Results of GTX 1080 Ti to RTX 2080 Ti upgrade

After nearly 2 1/2 years I finally decided I was ready to pay the absolutely absurd price of an RTX 2080 Ti in order to finally get some much-needed additional FPS in DCS. I ran a series of tests before and after the upgrade and thought it might be of interest for those with similar systems running at 4k considering an upgrade. I ran a variety of missions, mostly Instant Action, and basically just waited for the FPS to settle down within the first 30 seconds or so. Of course these results may not be an accurate estimate of what kind of FPS bump I'll be seeing when fully flying missions, but hopefully they're not far off. Here goes, with before (1080 Ti) and after (2080 Ti) FPS and then percentage increase:

F-16 Instant Action (IA) Free Flight: 53 70 32%

FA-18 IA Ready on the Ramp: 59 78 32%

JF-17 IA Free Flight: 63 79 25%

MiG-19 IA Transit: 63 76 21%

AJS37 IA Air Intercept: 60 72 20%

A-10C IA Takeoff: 36 56 56%

MiG-19 Training Landing: 70 93 33%

Op SnowFox - AV-8: 46 70 52%

Through the Inferno, Persian Gulf, F-14: 69 89 29%

Through the Inferno, Persian Gulf, F-16: 58 75 29%

Free Flight Practice, NTTR, M-2000C: 72 88 22%

And then for comparison outside of DCS, in RDR2 I went from 46 to 62 for an increase of 35%.

So bottom line is, I'm seeing 20-33% increase in DCS, with a few instances going up to 50+% improvement. I'm quite happy with the results, although still irritated that graphics card prices have skyrocketed so much over the past two years.

When you bring up your frustration with the pricing, do you have another card you feel would be a better value?

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Thanks for that GregP,:thumbup:

Very interesting, it's why I have not upgraded. My systems is locked anyway at 60 fps. Looks like it can hold a locked 60 @ 4k. Will it hold / stay at 60 in a larger mission?

Are your graphics settings max? View ultra?

and what are these set at? my settings (MSAA x 2) and (SSAA OFF)

I paid $1100 AUD for the 1080ti

RTX 2080 Ti Strix $2000 AUD

Going to wait and see what comes out this year.

Not paying those prices...$1000 bucks for a card was like.....hard to do.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

When you bring up your frustration with the pricing, do you have another card you feel would be a better value?

Based on online reviews, 2080 Super cards are likely roughly halfway between the 1080Ti and 2080Ti. Those cards are $700-$800, compared to the 2080 TI at $1000-1400 (with my card being right in middle of $1200). So I would guess that for people running anything less than a 1080 Ti, maybe the 2080 Super would be a worthy upgrade and be more palatably priced.

Based on online reviews, 2080 Super cards are likely roughly halfway between the 1080Ti and 2080Ti. Those cards are $700-$800, compared to the 2080 TI at $1000-1400 (with my card being right in middle of $1200). So I would guess that for people running anything less than a 1080 Ti, maybe the 2080 Super would be a worthy upgrade and be more palatably priced.

Going from a GTX760 to a RTX2080 Super Stryx Advanced Gaming was a bit of an eye opener so to speak, don't have any figures for before, but free flight over Caucus map I'm getting 90 - 130 fps over the cities (all settings High 1920x1080) and 140 - 160fps over open terrain in the F-14B

Edited by Alicatt
missed a Zero

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I couldnt bring myself to buy a 2080ti at the prices especially when the experience would be no different with a ti in there - Im not dropping anywhere to levels where I might see hiccups. I play at 2k - dont have a 4k monitor - with everything maxed out and I pull over 100 frames constant in most situations and only dip to 80 -90 when down low in cities such as Las Vegas or some of the places on the hormuz map. I'm very pleased with my card and its performance. As far as 2k is concerned I think a 2080super is a sweet spot; at 4k a 2080ti might be a bit more justified, but still the prices are ludicrous.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

The prices are indeed ludicrous, I completely agree, but unfortunately I think this is where the top-end cards are going to be from now on. I’m not sure if it was the cryptocurrency miners that pushed prices up this high when the 2080 TI first came out, or the intent was always to market them at this price, but it’s hard to imagine that the next generation is going to be any cheaper now that we’ve crossed the threshold.

Because I’ve been running 4K for several years now, and also don’t have a VRR-capable monitor yet (although a few large-format models were shown at CES this year, making the prospect more likely as the year goes on), I rationalized that doing the GPU upgrade now was worth it if I could get near the mythical 4K 60 Hz level and thus be able to enable V-sync and get rid of the screen tearing that has been driving me crazy. I actually do have an LG 55 inch OLED that is G-Sync compatible (I just am not able to use it with my flight sim setup currently) and there’s no doubt in my mind that V-sync and/or VRR is where it’s at in terms of smooth 4K gaming on a 2D screen.

Edited by GregP

Similar specs, But should have waited.

Using FE 2080Ti for quite some time, Detailed specs below.

I also want to point out this 30-50% improvemnt is becasue it is 4k, i did not expect such improvement in lower res.

But if I was in your position I would wait for 3080ti though, expected to be more value/money.

Edited by BrokenArrow

-------------------------------------------------

AMD 3700x, 32GB 3600 C16 RAM, 2080 Ti FE, 32UD89 4K 60, 300Mbps LAN

There are only 3 sexy airplanes in the sky, Flanker, Viper, Raptor

The prices are indeed ludicrous, I completely agree, but unfortunately I think this is where the top-end cards are going to be from now on. I’m not sure if it was the cryptocurrency miners that pushed prices up this high when the 2080 TI first came out, or the intent was always to market them at this price, but it’s hard to imagine that the next generation is going to be any cheaper now that we’ve crossed the threshold.

I would lay blame for that huge price hike mostly at the monopoly Nvidia has on the high end GPU market.

AMD should release some high-end competitor this year, but it will probably be at the 2080Ti level at best, while Nvidia is already pushing forward the release new Ampere GPU forward to put them back to square one.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah, the monopoly nvidia has on the market and supply issues in the vram production pipeline are probably the main cause of the high prices. I agree, the prices will continue upwards until a worthy competitor to nvidias ti cards hit the market. I think everybody is hoping for that to happen as well as intels offering into the desktop gpu market as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Does anyone know what the 3080(ti) is supposed to look like in terms of spec/performance. I know its early but if we saw around a 30fps increased from going to a 2080ti from a 1080ti, is it plausible to expect another 30% jump? Or is that asking too much?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

...don’t have a VRR-capable monitor yet...enable V-sync and get rid of the screen tearing that has been driving me crazy...

Hate to be a bummer but TrackIR doesn't work with G-Sync for VRR purposes. It will have improved latency and input lag but the frames rates won't match if you are controlling your view with TrackIR.

Have you tried adaptive sync in Nvidia Control panel instead of Vsync in DCS settings? It should reduce stuttering from frame rate drops. If you are seeing tearing that is actually from the frame rate exceeding 60 fps. If you haven't already you should try the frame rate limiter in the NCP and lock it to 60 fps for DCS. Otherwise your GPU is doing more work than it needs to and the animation will stay smoother for TrackIR. It should help keep temps down too to prevent throttling.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology

If you set up Afterburner with a frame time graph it should keep a smooth line at 16.6 ms for 60 fps. Your eyes can detect even slight hiccups in frametime and the graph is a good way to make sure you aren't just hallucinating.

And thank you so much for posting these benchmarks. It corroborates the benchmarks that Aurelius did. I did some myself before upgrading but I forgot to save the file folder with the data when I reinstalled Windows like a dummy. It's interesting seeing the differences between modules and maps.

...is it plausible to expect another 30% jump? Or is that asking too much?

Hopefully it's higher, the 1080 Ti was a much bigger improvement over the 980 Ti than the 2080 Ti was over the 1080 Ti.

Hopefully, we'll know by summertime. Good news is that percentages compound. So the 3080 Ti should be a nice improvement over the 1080 Ti.

Something to keep in mind as the rumor mill winds up over the next few months. None of the leaks about the 2080 Ti were accurate until about a week before the NDA lifted. So be very skeptical about the clickbait articles from tech "journalists". They're fun to read though.

A 50% performance bump at $1000 instead of 30% at $1200 would be most welcome compared to last time. I'll believe it when I see it though.

1080 Ti's are still selling for $400-$500 on Ebay, so I would guess you could still get at least $300 for one on Ebay after the new gen comes out.

Hate to be a bummer but TrackIR doesn't work with G-Sync for VRR purposes. It will have improved latency and input lag but the frames rates won't match if you are controlling your view with TrackIR.

Have you tried adaptive sync in Nvidia Control panel instead of Vsync in DCS settings? It should reduce stuttering from frame rate drops. If you are seeing tearing that is actually from the frame rate exceeding 60 fps. If you haven't already you should try the frame rate limiter in the NCP and lock it to 60 fps for DCS. Otherwise your GPU is doing more work than it needs to and the animation will stay smoother for TrackIR. It should help keep temps down too to prevent throttling.

Hmm, TrackIR, yeah I hadn't thought of that. I haven't tried Adaptive Sync yet, no, but that's a good idea. When I say tearing, I meant primarily when I have low framerate (i.e. before I got the 2080 Ti) around 30, and then as I get close to 60, so I think it's the 'other kind' of tearing as opposed to that which occurs when framerate exceeds refresh rate. I've been capping FPS at 60 in Afterburner up to now too; I've seen forum discussions about the merits of using NVCP vs Afterburner but didn't think there was likely much difference in how well it gets implemented. But trying through NVCP is worth a try.

If you already have it capped through Riva Tuner I wouldn't bother changing it. I doubt you'd notice any difference. I watched a YT video where a guy tested both with a high speed camera and mouse inputs and the difference was a few milliseconds. He got the best results with frame rate limiters within game. On other threads I've read DCS's limiter is borked but never actually tried it myself.

If an upgrade doesn't double performance it's not worth $1000+. No way around it. As generational gaps narrow, it's less and less reasonable to upgrade like that. Every other gen, or possibly every two generations, is an actual useful change. 25-30% is just nonsense for the money it takes. And I say that as somebody that doesn't hesitate an instant to drop money on ''the best of'' for my hobby.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

25-30% is just nonsense for the money it takes. And I say that as somebody that doesn't hesitate an instant to drop money on ''the best of'' for my hobby.

...unless that 25-30% gets you up and over the 60 FPS mark, thereby allowing use of V-sync to smooth out performance—which was my goal from the beginning. In my opinion that’s what makes this particular upgrade ‘worth it’ for me.

Edited by GregP

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology

If you set up Afterburner with a frame time graph it should keep a smooth line at 16.6 ms for 60 fps. Your eyes can detect even slight hiccups in frametime and the graph is a good way to make sure you aren't just hallucinating.

And thank you so much for posting these benchmarks. It corroborates the benchmarks that Aurelius did. I did some myself before upgrading but I forgot to save the file folder with the data when I reinstalled Windows like a dummy. It's interesting seeing the differences between modules and maps.

What exactly are you referring to. I have been using gsync and track IR for years with smooth game play in all games (il2, DCS, warthunder, BMS, ARMA). What is supposed to be deficient?

What exactly are you referring to. I have been using gsync and track IR for years with smooth game play in all games (il2, DCS, warthunder, BMS, ARMA). What is supposed to be deficient?

One of the threads covering Track-IR and it's 120Hz polling rate.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229871

There are many threads about this issue and it's not only DCS, it affects all games as it is TiR bound.

In short:

You either have steady 120 or 60 or 30fps. Since we can hardly achieve steady 120fps and 30 is way too low most settle with locked 60fps to have a match between TiR polling rate and screen output.

If you fly with fluctuating/always changing fps you will very likely have Micro Stutter when you look left or right when you use TiR to control your view angle.

I didnt believe it myself until I tested it. It may be hard to notice to very much noticeable, depending on things we cant seem to nail down.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Does anyone know what the 3080(ti) is supposed to look like in terms of spec/performance. I know its early but if we saw around a 30fps increased from going to a 2080ti from a 1080ti, is it plausible to expect another 30% jump? Or is that asking too much?

It's definitely too early to tell, but IIRC they were unofficially advertised as having a 50% performance bump over the 20XX cards with a 50% smaller TDP. No mention if the 50% bump in performance is related to RTX performance or non-RTX, but though I hope it's the latter, I'd presume it's the former since the RTX performance was pretty absymal on 20XX cards, especially given the bump in price.

In any case, rumors are they might announce them some time in March already.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-will-be-annnouncing-7nm-ampere-gpus-at-gtc-2020-in-march/

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I was skeptical myself when I first read this on threads here. Thing was I had been playing at 4K60 with Vsync on when playing DCS. When I played first person shooter games on my 165Hz Gsync monitor, I didn't use Track IR.

TrackIR was engineered before Freesync/Gsync became a thing. As Bit mentioned it's due to the polling rate of the IR camera and probably the software running in OpenGL as well.

Set up a framerate/frametime graph in Afterburner and then pan around and look over your shoulders in the cockpit while flying. At 80-90ish fps it's most noticeable, the microstutters are really bad. Less so the closer you are to 60 or 120 fps. At 120+ it's not really noticeable but I was only able to sustain those framerates on single player freeflight in the TF-51. As soon as I loaded a complex mission with wingmen over Nellis in another module sustaining 120 wasn't happening.

Then to test, pause TrackIR and use your mouse to pan your view and there will be no issues and look smooth as Gsync is intended. One of the nice things about VR is you can get 90 fps smooth versus the 60 fps limitation of TrackIR. But when framerate is capped at 60 fps for TrackIR gameplay is very smooth.

I think a lot of players just get used to framerate drops and stutters and think that's normal because they have no other frame of reference. When tuned properly for a consistent 60 fps, DCS plays real nice to your eye.

After nearly 2 1/2 years I finally decided I was ready to pay the absolutely absurd price of an RTX 2080 Ti in order to finally get some much-needed additional FPS in DCS. I ran a series of tests before and after the upgrade and thought it might be of interest for those with similar systems running at 4k considering an upgrade. I ran a variety of missions, mostly Instant Action, and basically just waited for the FPS to settle down within the first 30 seconds or so. Of course these results may not be an accurate estimate of what kind of FPS bump I'll be seeing when fully flying missions, but hopefully they're not far off. Here goes, with before (1080 Ti) and after (2080 Ti) FPS and then percentage increase:

F-16 Instant Action (IA) Free Flight: 53 70 32%

FA-18 IA Ready on the Ramp: 59 78 32%

JF-17 IA Free Flight: 63 79 25%

MiG-19 IA Transit: 63 76 21%

AJS37 IA Air Intercept: 60 72 20%

A-10C IA Takeoff: 36 56 56%

MiG-19 Training Landing: 70 93 33%

Op SnowFox - AV-8: 46 70 52%

Through the Inferno, Persian Gulf, F-14: 69 89 29%

Through the Inferno, Persian Gulf, F-16: 58 75 29%

Free Flight Practice, NTTR, M-2000C: 72 88 22%

And then for comparison outside of DCS, in RDR2 I went from 46 to 62 for an increase of 35%.

So bottom line is, I'm seeing 20-33% increase in DCS, with a few instances going up to 50+% improvement. I'm quite happy with the results, although still irritated that graphics card prices have skyrocketed so much over the past two years.

On my second 2080TI atm, first one melted after exactly one year and 1 month so no warranty or hope of rma. Hoping this one will last a couple of years or atleast melt before warranty is up. I personally don't think the performance matches the price. Got the 11gb ones at 1200 dollars ish.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

If an upgrade doesn't double performance it's not worth $1000+. No way around it. As generational gaps narrow, it's less and less reasonable to upgrade like that. Every other gen, or possibly every two generations, is an actual useful change. 25-30% is just nonsense for the money it takes. And I say that as somebody that doesn't hesitate an instant to drop money on ''the best of'' for my hobby.

Unless you're into VR. A "little bit" could mean rock solid 45FPS or not. It's a pretty big deal for VR users.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

On my second 2080TI atm, first one melted after exactly one year and 1 month so no warranty or hope of rma. Hoping this one will last a couple of years or atleast melt before warranty is up. I personally don't think the performance matches the price. Got the 11gb ones at 1200 dollars ish.

What country are you in Thor_H? Here in NZ we have consumer rights that an item must last a realistic time frame and not just the manufactures warranty i.e. 12 months warranty is basically manufactures bollocks. You should have jumped up and down harder as one month after warranty is just crap!

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908