Using Avast ? better read this...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

So? ... google does the same thing, and Microsoft Windows 10 does too, we are all being watched on our smartphones and computers; there are no thrustworthy computer companies anymore, not even Apple.

Same with the governments, there is not one government I would trust ... USA is foremost on it, they spy like crazy, not only on foreigners, but also spy on their own citizens.

There is no solution to this modern problem. :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

How exactly do you think ''free services'' are paid for? Nothing is free. It's also irrelevant, your internet activities are and have always been recorded. If you didn't want anybody to know you like tentacle hentai, you should have stayed cash only at your local store ;)

@pe

It's not so much tinfoil hat. Anybody with sense knew this sort of thing has always happened, it's just kneejerk reactions when people are reminded occasionally. The internet is like public spaces, you don't really have a right to ''privacy'' persay when you're out there on somebody else's property as it were (somebody else's server in this case). Lots of people ''see'' you, and it's far from surprising observing your activities is monetised. The only ''privacy'' you really should expect is when in your home with the blinds closed, not interacting with external sources.

Where the tinfoilery comes in is when people start freaking out overmuch about it. Barring the occasional illegal act that gets caught, or some particular person of interest, in general nobody cares what you specifically are doing. They're interested in trends and percentages. I.e. they may care that I'm a white male between 30-35yo doing this or that, along with 200,000 other users of my demographic, but they don't care about me/my activities as an individual.

Not saying I agree with all of it, but it's all pretty straightforward.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I am in line with this one guy and his comment. This went a bit too far and if someone sues them in the EU it can be fined with 4% of their global turnover. They recently billed another company a couple hundred million and said " Be lucky, it could be double ".

The argument was that to resell the browser data they need the users explicit "OK" and that can't be hidden somewhere in the EULA, T&C or whatever 3-letter abbreviation they use.

Grabbing some Popcorn...LoL...and a tinfoil hat !

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The internet is like public spaces, you don't really have a right to ''privacy'' persay when you're out there on somebody else's property as it were (somebody else's server in this case). Lots of people ''see'' you, and it's far from surprising observing your activities is monetised. The only ''privacy'' you really should expect is when in your home with the blinds closed, not interacting with external sources.

Actually, I expect my e-mail content to be private and not read by Google; I expect the documents and photographs that I upload to a PAID Cloud service, to be private and not subjected to anybody else peeking on it; I expect that the data that ED collects on my gaming activities, will not be shared with any other Company; etc etc.

It is a shame that those reasonable expectations are not usually being uphold by either Companies nor Governments.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Actually, I expect my e-mail content to be private and not read by Google; I expect the documents and photographs that I upload to a PAID Cloud service, to be private and not subjected to anybody else peeking on it; I expect that the data that ED collects on my gaming activities, will not be shared with any other Company; etc etc.

It is a shame that those reasonable expectations are not usually being uphold by either Companies nor Governments.

You don't have to use them. It's in Google's EULA. If you don't want Google to read your email to generate ads, there are alternative email platforms. I didn't follow the AVAST thing too closely, but I *believe* the issue is that no one knew? I'm not an AVAST user so I've never looked at the EULA.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So? ... google does the same thing, and Microsoft Windows 10 does too, we are all being watched on our smartphones and computers; there are no thrustworthy computer companies anymore, not even Apple.

Same with the governments, there is not one government I would trust ... USA is foremost on it, they spy like crazy, not only on foreigners, but also spy on their own citizens.

There is no solution to this modern problem. :(

Says the guy who doesn’t live here...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Says the guy who doesn’t live here...

Edward Snowden also doesn’t live there .. :)

There are many ways to limit the possibilities for other parties to peek into your stuff.

- encrypt anything you upload to a cloud

- run your own mailserver ( comes with a ton of burdens btw ! )

- DON'T use Facebook and alikes

- configure your Windows OS to minimize sharing with MS

- better than Windows, use Linux for your daily stuff ( I know... don't even start a debate ! )

- last but not least, a paper and a pen is best for very sensitive stuff like Passwords, Swiss

Bank accounts and other secrets one may have

I do about HALF of what I wrote above as some things are just not practical, like running your own mailserver or use Linux for your real daily stuff, it's just too time consuming.

What we need are politicians and officials that take our privacy serious. Even if one or the other business would not survive those potential regulations.

Being online is like being stripped down to your underwear, maybe all naked. Sadly that is the truth.

Diid I mention I hate FB ?

- better than Windows, use Linux for your daily stuff ( I know... don't even start a debate ! )

As a long-time Ubuntu user, I totally agree. Funnily enough, today I made the switch to Pop!_OS (by System76) which - even though it's based on Ubuntu - has the edge over Ubuntu thanks to its more up-to-date hardware support. Pretty amazing how it works perfectly on my Dell XPS 15 out-of-the box.

That said, I use Ubuntu (and now Pop!_OS) for work and everything that's important. Windows I only use for gaming as that's how far the trust in that OS goes.

Which reminds me about my soap box I like to step on: Why in the world do government agencies (and their supporting contractors) still use Windows-based workstations and laptops these days when there's so much sensitive data on those machines? They then have to rely on other software vendors to make it somewhat secure.That's beyond me...

Did I mention I hate FB ?

Most folks do. That's why I am actually quite distraught as to why ED and some of their third party developers post news updates there... ugh.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Damn guys, it's almost like there are people working together behind the scenes on enslaving the common men for their own profit across the globe.

;)

They do business with info. Recently one of the youtubers that I follow that deals with IT have hacked the account. He had replied to a work email asking him to install a software, he did it under a virtual machine but it did not help to defend himself. Hacked not for the hacker's skills but for the fact that there have been flaws in the systems for months that have not been fixed. For example two-factor authentication, passwords saved in the browser, etc. We are all vulnerable.

They do business with info. Recently one of the youtubers that I follow that deals with IT have hacked the account. He had replied to a work email asking him to install a software, he did it under a virtual machine but it did not help to defend himself. Hacked not for the hacker's skills but for the fact that there have been flaws in the systems for months that have not been fixed. For example two-factor authentication, passwords saved in the browser, etc. We are all vulnerable.

That happened likely because he had "Shared Folders" activated between the Host and VM. Not a good idea for security, just very convenient.

For this reason, SMB and it's pitfalls, I am building a new Backup Server for a client based on ubuntu-srv 18.04 LTS with ONLY ssh-daemon activated. Acronis connects to server only when it backs up data, opens a SFTP channel, copies the stuff over and then terminates it again. A much lower risc of getting ransom ware infected across the network incl. your backup, which is the only clever way out.

Sadly his pipe is not big enough to upload to a cloud, 5Mbit is just not practical, 100Mbit+ was better...maybe soon when they move to FTTH we can also do a weekly backup to Acronis Cloud.

The cost was trivial for a company, I used an old but sill good gaming setup, Asus H-97 Pro, 4790k and 16GB DDR3, ordered a new Seasonic Platinum with 650w, 2 x 6TB WD Red NAS, a 860 Pro 256GB and a Corsair Midi Tower, all in all ~800€ incl. the used parts which were 150€. The server is installed, updated and configured in 20 minutes, that comes for free as I like my customer and I dont want them to go DOWN. One of their main suppliers, a world known company in steel works, got his German HQ taken down 2 weeks ago, downtime 10 days +/-, no orders proceeded, lots of loss. That's when I told my customer, "I have an idea for a reasonable price". She agreed in less than 3 seconds.

Secure your stuff and have multiple copies, some !!OFFLINE!!

Edited by BitMaster

Yeah I am with the OP, this is a pretty shitty practice.

Just reminds me of what I always said about free antivir software though, it's your own best virus most of the time. Popups, slows you down, runs out occasionally and doesn't work etc. And add to that this data tracking/selling, and you've got a pretty damn high risk virus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So?

Your operator knows everything that moves through your internet connection that is not encrypted. It does know that where example your VPN connections goes, but not what is inside. But that is as well why NSA doesn't care about your devices itself, they have all required data breaching tools in the operator network, so all your VPN keys etc gets decrypted when wanted (meaning if you are really seriously taken as suspect for something).

Only way to be secure is to meet with someone face-to-face. And even then leave all electronics out, take all necessary precautions to avoid eavesdropping.

What he talks about, is just tip of the iceberg... There is so much and easy ways to track people. And police in various european countries does that completely automatically. It is not individuals that gets targeted, until it becomes high enough value for someone.

And whatever laws you can quote for privacy, such agencies and companies that has access to it, doesn't really care when they can silently and hidden do whatever they want.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If you don't want Google to read your email to generate ads, there are alternative email platforms.

Every service reads their users emails when they offer anti-spam, anti-phishing, anti-malware etc scanning services. They literally read every single email content. Even when they provide a filters or webmail client etc.

Question is just that what they do with all that information. Some can say that like Google will dump all that data to /dev/null once it has applied filters. But cynics can say that is not happening.

So anyone taking any seriousness for their emails etc, should get them encrypted on their computer, sent through their own email server etc. Lots of things needs to be done on own computers and that means lots of spam, management, filtering etc to be done.

So?

Your operator knows everything that moves through your internet connection that is not encrypted. It does know that where example your VPN connections goes, but not what is inside. But that is as well why NSA doesn't care about your devices itself, they have all required data breaching tools in the operator network, so all your VPN keys etc gets decrypted when wanted (meaning if you are really seriously taken as suspect for something).

Only way to be secure is to meet with someone face-to-face. And even then leave all electronics out, take all necessary precautions to avoid eavesdropping.

What he talks about, is just tip of the iceberg... There is so much and easy ways to track people. And police in various european countries does that completely automatically. It is not individuals that gets targeted, until it becomes high enough value for someone.

And whatever laws you can quote for privacy, such agencies and companies that has access to it, doesn't really care when they can silently and hidden do whatever they want.

This is all true but the problem is who has access to what info. You're talking about governments, and the ISP. Those places don't easily give up the information that might compromise you unless you are their enemy (okay there are exceptions and we know it, but it's a bit unusual). So this is a problem.

Running any business you are well aware of client data security and how this is not kosher. It's similar to your doctors office just selling your medical records to an insurance company that you are considering using without your consent.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is all true but the problem is who has access to what info. You're talking about governments, and the ISP. Those places don't easily give up the information that might compromise you unless you are their enemy (okay there are exceptions and we know it, but it's a bit unusual). So this is a problem.

Governments are currently doing all kind legislations in europe at this moment (and has been driving it for over decade now) that will provide all kind data to corporations. It includes things like all the citizens medical informations from birth to death (claim to be so that identification data gets ripped from the data before delivery), location data of the mobile devices (again, claims to have ID ripped), banks are selling the credit cards purchase histories (again, claims ID is ripped) and many other things.

Major privatization things are currently under work, that has been for a century for the public, there is plans to privatize water table, national forests, roads and railways etc, but so that all the maintenance is withhold for the public, so all the benefits for the corporations and all the major costs for the public.

When you install some random applications to your phone, they can do lots of tracking if they get access to your cell, as they can constantly keep reading the cell you are connected, sniff the three strongest cells and this way pin point you accurately even when they don't touch at all to your GPS. Same thing is with Wi-Fi, there is already huge WiFi map available that you can use to pinpoint someone with good approximate.

Running any business you are well aware of client data security and how this is not kosher. It's similar to your doctors office just selling your medical records to an insurance company that you are considering using without your consent.

Yes, every citizen is just a product that gets used. Insurance companies did already decades ago so that they hired the doctors from the private sectors from companies that offered the services for different companies workers for healtcare. This way they went around the legastation that you are required to give access for the data for the company, as it was the same doctor that treated you and who reviewed your insurance medical part. This way the private doctor cheated on you and got paid by the insurance companies who paid when they found way to avoid paying your medical costs.

Whenever there is money to be made, everything is open for business, question is just about the price, be it money or be it political influence by terrorising with threats and claims for the security.

Everyone has everything to hide, most people just don't do that and they victimize everyone else.

Communicate only via snail mail, and do that in code. Do not share anything online. Pay for everything in cash. Oh, and have a plan to kill everyone that knows your real name. ;) Not a solution but a start. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Communicate only via snail mail, and do that in code. Do not share anything online. Pay for everything in cash. Oh, and have a plan to kill everyone that knows your real name. ;) Not a solution but a start. ;)

Hardcore is the only way. You should see me cringe so many pay with card even very small payments at the super market. Cringing again just thinking about it.

Here's the DUDE :megalol:

one my favorites of all time

click this to jump right to the DUDE

or the whole Intro

Edited by BitMaster