Eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World

phant

I think it's something from the Vietnam-era US. :) Which I wouldn't really mind. As long as it's not another Slammer bus. Of course, it could be the F-15C, quite a few people want that one, too. At any rate, I hope it's not another WWII module.

It could be Tornado, too, I suppose. I think Heatblur is looking at the Gripen, and with Rafale, I'm not sure Dassault would allow it. The French government isn't particularly secretive, but Dassault is known for being an ass to flightsimmers, particularly with regards to the Rafale.

I'm hoping for something, anything from the mid-to-late 60s to the early 90s.

I don't think ED had much interest in doing any of the Century series (which is a royal shame, especially for the F-104G, F-105D and F-100D). Wags did tease a ZSU-57-2 in his

, which is a system from the late 50s and was completely replaced by the early 70s. The S-75M/SA-2D that we have is from the early 70s, and I'm anticipating that the upcoming S-200/SA-5B is going to also be around the same era, so it would be great if we could get something that fits.

I'm not sure how interested ED were in doing an F-15C, though if it's that, it'll probably end up being be a more modern one.

Tornado would be nice, particularly Cold War IDS versions, though personally I'd prefer an F-111F (though that's probably more for Heatblur) or a LANTIRN equipped Strike Eagle (I know RAZBAM are doing a more modern one, but I'm personally not holding out too much hope for it).

I would love a LANTIRN equipped F-16C Block 40, or even an F-16A Block 15, but given that we already have a mid-2000s Block 50, I'm not sure how financially viable it is for developers.

I'm personally not that interested in more post 2000s assets, particularly if there's going to be nothing peer that fits them (apart from 4-5 Chinese naval assets and like 3 tanks). If we're going to get a Gripen I'd rather it be a mid-90s JAS-39A or an initial JAS-39C (early 2000s). Same goes for the Rafale C/M. Though I don't think that either of these aircraft are particularly likely.

So the question remains, just what could it be?

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I would be quite pleased with the Gripen. I would prefer the Mirage 2000-5, but that would be a non-sense because of Razbam’s M2000C. A high fidelity Mig 29 would be good too. Sad to think that none of them will come soon...

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

By these comments it looks like a lot of people are not up to date on the latest statements regarding new forth coming aircraft.

Heatblur next project they would like to do if they can obtain a license for is the A-6 Intruder.

RAZBAM has these aircraft in the pipline to complete the Falklands map

A-58 Pucara

Mirage III (or) IAI Dagger (either one, not both)

Dassault Super Etendard

Sea Harrier FRS.1

Below is an interview with ED in which they stated they have no interest in doing the F-15C, Super Hornet, Tornado and others.

What could it be, then? The Apache? Cobra? As far as "eagerly anticipated aircraft" go, we've got clear confirmation that it's not any of those that people actually want. Not F-15C, not F-4, not Tornado, not Century series, not Russian... That pretty much leaves either a helo or a WWII module. The former, I wouldn't mind that much, but I do not have any WWII modules and will not be buying any.

What could it be, then? The Apache? Cobra? As far as "eagerly anticipated aircraft" go, we've got clear confirmation that it's not any of those that people actually want. Not F-15C, not F-4, not Tornado, not Century series, not Russian... That pretty much leaves either a helo or a WWII module. The former, I wouldn't mind that much, but I do not have any WWII modules and will not be buying any.

Yeah, just what could it be?

The module is supposed to be, from the 7th February 2020 newsletter, the module is supposed to be "an eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World. This will be a highly detailed and complex aircraft representing a huge milestone"

IIRC the module so far is:

• Unannounced (so not the F-4)
  • Unteased (so probably not the Apache)
  • Not Russian
  • Unlikely to be any of the Century Series
  • Unlikely to be the Tornado
  • Unlikely to be the F-15C

If it's a huge milestone, that suggests some new technology (TFR? AESA?), or a milestone aircraft from a previous simulator (which is probably a Flanker, but we know the aircraft isn't Russian), if it's high detailed and complex it probably is not a WWII aircraft, I'm not saying they aren't highly detailed or complex, but relative to other modules, they're more simple (apart from maybe FDM and engine management).

Helicopter? Something like the Blackhawk/Seahawk/Pavehawk?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

"Highly detailed and complex" does seem to suggest a very modern bird. We do have a pretty decent idea of what it is not, and as Sherlock Holmes once said, "when you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth." :)

There's Rafale, but there are arguments against that, as well. There's Dassault's history with flight sims, and the fact that people would inevitably demand the addition of a Supercarrier-grade Charles de Gaulle to go with it (even if they had a land-based variant :) ). Also, ED had, so far, made only US and Russian aircraft, with exception of WWII modules. I would expect that trend to continue.

That leaves... the F-111? Except side by side multicrew is problematic, and it'd be required there. The Stinkbug? Old, likely classified, only two bombs, and nobody wants that one, anyway. F-35? Well, that'd be a big surprise, considering it's still rather classified, but if they landed a military contract and were allowed to do a consumer version, it could happen. Superbug? Pretty sure that'd be too close to F-18C, even if it isn't too classified.

Out of those, Rafale and Super Hornet seem to be the least improbable, and the former seems more likely of the two, but I wouldn't put my money on either. Given the above, I would expect the new announcement to be a helicopter. If Apache being teased makes it unlikely, then the Super Cobra remains a possibility. IMO, next to the Apache it would be a little redundant (it's not quite as capable), but it is complex enough and could be quite popular, too.

Yeah, just what could it be?

The module is supposed to be, from the 7th February 2020 newsletter, the module is supposed to be "an eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World. This will be a highly detailed and complex aircraft representing a huge milestone"

IIRC the module so far is:

• Unannounced (so not the F-4)
  • Unteased (so probably not the Apache)
  • Not Russian
  • Unlikely to be any of the Century Series
  • Unlikely to be the Tornado
  • Unlikely to be the F-15C

If it's a huge milestone, that suggests some new technology, so probably not a WWII aircraft...

Helicopter? Something like the Blackhawk/Seahawk/Pavehawk?

You forgot to mentioned that it is supposed to be "mind melting". ????

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Well If its not a century and its not a Teen since we have them all, it has to be NAVY. A-7 and F-8 are already announced by 3rd parties...

Maybe it is THE Sandy?

After all, its not the Phantom II or the Tornado, and not Russian I can´t think of many more "anticipated", "Mind melting" bla, bla, bla aircraft... Well the Thud but shit its a century ....

I am missin the "milestone" thingy thow.... or maybe its the FIRST of the Vietnam series LOL

I think its an F-22, think about it!

Milestone- A full fidelity stealth aircraft is definitely a milestone.

Extremely Complex- Stealth

Mind Melter- I'd say an F-22 is mind melting, other guesses such as the Rafael and Gripen are hardly what you would call mind melting, they would simply be yet another 4th gen multirole.

The only argument against the F-22 is that its too classified, but ED already has a good relation with the US military, the F22 itself entered service 15 years ago, and many other countries such as Russia and China have their own stealth fighter programs.

If it were upto me, I would prefer a Mig-31BS or Mig-31BM, but, alas, the mind melter isn't Russian. I can only see it being the F-22 or the F-35, out of which the F-22 is more likely.

The only aircraft I can think of being considered mind melting that would be some what feasible to do would be the F-117 Nighthawk. The SR71 could also be considered mind melting but because it is basically just a spy plane it would not have much use in DCS.

1-night-stalker-peter-chilelli.jpg.a4532407435185d724fb5b29d6d4a93c.jpg

• Like 1

Welp, its capabilities are too limited compared to hornet or viper both in terms of variety and amount of weapons and flight characteristics

Its mission is entirely different. Or you say that F-16/18 has better stealth night attack capabilities?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

They defenitely have better night attack capabilities, but they're not stealthy, sure. I just cannot see any use of F-117 in MP when there are way more powerful planes that don't need stealth to be used successfuly

The use in MP depends on the mission. Who says it has to be top MP pick? It's kinda lone rider. But we had this discussions already in any F-117 wish thread. btw: I doubt it's our "eagerly awaited" one.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I hope this will not turn into christen eagle hype incident. A Russian fighter, Apache, F-4 and Tornado are the most wanted modules in common that are not revealed by ED or 3rd parties. If it is not one of them, then it is very hard to say this plane is eagerly awaited for all.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

If it were upto me, I would prefer a Mig-31BS or Mig-31BM, but, alas, the mind melter isn't Russian. I can only see it being the F-22 or the F-35, out of which the F-22 is more likely.

Quite the contrary, the F-22 is a US-only, ultra-high tech that was produced in limited numbers and saw limited use. Most notably, its real performance numbers are still under wraps. The F-35, OTOH, is highly exported (so any info about it it's less sensitive), has a unique interface and is a VTOL, which in combination make it a more likely candidate, I think. Of course, I don't think either of them is likely at all.

The Stinkbug is highly unlikely. Not complex enough, single mission, very limited payload. It's certainly not something that niche.

I really start to believe that F-35 is it. Given that military contracts are getting mentioned by ED all the time now and seem to get more important and that so many other candidates can be ruled out, it may be the only aircraft left that ticks all the boxes. I think it would be very plausible that the US armed forces want a DCS like simulator on such an widely used aircraft. Also remember: a few months ago nobody would have thought that such modern plane like the Typhoon would be possible. Now we are gonna get it.

• Like 1

It'll be the the F4U, where the ”huge milestone” and complexity is getting a gull-wing capable flight model and being the first WWII carrier airframe with the new damage model. And it's hugely anticipated by the CEO, which is all that matters. :P

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

It'll be the the F4U, where the ”huge milestone” and complexity is getting a gull-wing capable flight model and being the first WWII carrier airframe with the new damage model. And it's hugely anticipated by the CEO, which is all that matters. :P

Already announced by Magnitude 3 and shown last year at VFAT. Although a very sexy plane, I don't think it fits, especially since WW2 DCS is still pretty niche within the DCS community. Next guess!

I really start to believe that F-35 is it. Given that military contracts are getting mentioned by ED all the time now and seem to get more important and that so many other canidates can be ruled out, it may be the only aircraft left that ticks all the boxes. I think it would be very plausible that the US armed forces want a DCS like simulator on such an widely used aircraft. Also remember: a few months ago nobody would have thought that such modern plane like the Typhoon would be possible. Now we are gonna get it.

Once you leave out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Right? :lol:

Something with stealth would definitely be a huge step forward for DCS as a whole. It would push the boundaries of every module's radar system, how RCS is taken into account, how IRST is used to identify targets when radar is not returning anything, etc. It is possible (like you say, Typhoon's coming, so why not)...

• Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Oh well, the Zero then, for similar reasons and the complexity is how much they had to search to find any kind of useful information about it. ;)

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

God I hope it isn't any 5th generation anything, particularly when close to literally every other asset in DCS peaks before the 90s...

The last thing DCS needs IMO is another generation of aircraft that isn't going to be anywhere close to comprehensive, with no assets that fit.

• Like 1

System:

I really start to believe that F-35 is it. Given that military contracts are getting mentioned by ED all the time now and seem to get more important and that so many other candidates can be ruled out, it may be the only aircraft left that ticks all the boxes. I think it would be very plausible that the US armed forces want a DCS like simulator on such an widely used aircraft. Also remember: a few months ago nobody would have thought that such modern plane like the Typhoon would be possible. Now we are gonna get it.
I'm starting to think you're right.

Funny that somebody just announced they're making a full clickable mod with EFM and the different variants though...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yeah if it's not a century series, Phantom, Apache or Russian jet, only a 5th gen would classify as mind-melting and highly complex. Out of those the F-35 is the most likely candidate because it's so common, and honestly at some point it will be a DCS flagship product because it's the new F-16. Still, I find it surprising that we're already talking about it. I thought it would be years before talk of that module would be a thing...