Play DCS in 2d using VR headset?

ofcross

Hey!

Do you know if it is possible to play DCS in 2D but with your VR headset?

My graphics card is lagging behind now (gtx 960) and to play in "3d" I have to lower the quality a lot in order to have 30fps.

So I'm wondering if is possible to play in 2d using VR and take advantage of the 6DOF tracking?

Edited by ofcross

Yes, in terms of visualize all flat [no depth]

No, not like in a big screen in front of you.

Imagine it like watching a 360 video of dcs in YouTube. Using the 6DOF of the VR to look around/in-out

You can get this "effect" in the cockpit if you set the "Force IPD Distance" to 0, but the rest of the world stay in 3d[when I say "3d" I mean dcs still render 2 images, one per eye]. so I'm looking to make the world flat as well

why? dont buy a VR headset and use track IR, with a pro clip ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

why? dont buy a VR headset and use track IR, with a pro clip ...

Because my graphics card is not good enough for dcs in vr,[GTX 960] and at this time I cannot afford a new graphics card. so I want to use the VR headset... yeah, as a trackir.

In a non VR enviroment with the GTX960 using 3 monitors DCS runs at 45fps with almost all settings in High.

You can try asking on the oculus / wmr / vive / valve forums - this is likely a global setting you'd change in the drivers or software of the various headsets. There is likely a way for it to render only one eye's view spread to both lenses or something like that.

But I agree, even in 2D a VR headset is far more immersive than TrackIR, because everything is the right scale for starters, and looking around is far more natural than TrackIR (where you are doing some acrobatic movements with your eyes in opposite direction to your head movement hah). For existing VR users, just close one eye, and you can see that you don't lose that much immersion (compared to flat screen and TrackIR).

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

But I agree, even in 2D a VR headset is far more immersive than TrackIR, because everything is the right scale for starters, and looking around is far more natural than TrackIR (where you are doing some acrobatic movements with your eyes in opposite direction to your head movement hah). For existing VR users, just close one eye, and you can see that you don't lose that much immersion (compared to flat screen and TrackIR).

I don't feel alone anymore! :thumbup::pilotfly:

Because my graphics card is not good enough for dcs in vr,[GTX 960] and at this time I cannot afford a new graphics card. so I want to use the VR headset... yeah, as a trackir.

In a non VR enviroment with the GTX960 using 3 monitors DCS runs at 45fps with almost all settings in High.

On reddit there is an excellent post of using your vr as trackir. Just google it. I use it as well sometimes but after 30min i turn back to vr. I can’t stand the graphics in vr but in the tracking in trackir gives me headache. I’m going back to 2D and tracking using my rift cv1.

I use opentrack software (free) with my rift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

On reddit there is an excellent post of using your vr as trackir. Just google it. I use it as well sometimes but after 30min i turn back to vr. I can’t stand the graphics in vr but in the tracking in trackir gives me headache. I’m going back to 2D and tracking using my rift cv1.

I use opentrack software (free) with my rift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankyou!

I'll try to find it

I can't imagine wanting to play DCS on a monitor in VR headset. If on a monitor, then on a monitor is going to look so much sharper and cleaner. Yeah the image would be a lot bigger in the VR headset, but imho would look like crap.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I can't imagine wanting to play DCS on a monitor in VR headset. If on a monitor, then on a monitor is going to look so much sharper and cleaner. Yeah the image would be a lot bigger in the VR headset, but imho would look like crap.

I don't think it is meant like cinema mode in VR but simply both displays render the same image. The result should look like normal VR with one eye closed. I don't know if 2D could be done simply be doubling the same image for both eyes, though.

just a crazy idea. I wonder if vorpx would work. You could use a mode like cinema mode and maybe have head tracking. I'd post over at the vorpx forum and ask if its possible.

Hey, hello there!

Could you make it work using Vorpx?