Pilot Communication?

Zulu111

I would like to get an idea how one player can communicate with another player while flying together in a mission. What hardware and software do we need for this process please? Do you need to add a microphone accessory to the PC? Or is communication done through some texting app? Thanks.

shift+tab seems to be the default text communication for the game. You can use a microphone or headset with a few programs like TeamSpeak or discord if you prefer voice communication.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

I am currently using an Audio-technica ATH-M50 that I have now owned for years. TrackIr5 is snapped onto the left side. For microphone, right now I am using a rode microphone setup on my desk. In the past, I've relied heavily on Antlion's wired microphone attached to the headset with no issues. I literally got the rode to convince my wife to try her hand at doing videos because she expressed an interest, and I needed a new mic anyway.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

It really depends on the server, and the crowd. Usually the server's briefing page will give relevant communication apps, IP addresses, and in-game frequencies for SimpleRadioStandalone (SRS). Text chat works in all servers. I've never tried the native VOIP system in DCS.

You could also probably find this information in the websites of the server or squadron that hosts it.

What do players use for a headset & mic, any suggested models or brands please?

I use the Thrustmaster Air Force headset - I'd recommend it.

SRS for in game comms, as it provides a semi realistic "feel" but many MP servers require the use of Discord when it is more of a "public" setting. I personally dislike Discord as you typically get a bunch of people chatting and talking about things that really make zero difference to the mission.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Really, if it's just you and your buddy, grab TeamSpeak, one of you plays server and you guys can chat all you want without interference from the rest of the world. Actually you can use Skype as well... in fact if it's just the two of you, I'm sure there are about a thousand solutions like Skype, TeamSpeak, "Discard" (LOL so unintentionally true :lol: ) and I can't even remember the half of them.

I got to know SRS on Hoggit servers, and Hoggit is spot-on with SRS, because they organized everything for SRS already. One freq. for ATC (sometimes human, otherwise players announce what they are doing on takeoffs and landings, so others are aware), GCI (sometimes human, otherwise the standard Overlord announcements and queries), a gen comm freq., one specific for CAP, one for CAS, one for Harriers, one for Hogs, and if you really just want to chat with your buddy, you can agree to an open freg, turn your in cockpit radio to that freq, and chat to your heart's content without disturbing anyone else. AWESOME. All that without having to switch out of DCS once.

The only advantage something like TeamSpeak has is that if the mission restarts or the server, and you are in your own private chat room in TS, comms are not affected. Disadvantage, you cannot easily invite anyone else.

I'm not using the DCS built-in, because it doesn't offer the functionality or comfort of SRS yet, and I really find it sucky that they will eventually steal SRS's limelight that they earned long before ED decided to finally get off their collective asses and do something finally. I guess they needed the SRS guys to show them how to do it first.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The new VOIP also works surprisingly well, just wish more people would use it. In a server of 70+ ppl i can almost never find anyone on comms, maybe 3 or 4 on discord.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

I´m flying coop missions with my brother each weekend and we use teamspeak. We join a public ts server and jump to an unoccupied channel room, but you can also easily start your own server.

The new VOIP also works surprisingly well, just wish more people would use it. In a server of 70+ ppl i can almost never find anyone on comms, maybe 3 or 4 on discord.

Hmm, seems like i´d have to take a closer look on that. I know the ingame VoIP from various other games beeing crappy and therefore never tried it in DCS...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2