Good Explanation Needed Use of PLM Targeting

gary palmer

With SW missile I understand how use the SEAM LOCK mode so missile head will track target off the ADL. But cannot work out how to use PLM for single target tracking of target aircraft/missile so my SW is slaved to the radar to locate the enemy aircraft.

Have made binding to my Thrustmaster throttle for both. I put the ADL crosshairs on target, select PLM and sometimes a diamond appears but at other times not.

1. What are the exact steps/conditions so PLM once selected works with diamond appearing ??

2. When I select PLM I can hear the sound of a switch clicking within cockpit yet have never been able to find appropriate button that does this inside the cockpit....where is this switch??

3. Does selecting PLM twice enable, disable PLM so one can cycle between enable/disable PLM?

4. Is there a visual way of knowing it is enabled such as say a cockpit light or similar?

Thanks Gary

Edited by gary palmer

The PLM switch is on the front face of the throttle. The PLM has the highest priority so it cancels the other modes when pushed. It locks on to the first thing/target it finds out to 5 nm in a very small scan area around the ADL. It is a quick lock on mode for in close dogfighting. It scans for a couple seconds then stops. Edit: you have to be pointing the ADL almost completely on top of target for PLM to work. I tend to think of it as a HUD point and click lock on method, but I'm pointing my whole jet lol.

You can visually verify by selecting pal or one of the two vsl modes first so you can see the scanning diamond on your HUD, then press the Plm and you'll see the diamond disappear.

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

1. When in range of 5nm for a fighter size aircraft put your ADL over a target and push and hold PLM until it is locked.

3. No. If the target was not locked pressing PLM will give back radar to the RIO.

4. No. Hold until lock. When locked you'll see all the usual confirmations on HUD, HSD and VSI.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Think of it as shooting RADAR straight out the nose. It's a quick and dirty way for the pilot to get a RADAR lock visually. Works well.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Besidesn PLM, there's also PAL mode which scans a much bigger volume in front of the aircraft. You might wanna take a look at that one!

And to prevent any missunderstandings, I corrected this quote of you:

With SW missile I understand how use the SEAM LOCK mode so IR seeker head will track target off the ADL.

Sidewinders don't use radar guidance!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Besidesn PLM, there's also PAL mode which scans a much bigger volume in front of the aircraft. You might wanna take a look at that one!

And to prevent any missunderstandings, I corrected this quote of you:

Sidewinders don't use radar guidance!

he didnt say they do, he said it uses the sidewinders own seekerhead which i believe is the case

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr