HUD symbology question

silentbob11

Hi guys

I have a kind of a strange qustion:

When using A/A radar (RWS/ TWS) and getting a lock I alwsays get a "Square" box, not a diamond or a diamond with a "hat". My IFF and Datalink are ON. anyone got a clue?

SB11

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

Hi guys

I have a kind of a strange qustion:

When using A/A radar (RWS/ TWS) and getting a lock I alwsays get a "Square" box, not a diamond or a diamond with a "hat". My IFF and Datalink are ON. anyone got a clue?

SB11

Are you depressing SCS depress, to interrogate the track? If not, probably why it isn’t interrogating the target. Sometimes tracks are not automatically identified.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Are you depressing SCS depress, to interrogate the track? If not, probably why it isn’t interrogating the target. Sometimes tracks are not automatically identified.

Cheers,

Don

Do you mean sensor selection switch?

SB11

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

SB11

Yes. You can depress the SCS to perform IFF interrogation on the radar target under the cursor (TUC). Or if you're in RWS with LTWS enabled, you can hover the TDC over the target and it'll automatically interrogate it.

You need two sources to declare a contact hostile and one must always be your own IFF interrogation. So, if you have an AWACS or other friendly fighters on Link 16 and they've marked the contact as hostile, after you interrogate it and get no Mode 4 reply, it'll be marked as hostile for you as well (diamond+hat on the HUD, red diamond with a rank on the radar page). If you're without support on the Link 16 network, you'll have to lock the target in STT so that the radar can ID the aircraft with NCTR by looking at the plane's turbine blades and perform an IFF interrogation as well.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Of course you can also manually designate it a hostile with PLID, but you better be sure then, otherwise if shared to other aircraft, they might attack it and cause a blue on blue situation.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

SB11

Negative sir, there is an additional key bind dubbed "Sensor Control Switch Depress" that you use - if you don't have this bound I would encourage it.

Thanx for the reply. Can Mode 4 be performed with TWS or do you have to be on STT lock to do it?

Cheers

SB11

You can perform an IFF interrogation while using TWS as well, yes. Same command for this as when in RWS.

EDIT: added screenshot of control binding for reference, and sorry for it being rotated. Quick iPhone photo, and clearly a conflict in format/orientation.

Cheers,

Don

46618707-DE44-4CB3-A0E2-FAB0CBE00EC3.thumb.jpg.fdb5411b2a4361eb62bea931a20c6279.jpg

Edited by Ziptie
added screenshot of control binding reference

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Thanks sir, it’s just that in Wags tutorial he said sensor select switch depress and not SCS but I had the feeling he means SCS. Having said that, I managed to go mode 4 interogate on ACM mode depressing SCS , but not in TWS.

SB11

Thanks sir, it’s just that in Wags tutorial he said sensor select switch depress and not SCS but I had the feeling he means SCS. Having said that, I managed to go mode 4 interogate on ACM mode depressing SCS , but not in TWS.

SB11

Make sure you have depress the SCS when your TDC is over the radar contact. IFF won't automatically run on the L&S, you have to have it (and any other contact) under the TDC before you press the SCS.

Also, I feel like sensor select switch and sensor control switch are interchangeable at this point, at least in DCS and these forums.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Make sure you have depress the SCS when your TDC is over the radar contact. IFF won't automatically run on the L&S, you have to have it (and any other contact) under the TDC before you press the SCS.

Also, I feel like sensor select switch and sensor control switch are interchangeable at this point, at least in DCS and these forums.

so even there is an AWACS in server,when my radar have contact the target,i also need to press the SCS? because i find that in TWS mode,my SA page shows the enemy with the red symbol,when my my radar have contact the target,the symbol on SA page and radar DDI became yellow,and the HUD symbol is an box, not an diamond.

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

so even there is an AWACS in server,when my radar have contact the target,i also need to press the SCS? because i find that in TWS mode,my SA page shows the enemy with the red symbol,when my my radar have contact the target,the symbol on SA page and radar DDI became yellow,and the HUD symbol is an box, not an diamond.

If you notice the HAFU is smaller when you don’t have your own track, this is a surveillance track from the AWACS and depends entirely on the classification as HAFU from the AWACS. When you have radar contact yourself it then goes yellow as you will notice the bottom will still be a chevron (the AWACS is calling it hostile) while in the absence of your own IFF it can’t call it hostile and make it red ok the radar and a diamond on the HUD. Once again you IFF the target the combination of the lack of a mode 4 response along with the AWACS classification will make it meet the rules for hostile.

OKKKKKKK

that did the trick all right :thumbup:

thanx for the tip

SB11

Hello,

I have a different question about HUD symbology if I may please - is there please a way to show the FLIR seeker on the HUD ?

And also since I'm already asking about FLIR is there please a way to slew it to a waypoint ? Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Check this

Hello,

I have a different question about HUD symbology if I may please - is there please a way to show the FLIR seeker on the HUD ?

And also since I'm already asking about FLIR is there please a way to slew it to a waypoint ? Thanks.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4191476&postcount=31

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta