Glass reflection enhancement (.dds)

Hi there!

I recently started my DCS UH-1 Simulation Experience and would like to mod the reflection of the Windshield glass.

I can`t quite understand how the reflection/dirt works on the .dds file. I tried editing the UH1_glass_refl.dds and experimented.

test.jpg

But:

1. How can I achieve the scratches reflections (top left in the following picture) if I look to the sun like @petsild did in this one? Is it another file?:

Screen_181016_084123.jpg

2. Are there other files to edit if I want to add to the glass? I tried testing uh1_cockpit_glass.dds but it has no effect on my UH-1. Could it be a graphics setting or is this file not used anymore?

3. I read somewhere, that the UH-1 got native scratches from the Developers on some update *if you look to the sun* but my untouched glass looks absolutely transparent like there is nothing there. (Steam version 2.5.3) Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!!!

I don't own the Huey, but I assume it follows the same logic as the rest of of the modules. I'm going to apologize in advance, I'm quite an amateur modder and I'm not very familiar with proper terminology etc, but you might still find some of this useful.

glass_refl.dds is used for having fixed textures on the glass and it works by using an alpha channel. This can be used to put non-dynamic elements on the glass (pre-baked reflections), if you wish so. Otherwise, you should leave it as is (should be light gray for the most part or something).

To add dynamic reflections (to an extent), you need to add a roughmet texture, named uh1_glass_refl_Roughmet.dds, that gives material attributes to the previously mentioned texture. I'd advice you to look at modules that have canopy glass reflections, if you have them, in order to understand how it works. You can look at the F-16, F-14, M-2000C, AV-8B, and the WW2 birds. Probably more, that I'm forgetting. Keep in mind that that adding a new custom texture won't let you go online on servers that require pure textures.

This is a great thread for PBR textures in DCS that I found recently: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193596

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Those scratch is control by a 256x256 normal map, and nearly all module use it, could be a 193k bmp or 46k PNG (same content). In 3dsmax you give a material with this normal map to the glass, then DCS engine show scratch automaticly while you looking at the sun. So basically here's nothing modder can do with it unfortunately.

Thanks Harker,

It is going to take some loong time until I go online, firstly struggeling with a simple landing in a campaign :joystick: I'm actually happy with non-dynamic reflections found somewhere here in the forum (they appear if I turn on the cockpit light), but trying to make:add a clean-wiped glass like found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105719 Unfortunately uh1_cockpit_glass.dds seems to have no effect on my huey. Kinda hard to edit the UH1_glass_refl.dds file where reflections - and - dirt on glass is in one file. Logically I would think that there would be two textures, one for fake-reflections and one with the dirt/stains on the windshield :smilewink:

Those scratch is control by a 256x256 normal map, and nearly all module use it, could be a 193k bmp or 46k PNG (same content). In 3dsmax you give a material with this normal map to the glass, then DCS engine show scratch automaticly while you looking at the sun. So basically here's nothing modder can do with it unfortunately.

Hey mseraser :) Do you know if these scratches are enabled by default or how to enable it? I understand the logic of it, it is a good solution. I don’t see them with my untouched huey, also not on the highest graphics settings.

Thanks again!