CANNOT REPRODUCE] HUD too close in VR ?

lanmancz

Hello,

so I recently got Rift S and of course I tried DCS which looks fantastic but it seems to me that the HUD is projected right in front of your nose in VR - like it does not look like it's displayed on the actual HUD glass but rather right in front of me, I have to focus my eyes really close (like looking at something right up to my face) to see it in focus. Is this how it's supposed to be ? Because that seems pretty weird to me. Is there please any config/ini/LUA file where I can tweak this and move the HUD projection focus further back so it actually looks like it's projected on the HUD glass ?

Thanks for any tips.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Re-Centre key works for me when I find my face right up against the front panel. I just move my head closer the front dash and press vr re-center and that does it.

There is also keybinds for moving camera view. I I believe it is cltr+shift+ / or *

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

That's not what I mean though. Yeah I can move forward and back and that's fine but what I mean is that the HUD projection in VR is not projected on the HUD glass but "pops out" way closer to my eyes. It's pretty weird sensation I'm quite sure it's not supposed to be like that. For example when I activate HMD and look away then the projected HMD HUD is fine, about where I'd expect it. But the main HUD projection focus point is way closer than the HMD HUD projection. I'm not sure if I'm describing clearly what I mean, it's a bit tricky cause you can't make a screenshot :-)

edit: To illustrate what I mean I made a little drawing. I'd expect the focal point of the HUD projection to be about where the HUD glass is but what I actually see is the projected HUD floating way closer to my face. I have to focus my eyes way closer to focus on the projected HUD, it's very weird. I think that the focus point of the HUD in the Z plane should be further away from the viewer because currently it's pretty strange and does not seem right at all. At least on my end but I have clean fresh DCS stable install, no mods or anything. Everything else looks fantastic (not just in DCS but other VR games as well, for example I also fly Xplane and some planes with HUD there do not have this problem, this is why I immediately noticed that it does not look right).

HUD.thumb.JPG.db72276a61d657ba2a79be7c8f415ec7.JPG

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Hm it is strange. It seems to be an issue only with the F18. I just tried the F16, A10 and F15 and they look fine (although the F15 does look a bit weird too, there also the focal point does not seem to be quite right). It's mostly an issue with the F18 for me. Actually the F16 looks best in my opinion as the HUD looks projected "behind" the actual glass - that looks correct and it's comfortable to look at, while as I said I see the F18 HUD way in front of the actual glass which is quite weird to look at.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How about a screenshot? That would help us see what you're trying to describe.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

How about a screenshot? That would help us see what you're trying to describe.

That's the tricky part, 3D screenshot is not really possible is it ? My issue is with the depth perception of the F18 HUD in VR, not really something I can make a screenshot of. I tried to pay closer attention to the HMD vs the main HUD depth and in fact they seem to be the same. It's just when you see the main HUD not being projected in between the HUD glasses and the little brackets that hold the glass and you can clearly see that the projection is closer to my eyes than the glass which the HUD is supposed to be projected on it is very weird to look at (and not something you can really replicate IRL since it's an artifact of a completely synthetic image in VR). As I said I think that the depth of the projection should be further back, currently I see it too close to my eyes - in front of the actual HUD glass.

edit: After a while I'm getting kinda used to it. It does look weird and not correct in my opinion (as I said for example the F16 HUD looks fine) but I guess I can live with that for now. I'm currently totally blown away by the overall VR experience in DCS anyway (!!!) - I spent last 3 hours just flying around not really doing anything, just flying in canyons and on top of trees, because it's so damn cool! :-) Still it would be nice if there was a way to tweak the depth of the projected HUD to my liking so if anyone has any idea where this might be configured (if at all) it would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is very strange, I'd try a repair or something. the HUD should look like its projected at infinity so it should actually look like its out over the nose of the aircraft. It certainly shouldn't require any focusing for you to see it properly, you should be able to look at the horizon and see the HUD clearly at the same time. I don't see anything like this in the Hornet in the sim, with the Rift-S as well.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.