DCS A-10C Functional Check Flight (FCF)

Snoopy

In preparation of the upcoming DCS A-10C 2 module I decided I wanted to fly a FCF profile on the A-10C in DCS World. An FCF is accomplished real world when an aircraft goes through major maintenance (depot level, phase) to validate systems perform correctly and the aircraft is safe. Only a handful of pilots in every unit are FCF qualified.

To do this I took the real world A-10C FCF TO and Checklist and made one, removing all the items that don't apply to the A-10C we currently have in DCS World.

/ - something doesn't work correctly but it isn't grounding

X - something is broken and real world the jet wouldn't be allowed to fly until it is fixed.

I attempted sortie 1 today (5 Feb 20) but had to ground abort due to the following (twitch video for those interested located here):

DCS A-10C FFC Sortie 1 (5 Feb 2020)

DCS World 2.5.5.41962

X
Caution lights not bright enough (new cockpit known issue)

/
Flood Light control knob – Thunderstorm lights turn on as soon as you adjust knob, they should only come on when you move the knob to “TSTORM” (BEFORE STARTING ENGINES STEP 11b)

X
Engine Chop Check – when throttle moved from idle to max (within 2 seconds) Core RPM should not exceed 70% (in sim core RPM goes to 75%) (BEFORE TAXI STEP 8 )

X
Left engine fails to suction feed (L MAIN & L WING pumps off) when at max power, engine shut down while verifying max limits (LINEUP CHECK STEP 2)

X
Right engine fails to suction feed (R MAIN & R WING pumps off) when at max power, engine shut down while verifying max limits (LINEUP CHECK STEP 2)

I had planned to continue but the left engine would not restart with APU or with #2 at max power even after turning the fuel pumps back on and resetting the DC Fuel pump.

Attempt #2 is planned for Saturday 2 May.

Once I've completed all of the FCF profile I'll make tracks of each individual bug and share with ED. ED can choose to use or disregard this information.

Edited by Snoopy

Would you mind posting the checklist you created? Would be very cool to take a look.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• 2 months later...
Are they going to consult you when building the A-10C2 Snoopy? I don't mind paying for it if you say it's ok to release it.

btw...Do you know if it will be this year?

I don’t have any official connection with ED so no I’m sure they won’t ask me to consult. As to when it’ll be released I have the same information as everyone has that’s read Kate’s latest post.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=269757

According to that the A-10C is mid term meaning:

”Mid Term - we have a firm list of tasks and we trust that it might be delivered in less than 9 months.”

Amazing, thanks for contributing this effort. Very interesting for the "ultra-realism" crowd.

Much Appreciated.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2020 at 9:19 PM, Snoopy said:

In preparation of the upcoming DCS A-10C 2 module I decided I wanted to fly a FCF profile on the A-10C in DCS World. An FCF is accomplished real world when an aircraft goes through major maintenance (depot level, phase) to validate systems perform correctly and the aircraft is safe. Only a handful of pilots in every unit are FCF qualified.

To do this I took the real world A-10C FCF TO and Checklist and made one, removing all the items that don't apply to the A-10C we currently have in DCS World.

/ - something doesn't work correctly but it isn't grounding

X - something is broken and real world the jet wouldn't be allowed to fly until it is fixed.

I attempted sortie 1 today (5 Feb 20) but had to ground abort due to the following (twitch video for those interested located here😞

DCS A-10C FFC Sortie 1 (5 Feb 2020)

DCS World 2.5.5.41962

X
Caution lights not bright enough (new cockpit known issue)

/
Flood Light control knob – Thunderstorm lights turn on as soon as you adjust knob, they should only come on when you move the knob to “TSTORM” (BEFORE STARTING ENGINES STEP 11b)

X
Engine Chop Check – when throttle moved from idle to max (within 2 seconds) Core RPM should not exceed 70% (in sim core RPM goes to 75%) (BEFORE TAXI STEP 8 )

X
Left engine fails to suction feed (L MAIN & L WING pumps off) when at max power, engine shut down while verifying max limits (LINEUP CHECK STEP 2)

X
Right engine fails to suction feed (R MAIN & R WING pumps off) when at max power, engine shut down while verifying max limits (LINEUP CHECK STEP 2)

I had planned to continue but the left engine would not restart with APU or with #2 at max power even after turning the fuel pumps back on and resetting the DC Fuel pump.

Attempt #2 is planned for Saturday 2 May.

Once I've completed all of the FCF profile I'll make tracks of each individual bug and share with ED. ED can choose to use or disregard this information.

Snoopy, have you tried redoing the FCF with the A-10 lately? I'm just curious what state the module is in and how many features are missing or how many bugs there are.