f16c carrier ops

JRM

Hi,

I was wondering if theres a way to modify the lua files of the f16 in order to enable the hook in this jet, for the moment I have only managed to get the ai enabling the hook and landing in cv stennis but nothing more.

I also try by editing the wheel brake momentum force to max but doesnt seems to work to because when i touch groun the brake doesnt apply enough strengh.

Last year I heard about nets that carriers use to emergency landings, is nets are going to be deployed in dcs...at least in the super carrier?

Any idea will be grateful received.

THX

Edited by JRM

Why on earth do you want to land on a carrier in a Viper?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Indeed, such topics really make me cringe. :noexpression:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Interesting, thanks! The article describes pretty well though, why the F-16 is not carrier capable ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

F16 carrier ops makes just about as much sense as F-14 lunar ops.

It's not always about making sense or being realistic. Not all DCS players wish to adhere to a rigid, realistic game play. Some people just want to have fun in a fighter jet.

It's fine if that's what you like, there are plenty of very realistic servers and missions to play, and there are aerobatics servers for those of us who wish to play.

It's not always about making sense or being realistic. Not all DCS players wish to adhere to a rigid, realistic game play. Some people just want to have fun in a fighter jet.

It's fine if that's what you like, there are plenty of very realistic servers and missions to play, and there are aerobatics servers for those of us who wish to play.

Well since DCS does try to be as realistic as possible, maybe once they get the hook working they can insure that the landing gear functions like normal as well. Landing on a carrier is extremely demanding on the landing gear, hence why the Navy gear is so much more robust. With the vertical velocity we see in the Hornet and Tomcat during landing, the 16 gear should buckle under the force.;)

Well since DCS does try to be as realistic as possible, maybe once they get the hook working they can insure that the landing gear functions like normal as well. Landing on a carrier is extremely demanding on the landing gear, hence why the Navy gear is so much more robust. With the vertical velocity we see in the Hornet and Tomcat during landing, the 16 gear should buckle under the force.;)

I'm well aware. The hook is also nowhere near as robust, the arresting cables used on runways are much less abrupt than those used on the carrier. It wont stop me from trying.

The only reason would be if you're very low on fuel, your tanker also ran out of fuel or crashed... In that case you have a choice.... ditching into the water ( totall loss of hull) of park the viper on the deck.

I cannot find an other valid reason to operate from a carrier.

The only reason would be if you're very low on fuel, your tanker also ran out of fuel or crashed... In that case you have a choice.... ditching into the water ( totall loss of hull) of park the viper on the deck.

I cannot find an other valid reason to operate from a carrier.

ditching in the water and attempting to land on the carrier should have the same results in RL and hopefully DCS.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

ditching in the water and attempting to land on the carrier should have the same results in RL and hopefully DCS.

Maybe Im wrong... but I would think, irl, that if an F-16 unable to reach a land base and a carrier was nearby... they would have the pilot eject and then a chopper would go pick him up. :music_whistling:

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Yep - it provides the risk of damaging the carrier deck, killing crew and destroying aircraft parked on deck.

The appropriate response to this situation would be to come alongside and punch out.

I get the ‘in a sim’ wanting to see if you can land an unmodified Viper on a carrier, but modifying to make it ‘carrier capable’ doesn’t make much sense for day to day usage. If carrier ops are your thing and you want a Viper equivalent get the Hornet!

Well.... In that case the best option is to perform a low and slow pass-by and pull the eject lever, land your chute on the deck, file a damage report and enter the bar for a bottle of whatever.

Furthermore I hope that DCS keeps their focus on being a sim, and keep the gaming elements outdoors.

... land your chute on the deck, ...

The carrier going 20+ knots, plus wind...landing on the deck would be like jumping from a vehicle going 30+ miles per hour from 20 feet high (the chute have a high descend rate).

So ditching in the water and trying to land the aircraft on a carrier will likely hurt or kill the pilot and both will definitely destroy the F-16. Rather than doing either land on a carrier or ditch( ditch meaning to me flying the aircraft until it hits the water), I would eject in a control manner near a rescue force ( what ever that might be).

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..