if you do not want to break your neck to check your six in VR

lefuneste01

I updated the guide, it is now possible to use either Driver4VR or FreePie + Razer Hydra drivers (without controler, of course).

To simplify things, I will only maintain this post : https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/58417-how-to-add-rotation-angle-to-check-your-six-in-vr/

Beware that you must select the "seated option" for DCS.

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

To look left:

1. Look right

2. Reset view

3. Look left

4. Look straight

5. Reset view

To look right:

——"——

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

No thanks, I much prefer the 1:1 tracking and realism I get from VR as it is intended to be.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Taking the Russian pragmatic approach, a swivel chair...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

No thanks, I much prefer the 1:1 tracking and realism I get from VR as it is intended to be.

+1 :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

To have realism you should have the same FoV and non bluried or distorded view than in reality. Unfortunately, with limited FoV (even with Pimax), distortion, sweetspot of VR HMD, that's not the case. So you don't have realism, you have more difficulty. Fighter pilot are not flying with blinders.

Anyway, if you don't have minimal "reality" feel, you'll be sick in VR.

I found that 45° offset is fine, I still had to turn my head a lot, but I can have a clear view of behind, and still have a very good "realism" feeling.

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 1

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

To look left:

1. Look right

2. Reset view

3. Look left

4. Look straight

5. Reset view

To look right:

——"——

To look left : turn your head to the left as much as you can, push a button to add angle if needed, release button when you've seen. That's it.

I tried the re center long time ago, it made me sick and take too much time in dogfight.

To have realism you should have the same FoV and non bluried or distorded view than in reality. Unfortunately, with limited FoV (even with Pimax), distortion, sweetspot of VR HMD, that's not the case. So you don't have realism, you have more difficulty. Fighter pilot are not flying with blinders.

Anyway, if you don't have minimal "reality" feel, you'll be sick in VR.

I found that 45° offset is fine, I still had to turn my head a lot, but I can have a clear view of behind, and still have a very good "realism" feeling.

Sorry but it feels pretty realistic to me. Therefore for me, it is.

No one said it would be easy.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

To have realism you should have the same FoV and non bluried or distorded view than in reality. Unfortunately, with limited FoV (even with Pimax), distortion, sweetspot of VR HMD, that's not the case. So you don't have realism, you have more difficulty. Fighter pilot are not flying with blinders

Its of course a matter of taste but I really like the VR gaming. Did a lot of car racing on PC 20 year ago, but not that much flying games. To abstrakt on a 2D flat screen.

Now with VR I like ( love actually) car racing and I also do a little DCS, mainly because the gaming friends does DCS. With VR it does the trick.

Real ACM/dogfighting is rather much about turning and twisting the head and timing it with onset of G-forces. We cant reproduce the G-forces at home but with VR we actually get that feeling of turning and twisting the head.

I fly for the living ( Airforce) and do at least two weeks each year in a advanced full flight simulator(20M USD or E). Over the years on different types and the current one is top notch modern with really good graphics. Still even with 9 or 11 projectors or something like that the field of view is limited. You cant look more than about 120 degrees L or R from straight ahead, there is no picture. The graphics are that good that sometimes you dont notice immediately that the motion is forgotten in the OFF position.

Because of being projected on a white spherical screen you cant have to much brightness because it bleaches the colors and contrast. Because of this, there is a lot of things thats way better in a good VR setup than in a top notch simulator. For IRL purposes you still need the full flight sim to have a real cockpit to do real hands on for emergencys etc. For work, it cant be VR today because of this but for gaming id take VR ten times of ten before a full flight sim. In some cases I actually enjoy DCS in VR more than a real sortie at work(not kidding you).

My neck is starting to get worn out from >25 years of flying and 700hrs with NVG and the creaking and crackling from my neck does make a 100% authentic sound when dogfighting in DCS with VR :noexpression:

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Its of course a matter of taste but I really like the VR gaming. Did a lot of car racing on PC 20 year ago, but not that much flying games. To abstrakt on a 2D flat screen.

Now with VR I like ( love actually) car racing and I also do a little DCS, mainly because the gaming friends does DCS. With VR it does the trick.

Real ACM/dogfighting is rather much about turning and twisting the head and timing it with onset of G-forces. We cant reproduce the G-forces at home but with VR we actually get that feeling of turning and twisting the head.

I fly for the living ( Airforce) and do at least two weeks each year in a advanced full flight simulator(20M USD or E). Over the years on different types and the current one is top notch modern with really good graphics. Still even with 9 or 11 projectors or something like that the field of view is limited. You cant look more than about 120 degrees L or R from straight ahead, there is no picture. The graphics are that good that sometimes you dont notice immediately that the motion is forgotten in the OFF position.

Because of being projected on a white spherical screen you cant have to much brightness because it bleaches the colors and contrast. Because of this, there is a lot of things thats way better in a good VR setup than in a top notch simulator. For IRL purposes you still need the full flight sim to have a real cockpit to do real hands on for emergencys etc. For work, it cant be VR today because of this but for gaming id take VR ten times of ten before a full flight sim. In some cases I actually enjoy DCS in VR more than a real sortie at work(not kidding you).

My neck is starting to get worn out from >25 years of flying and 700hrs with NVG and the creaking and crackling from my neck does make a 100% authentic sound when dogfighting in DCS with VR :noexpression:

So which VR headset do you use with DCS?

I get my eyes tested and my peripheral vision is fine but I sometimes wonder why I really don't seem bothered by FOV in flying and race sims. I did have a Pimax 5K+ for a while and now have a Reverb so apparently I should feel like I am looking through a tube or something but somehow it just works fine for me.

That said I am not into competitive online flight combat preferring the immersion of just flying in VR and what I am sure top online aces would consider soft targets but I just can't get enough of it!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

So which VR headset do you use with DCS?

I had the Oculus Rift for three years(still have).

I did plan to buy Pimax8KX but it wasnt out (and also not confirmed working good enough yet).

So I got the Reverb and I think they are quite ok.

The plan is to get the 8KX as soon as it is out and confirmed that they work good enough.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I get my eyes tested and my peripheral vision is fine but I sometimes wonder why I really don't seem bothered by FOV in flying and race sims. I did have a Pimax 5K+ for a while and now have a Reverb so apparently I should feel like I am looking through a tube or something but somehow it just works fine for me.

That said I am not into competitive online flight combat preferring the immersion of just flying in VR and what I am sure top online aces would consider soft targets but I just can't get enough of it!

I notice the sweet spot is narrower in the reverb than in the Rift CV1. But not during gaming, then I just dont notice it. I turn my head without thinking so i look straight ahead on things.

Maybe, a lot of time in NVGs with 40 degree FOV has tought my subconsciousness to do it.

The extra FOV in PIMAX wont be used by most people to see things sharp.

It will be used mostly for periferal view where we doesnt really se things sharp or even by color..

Still, it of course increase the immersion level.

I too like to try and understand what it’s likr to be actually in the cockpit (without Gs) so I tilt my racing chair back about 35 degrees and find myself contorted in strange positions trying to look behind. It’s hard to do and I have actually hurt my neck in the process and a numb thumb and forefinger...

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I have a CV1 still and love it.

Gunnars Driver - do you fly helos, transports, or fighters? You don't need to do much looking back in transports, or even helos so much (I have about 550 hours in Md500 and R44 helos). I noticed when I flew in the Mig29 and Su27 about 13 years ago that I could see fairly well behind me, even in the 2 seaters, and when I sat in (didn't fly obviously) the single seat Mig and Su27, looking to my rear wasn't that hard.

Most of us can put our chin more or less on our shoulder, but that's about as far as the neck rotates. If you turn at your waist and your shoulders and point your shoulders at about 45 degrees, looking to your direct 6 using peripheral vision is easy.

I find in VR (Rift S/Reverb/Index/all the others) that it isn't - due to not being able to take advantage of peripheral vision, and only being able to put my chin on my shoulder thereabouts, seeing much past 4 and 8 oclock in VR is very hard - even in a swivel chair, if you're using HOTAS in desk mounts (monster) like I do, you can't easily swivel, and even if you don't have anything blocking the chair, it's pretty slow and cumbersome to swivel the chair compared to real life IMO.

I agree with others here that VR is much more realistic than other options, but IMO that realism starts to drop as you start looking beyond your 3-9 line, due to peripheral vision not being available in VR. I wish there was a solution in VR right now to make it as easy to look behind your plane to your 6 as it is in RL.

Just my opinion.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I agree with others here that VR is much more realistic than other options, but IMO that realism starts to drop as you start looking beyond your 3-9 line, due to peripheral vision not being available in VR. I wish there was a solution in VR right now to make it as easy to look behind your plane to your 6 as it is in RL.

Did you try the solution I gave with 45° angle ?

Did you try the solution I gave with 45° angle ?

Not yet, but I look forward to trying it at as soon as I get home to my DCS system. Looks promising.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Gunnars Driver - do you fly helos, transports, or fighters? You don't need to do much looking back in transports, or even helos so much (I have about 550 hours in Md500 and R44 helos).

Experience from jet and helo.

In a tactical scenario information you need to look around. Add that it is a formation low level at night with NVG, for example at the shooting range, two ship at night NVG and you are there, twisting and bending your head to see the other helo and also the target that the gunners are shooting at. You need to manouver the helo so that the target stays within the hard limits of the pintle machine gune limits. Not really less turning of turning the head than in ACM but less G off course.

I was going for the Pimax 8KX when upgrading recently but as it wasnt available I git the Reverb.

If 8KX get received well I will get it, as Im sure that increased FOV is the thing needed to gain the last part in immersion.

ok so how do you install it and use it ...

'should work'

As written ins the doc. There is nothing linked to the sim used, that's only a steamVR thing. And I tested quickly, it works in DCS.

As written ins the doc. There is nothing linked to the sim used, that's only a steamVR thing. And I tested quickly, it works in DCS.

Ok nice - any chance you can share your setup - and is this IC compliant ?

My old neck can't handle it but I can't fly anymore without VR :)

Thanks lefuneste01, for all your mod work..... I'm definitely giving this a go in IL2 and DCS when I get home tonight! S~

@Recon You would think they could get this as well as the zoom mod in this game by now :thumbup:

Edited by Hellcat

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2