PIMAX reviews

Chivas

I noticed that VR sites VRfocus, UploadVR, and Road to VR are quick to note the poor support, and delays of the Pimax headsets. These faults should be reported, but it is curious that these sites haven't bothered to review the new headsets, that users are raving about from CES in the west, too the Pimax demo days along the eastern US seaboard, etc.

They mustn't have any to test yet. I'm really interested in the 8KX but in all the videos from CES and NY, all that is asked by Sweviver to lucky testers is about distortion, FOV and sharpness, which they all rave about. I have no doubt that these are better than current headsets so it would be nice for a change, to find out from a DCS user, how much FPS performance is affected. I'm running an Index and have it fairly well balanced to my system so that detail is quite high whilst maintaining 40 FPS most of the time. I would love a sharper image though which is why I would like the 8KX but if it meant turning all the details right down I'd give it a miss until Vulkan or better CPU's and graphics cards came out. Maybe if I win the lottery I could visit a venue where they have 8KX's to try out. It would have cost me as much to fly to CES or NY as a new headset anyway and it's a lot of money to spend on something with no impartial reviews and reported dodgy support. The other issue I have is Pimax taking payment immediately, then me having to wait months for delivery.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

I have had such a good experience with Pimax, minus the lack of delivery information from a non-existent customer service department, that I will definitely be looking to purchase the 8KX later this year. My 5K Plus is giving me great service in both DCS and IL-2 Great Battles with very high graphical settings, almost maxed out in DCS and totally maxed out in IL-2. Both these sims run at good performance, I get 45 fps in both and with the smart smoothing the Pimax runs at its native 90 Hz consistently.

The only other HMD I have used myself is the OR CV1. What I really love about the Pimax is the wide FOV, I always fly at the large setting which gives me about 170 degrees of horizontal view. For flying and situational awareness this is wonderful.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

I've had the CV1, Vive Pro, Pimax 5K and Index. Still got the Index, sold the rest as I went along. I must have got one of the early Pimax 5K's because the housing cracked. They offered me a $100 voucher. I miss the FOV but I found that the image stuttered and was glitchy when looking left and right as opposed to the Vive Pro and Index which were/are smooth. Since I sold it 6 months ago I'm sure PI Tools have been updated and it would be fine now. I agree with you, I found the FOV does make a big difference in SA which is why I'd love to try the 8KX. I'll have to make do with reviews when they appear.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

I've had a 5k+ for almost a year now and I've been very happy with it. Yes, it's not perfect, but the great resolution and large FOV was worth it in my eyes. The shortcomings were mainly in comfort, which I solved by modding the facepad and adding a vive deluxe audio headstrap with 3d printed parts. Performance has improved greatly since release, with improvements to pitool (as well as improvements on DCS side I'm sure).

The 8kx seems to have resolved the comfort issues nicely, with improvements to visual quality, so I took the plunge and ordered the 8kx through the upgrade program.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I have had a Pimax 5K+ and since a Reverb and briefly an Index.

I had no reliability or software issues with the Pimax and it improved in software features in the time I owned it.

I liked the bigger FOV but it wasn't a game changer for me. I did notice significant binocular overlap though.

My biggest issue was the the resolution spread across such a large FOV was only a small jump from the CV1 in terms of clarity and the Reverb (and Index) felt like a next generation in comparison.

I guess the 8KX will address this.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Another 5K+ user here. Have a headset for more than a year now. It is not perfect, but for me it benefits outweighs downsides in DCS. Already ordered 8KX.

PS Still waiting for kickstarter backed lighthouses and controllers, though. Timing is not a strong Pimax side, that for sure :(

Edited by Lehmen

Loving my 5k+ with DAS, and will get an 8kX. Wide FoV is just too good for immersion! I don't think I can go back to the ski mask view of other headsets.

I was worried a 1080Ti wouldn't be fast enough for 5k+ in DCS, but I'm getting 50-65fps in most situations. (Shaders mod, tweaks, etc). I'll get 3080Ti when available and run 8kX in upscale until then.

The upgrade store page for existing owners looks interesting. 200USD cheaper. But then I have to pay for shipping to Australia, and then get hit with 10% GST. So might as well just wait for amazon and get hopefully better warranty support if I should ever need it.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Yeah, for some customers in certain parts of the world the upgrade path will be a real bonus.

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Here in the UK with the upgrade path I am looking at around the grand which considering the massive quality improvement will be value for money.

Edited by Euan Emblin

I have used Rift, Odyssey, Odyssey+, Vive Pro, Pimax 5k, and now the Index.

My Pimax 5k was hot garbage. I was a early pre-order adopter and the support was non-existent, the software I had to find on the internet from a 3rd party, the housing was cheap and flimsy, the wide FOV was blurry and had a fishbowl effect, missing pixels. I had zero confidence this product would last long so I moved on.

I am told by pimax enthusiasts that much of this has gotten better.