DCS Preparation Plan

HoneyViper

Hey guys, so I don't currently have a computer that can run DCS, but I am saving my pennies to eventually splash out on a nice system that can run VR in six months or so. In the mean time, I'm trying to teach myself as much about fighter ops as I can. Little by little I am learning more about aircraft types, missile types and BFMs (started that one yesterday :D)

So here's my plan to get as fully up to speed before the day finally arrives when I put on those VR goggles and take off from a carrier in my F/A-18 (yes, I've already decided that I'm going F/A-18C for my first fighter, this is a homage to 90s kid me making plastic models).

1) Familiarise myself with aircraft type and missile types: Started this about a month ago. For this one I have made electronic flash cards of dozens of different aircraft and missiles, testing myself on pictures and specs. A month ago I couldn't tell a MiG-31 from an Su-24, now I can visualise most of the modern combat aircraft of the last 50 years and tell you a bit about their performance and history.

2) Familiarise myself with basic fighter manoeuvres: As I said above, I only started this one yesterday. I got a copy of the book Fighter Combat by Robert L. Shaw; the plan is to go through this book page by page, supplemented by YouTube videos (eg Art of the Kill) and other online material. I know you can only go so far just reading in theory, but the idea is that at least I have a theoretical understanding of BFM and am familiar with the lingo. Have to admit through, being thrown back into geometry and angles made my brain fizz out in minutes :prop:

3) Memorise the laying out an F/A-18C cockpit: I have the PDF of Chuck's guide and again using electronic flash cards I'm going to memorise all the knobs and switches as well as the sensor displays, again supplemented by YouTube videos for better appreciation.

4) Memorise steps of key procedures: Again using Chuck's guide, YouTube videos and flash cards, memorise the start-up, takeoff, landing and weapons delivery procedures.

5) General exposure to air operations: I purchased Command Modern Operations which is exposing me to weapons systems and approaches to warfighting. I've been listening to the Fighter Pilot Podcast and reading as much as I can about air combat. A lot to take in but it's all so fascinating.

So that's the plan until I can get my system. Happy to hear from others or get some advice from more experienced pilots!

Hey HoneyViper,

I, too, am totally new to DCS but wanted to share a great resource with you, that being GrowlingSidewinder's YouTube channel. So far it is the best source of air combat maneuvering technique I have found. He sets up combat with various aicraft and situations and maintains a running commentary throughout, explaining his actions and why. When the fight is over he switches to Tactical View and analyses the fight, step by step - I have learned so much just from watching his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh2rDh7vXGeoh1LlzL3QEwg

${1}

Welcome,

Grim Reapers channel is also a good starting place.He has some great videos on his channel.The F18C is a great module you'll have a ball with it.It can do it all, Air to ground, air to air,SEAD,Air to air refuelling,Carrier Operations. So you definitely won't be stuck in regards to things to do. Another tip for you is look into the mission editor as making simple missions you can load up instantly to practice in areas you think you need work on is invaluable. Not every module comes with instant action missions in the type you may need.Book mark the user files section of the forum so you can download and install Plane skins , Missions, Campaigns all for the best price ever of $0.00 and they are top notch. Anyway best of luck and say goodbye to family and friends because you're going down the rabbit hole very soon! Feel free to msg me or post on the forum if you get stuck because most people are only to happy to help each other out.:pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Hi HV.

I’m new as well. I admire commitment to preparation. You should do really well here.

Since I’ve arrived here in the new year, I’ve been flying by the seat of my pants. (Literally). There are some great folks on here for sure. My biggest issue is technical issues as I’m 50+ with basically zero formal computer training. My computer experience is very seat of the pants, but I’ve learned a lot. The payoff is going to be great when everything is dialed in. I’m hoping my hands and feet are much better than my skills getting set up.

Still shopping for a better computer. Oculus is collecting dust, but it’s been a good time to memorize my HOTAS functions prior to putting the headset on.

Look forward to some day seeing you up there. I sense you will excel.

(I just jotted this hardware info down so younger smarter people can help me troubleshoot possible flaws)

i7 9700K 3.7Ghz | ROG Strix RTX2080S GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB | WD 1TB-SSD | Corsair RGB 280mm Liquid CPU cooler | Asus TUF Z390-Plus w/DDR4 2666

TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswinds | HP Reverb G2

Let me double down on saying avoid much of the YouTube gamer channel content if you're looking for legitimate tactics. You've already put a ton of effort into learning things the way they're actually taught, which is awesome... unfortunately there are a lot of people there trying to speak from a position of authority and confidence with absolutely zero qualification. Always verify anything that comes from random channels. It's not always 100% wrong but it is very very frequently less than 100% correct. :thumbup:

Keep up the good work! As Portman suggests, familiarizing yourself with air traffic patterns and carrier approaches would also be a good investment if your time (and those are a lot easier to find legit info on than dogfighting tactics!)

Edited by feefifofum

Let me double down on saying avoid much of the YouTube gamer channel content if you're looking for legitimate tactics. You've already put a ton of effort into learning things the way they're actually taught, which is awesome... unfortunately there are a lot of people there trying to speak from a position of authority and confidence with absolutely zero qualification. Always verify anything that comes from random channels. It's not always 100% wrong but it is very very frequently less than 100% correct. :thumbup:

Keep up the good work! As Portman suggests, familiarizing yourself with air traffic patterns and carrier approaches would also be a good investment if your time (and those are a lot easier to find legit info on than dogfighting tactics!)

Interesting. The videos are certainly easier to digest, but yeah I'll refer to the more authoritative docs for confirmation as well. Cheers.

They're nice for visual learning of systems but the tactical stuff is almost always weird.

MagzTV, RedKite, and Jabbers all have very decent systems tutorials. The Reapers' stuff, Growling Sidewinder, and Spudknocker tend to be less grounded in reality. In fact Mr. Spuds recently tried to pass himself off as an actual military pilot, offering paid training to people online and got busted.

They're nice for visual learning of systems but the tactical stuff is almost always weird.

MagzTV, RedKite, and Jabbers all have very decent systems tutorials. The Reapers' stuff, Growling Sidewinder, and Spudknocker tend to be less grounded in reality.

This!

Old but gold, a basic introduction to BFM (Basic Fighter Maneuvers) by a real pilot:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I guess I could make the argument that since its a game, the Reapers are probably more “grounded I reality” than just about any. They teach you the basics of the sim, and also teach you not to take yourself too seriously. Some of their campaigns really stretch the potential of this “world”. Beats the hours of “pong” I played as a kid!

I love the ability to “check out” for an hour or so every once in a while but unless your butt has been in a real fighter, your not a fighter pilot.

Enjoy your time with it. It really is an amazing experience!

Regards

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

They teach you the basics of the sim

The problem is that they also "teach" quite a lot of wrong stuff. It happens quite often that they give plain wrong information...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Absolutely Biggs; not trying at all to qualify how the game is meant to be enjoyed, or say that watching Art of the Kill makes you an actual fighter pilot.

Just saying that if doings things "right" is what ignites your passion for the sim, there is a lot of bad info out there passed off as tutorials or guides, some willfully and with malicious intent. Stick to real pilots for as much tactical stuff as they are able to legally share.

HoneyViper, if you come across any good content please feel free to share with your fellow fledglings.

I just received my TrackIR today and hope to have my X56 HOTAS by mid-month. I'm always on the lookout for good instructional material on technique & tactics, ACM, etc., including flight basics. I would like to find some solid instruction on Nap-of-the-Earth & formation flying.

Absolutely Biggs; not trying at all to qualify how the game is meant to be enjoyed, or say that watching Art of the Kill makes you an actual fighter pilot.

Just saying that if doings things "right" is what ignites your passion for the sim, there is a lot of bad info out there passed off as tutorials or guides, some willfully and with malicious intent. Stick to real pilots for as much tactical stuff as they are able to legally share.

No worries, all good. It just happens that I got sucked into this totally on accident when I came across the Reapers. Watched them for years before I decided to give it a whirl.

Spend more time worrying about stepping on some zealots toes than I do trying to correct misinformation from Cap. And the boys!

Enjoy your new hobby at whatever level. Its great that you want to dig deeper. Aviation is remarkable!

Regards!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

What kind of an experience are you guys looking for? What aircraft, what kind of simulation, in the end?

If you wanted to do the training program really properly you'd start with Christen Eagle, then proceed to a trainer, before finally converting to an actual jet fighter or other mainstay combat aircraft :D

That said the L-39 apparently has a superb training campaign. Also do check out the Red Flag campaigns.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Had a look at the Red Flag Training Missions for the F/A-18. Are these suitable for absolute beginners? They seem somewhat advanced.

After reading all this advice, I'm torn between starting with the F/A-18 or something "simpler" like the L-39 per Varis's comment above.

In the first module I buy I'll be looking for step-by-step guidance on all the most basic functions of starting, flying and navigating an aircraft. Maybe the A-10 is better suited???

I'm new to DCS myself. I started with the SU-25T that comes with the game, then I bought the Flaming Cliffs module because it seemed like a good 'Starter Pack' and it gives you a few extra aircraft to play around with, albeit they're not high fidelity models with clickable cockpits. But it does give you a bit more variety to play around with and get a feel for DCS.

For my first high fidelity module I pre-ordered the Super carrier which automatically gives you the F/A-18. I think it's a good all round choice for your first hifi module. You can do bombing as well as air to air with it, it's a very popular module so there's lots of help and support out there for it. And I actually find it really easy to fly, compared to the SU-25T. In some ways I find the clickable cockpit easier to learn. I prefer to learn in what order to click switches rather than memorising keyboard shortcuts. Everyone's preference is different of course but personally I'm finding the F/A-18 a lot of fun.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

After reading all this advice, I'm torn between starting with the F/A-18 or something "simpler" like the L-39 per Varis's comment above.

In the first module I buy I'll be looking for step-by-step guidance on all the most basic functions of starting, flying and navigating an aircraft. Maybe the A-10 is better suited???

I don't know any pilot who's been active for a while and has only 1-2 modules :smilewink:

A-10 and F-18 both are fairly complex aircraft and the main risk I see with them is the feeling of being overwhelmed, there is quite a lot to chew. It may depend on the case, budgets, personality etc. I think people who come with a very rigid plan (idea what they are going to do) of set goals and schedules have the hardest time here. There is no other way than baby steps learning your aircraft and DCS.

The advantage with historic or trainer aircraft is that you get much more quickly to a point where you feel you master the basics and know all the functions they have (Mig-15 doesn't really have that much compared to a F-18 ). One really good option for you could also be the F-5E, I think mentioned (again) in a different thread, as it would let you do almost everything you've been planning for (no radar missiles etc though) but reportedly works well as a sort of an advanced trainer.

If you are prepared to take baby steps and psychologically capable of working a training program which you know you won't complete in a long, long time (it's harder than what it sounds), then there might be no issue with the F-18. It's one of the newer modules, popular, well made, extensive, the flight model is very good... Just don't expect to chase migs off the sky on day one, the learning curve and the depth of enjoyment DCS offers is much longer and deeper than that.

When you're new to DCS it's reasonable to expect a few false starts and a couple of roadblocks, but there's also the community to help you. Start with humble mind and expect the unexpected. Eventually you'll try out different aircraft before you find the one that really clicks and is tons of fun to fly. But learning your 2nd aircraft is already much easier - not only because you learned to learn new aircraft - you already know also DCS with all its functions, mission setup, camera angles, h/w setup... Lets you relax in your chair and concentrate on the feeling of discovery with the new aircraft itself.

Also don't miss videos as a source of training/preparation, the community puts out a lot of quality content.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I would suggest an older steam gauge fighter or a trainer.

The L-39 is superb as is the C-101 Aviojet. The C-101 is a 3rd party release and is their only release..... they almost always update this module monthly as it is their true passion!

Learn the steam gauges as they are generally the same in every aircraft that will follow, even the MFD modern airframes. As you go every module will get easier as there is less to learn as you progress.

When you move onto the more modern airframes, print out the manual and separate the cockpit descriptions from everything else.... 2 different binders, one is specific to the office, the other is specific to working the office and both can be examined simultaneously.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Run dcs in motor mode at a lower setting so you can learn by doing when I got an hour in the real f-16 sim in 95-96. The visual was green wireframe from my recollection so the training can be done without all the flash of the realistic visual. So if your computer will run dcs in monitor mode or if possible vr without the high settings as long as you get 40-45 FPS in vr you should be golden for learning the aircraft and fighter fundamentals.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Welcome, HV. You sound like you'll do fine ) I.d suggest taking it easy and focusing on the basics first, it can be a bit overwhelming if you try to do too much at once. After you get the hang of your first one, you'll find there's not that much difference between planes. By that I mean the basic principles are the same between all of them, and a lot of the systems are pretty similar, too, even if you go about things slightly differently. Learning one makes it easier to learn another and so on.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2