VR controller configuration ?

lanmancz

Hello,

is there please a way to reconfigure the binding and behavior of the VR touch controllers ? For example :

- reconfigure what each button does

- disable the virtual hand interaction with things unless I actually press a button on the controller (sometimes I accidentally press something when I don't want to)

- and on top of the last point - disable interaction of the virtual hand with the stick that is hidden (this seems like a bug). For example in the F18 when I want to press something on the central MFD the hand messes up the virtual stick which I have hidden, which is slightly annoying

I don't think I've seen any option to configure these things in the menu so is there perhaps some cfg or lua file I could edit ? Thanks for any tips.

EDIT: Since this got moved into wishlist here's a summary of what I'd like to see:

• make VR controller buttons and axis remapable, give us more options to customize the behavior
  • make the VR interactions more intuitive rather than a "mouse simulation" (grab a switch or rotary with a press of a button, push, pull, drag or rotate to naturally manipulate the item with the movement of your hand)
  • make an option for the virtual hand to NOT interact with things unless I press a button on the controller (to prevent unwanted interactions)
  • disable interaction of the virtual hand with a stick that has been hidden in options

Thank you.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

No, and it is sad.

such feature should have been in first updates.

ED, please make touch controllers possible be binded as normal controllers, so two mini-sticks, touch on buttons and sticks as well press on buttons and then two axis on both.... and if possible to adjust gyro....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Oh, well that's disappointing. Today I tried DCS in VR for the first time and immediately I wanted to remap and configure how the controllers behave. I hope this is a high priority item for VR improvement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Why using the hand controllers? I use my mouse clicking on buttons and menues and then my headset to slew the green crosshair so it points on the correct button that I want to interract with. The majority of functions are binded to my throttle and joystick.

Yeah I guess I could do that but it's pretty cool to actually use your hands to manipulate things in VR rather than with a mouse. I also fly Xplane and there the VR manipulation is excellent - you use the virtual controller to point at things, you grab them with a button on the controller and you push or pull or rotate in whatever direction the control requires (like if its a switch or a button or a knob also taking into account its orientation in the 3d space). Also the virtual hand does not interact with anything unless I acutally do press a button on the controller so you dont press things accidentally by just trying to position your hand over a control you're interested in. That's pretty ideal and very intuitive behavior in my opinion and they nailed it in Xplane. Also you can remap any button or axis you want. I'd very much like to see similar control in DCS.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why using the hand controllers? I use my mouse clicking on buttons and menues and then my headset to slew the green crosshair so it points on the correct button that I want to interract with. The majority of functions are binded to my throttle and joystick.

1) Far greater immersion when you need to move your hands around cockpit to operate it.

2) Far greater learning speed when your muscle memory is part of the process what and where you operate.

3) You can operate aircraft while you look away from the control you operate, if you have steady hand.

4) You learn to prepare aircraft for it task in correct times, like you do not take off your hands from HOTAS when you are middle of dogfight because you forgot to set master arm On. So you learn every aircraft designs for the tasks and appreciate every aircraft by totally different level as their designs are different. So you learn bad and good designs in each cockpit.

5) you don't need to bind anything extra to joystick and throttle but only the functions that belongs there, making it very easy to set up and fly those different aircrafts as you can just look at control that you operate. So no modifiers, multipliers, shifts etc.

It is as easy to grab a controller than it is a mouse in lap or side of controller. But it is far more useful to operate cockpit than any mouse.

And if you have hands tracking... It is completely different level... Once adapting these, mouse is obsolete controller in DCS that has no place there in VR.

The vr hand controllers don't function like gamepad/joysticks in Windows. They're only addressable at all through the vr API, which might not even allow what you're asking for. Realistically they'd be impractical to use along side an actual hotas, and likely lack the accuracy and sensitivity as a hotas replacement.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah... I think there are just too many types of VR controllers right now. There needs to be a API much like there is for other controllers (or they need to conform to that API) so they can be normally integrated. I think at the moment they all work differently and through the driver of the HMD. That would mean that either ED needs to program for each controller type, or each controller type needs to be similar in the HMD software (steam VR in our case)...

I'm sure they'll get there but honestly I prefer using the mouse and not the VR controllers right now.

I think the "Knuckles" controllers look super good, but eventually when the HMD tracks your hands in real time and displays them in game... Moving and with finger movement etc... Then ED will likely implement that. Anything less is a bit "odd".

I know... there are other oddities in VR... but IMO this one doesn't need dev time until they can REALLY do it justice... and the hardware just isn't there for that yet.

Again...

IMO :)

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

The vr hand controllers don't function like gamepad/joysticks in Windows. They're only addressable at all through the vr API, which might not even allow what you're asking for. Realistically they'd be impractical to use along side an actual hotas, and likely lack the accuracy and sensitivity as a hotas replacement.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In my experiece using a combination of HOTAS and controllers is fine. I'm using it this way in Xplane as well. I just have the controller in my lap so when I want to press some button I can just take it, do whatever I need to do and put it back. What I find impossible when using the view as mouse is reaching some controls down at the left and right console - I just cant twist my head that much, I'd break my neck :-) The controllers work pretty good imho. It would be nice to have some more control over the mapping though. Also it would be nice to be able to set that I only want the hand to interact with things when I actually press a button on the controller. This should probably be an option since the way it is currently might be useful when using the VR gloves I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ED has at least once changed the oculus touch controllers bindings. That means ED could very well make them bindable. It cant be impossible technically.

I actually think the VR controllers are probably better than hand tracking or the VR gloves. The reason I think is that unless you got an exact replica of the cockpit you will inevitably press things with your hands that you don't intend to, especially if your throttle and stick (or other HW controls like the MFDs) are not in the exact right place and size. For this reason I think the VR controllers are actually great. They enable you to interact with the cockpit in a very natural way, they give you feedback when you touch/press something (vibration) and they allow you to "confirm" what you want to do by pressing a button.

The only thing that could be improved in DCS is the way the VR interactions work. Currently the VR controllers in DCS are handled basically like a mouse simulation - you point at things and you press a button to simulate a mouse click or a mouse wheel, which is not ideal. I'd really like to point out Xplane11 as an example of VR cockpit interactions done right. As I mentioned you use the virtual hand to point at something and hold a button on the controller to "grab it". It then lets you to push, pull, drag or rotate in whatever direction is required to manipulate that thing you grabbed, whether it's a switch or a rotary or something - it takes into account the orientation of the item and your hand in the virtual 3d space and you just very naturally move the item in the desired direction. And you have a very fine control over it too, you can for example easily select a specific heading by rotating the heading bug, select a specific position of a multi-position switch, or select particular autobrake setting with the autobrake rotary, etc. The tracking in my experience is very precise so this is definitely possible (at least with my Rift S). In my opinion this is pretty much perfect and it's very intuitive because it behaves just as you would expect - moving a switch up moves it to the up position, rotating your wrist to the right rotates selected rotary to the right, etc. The controls behave just like you'd expect in real plane. If you can try for example the Zibo737 in VR - it's pretty great. I think implementing a similar control scheme would make the DCS VR experience better and I hope this will be added.

Edited by lanmancz
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...