provides clear visibility to the landing area. With a little left rudder and right stick at about 4-5m above LZ, straighten her out to allow a nice steady decent. Easy-peasy.

I have to partially disagree with this statement. While the Ka-50 visibility is limited, it's certainly not difficult to land. I've stopped trying to approach the landing area nose-on. Instead I approach with the landing area at my 10-11 o'clock and kind of side slip her in. This approach provides clear visibility to the landing area. With a little left rudder and right stick at about 4-5m above LZ, straighten her out to allow a nice steady decent. Easy-peasy.

the only thing easier to land is the mi8. whoever things the shark is hard to land probably hasnt spent much time with the gazelle or huey

also, the sharks "deployment" campaign is perhaps one of the best ive played

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

... While the Ka-50 visibility is limited, it's certainly not difficult to land. I've stopped trying to approach the landing area nose-on. Instead I approach with the landing area at my 10-11 o'clock and kind of side slip her in. This approach provides clear visibility to the landing area. With a little left rudder and right stick at about 4-5m above LZ, straighten her out to allow a nice steady decent. Easy-peasy.

That's how you land any helicopter on a ship. And half the time you stick your head out the window to get a better ground reference (or your aircrewman hangs out the door and tells you the stuff you can't see...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've flown the Hornet for a couple of years now, and although I've in that time bought both the Huey and Gazzelle, I haven't flown either, but since I bought the KA-50 I haven't put it down. In fact, I've removed the detent from my Warthog knowing I'll be flying the Black Shark for a while yet. Until the SuperCarrier comes out of course. But yeah, the KA-50 is a blast to fly and challenging to learn.

• Like 1

Corsair 500D SE|Corsair AX1600i|Windows 11 Pro 64Bit|Intel i9-12900K 3.2Ghz@stock|Gigabyte Master Z690|Corsair H150i Elite Capellix|Gigabyte Vision RTX 3090| 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR5 5600Mhz|Alienware 34 AW3418W Display|Track IR 4 Pro|Logitech 7.1 G930|Samsung Evo 970 NVMe TB SSD|Slaw RX Viper Pedals|Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| F/A18-C Grip|HP Reverb 2|Logitech Lightspeed 502|Logitech Z906 5.1