Master Arm to use Flares?

Captain Orso

Is it really a WIP work around of some sort that you have to assert the Master Arm switch to access the dispensables programming page and that they actually function?

--

The Hornet is the second modern fighter that I'm learning, the Harrier being the first. I watching a video a DCS regular produced of an actual -former- Marine Harrier pilot flying the DCS Harrier. When he made a bombing run, directly after releasing one or two bombs that he switched Master Arm to off and commented specifically with something like, "we don't want to accidentally bomb anyone". So, this was his trained procedure and the way the aircraft functions -- you most certainly can deploy chaff and flares without the Master Arm switch asserted.

Stepping into the F/A-18 cockpit and not being able to program the expendables dispensers without asserting the Master Arm switch suddenly feels extremely clucky and wrong.

Does anyone know if this is how it works in Real-Life™?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Confident I flew last night in an 18c and was able to dispense in bypass mode while RTB with master arm safe. I was just faffing about..

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Thanks for the replies! :)

I was looking like crazy yesterday for the page. In the Harrier it's accessed through the RWR page only, so that's where I looked first in the Hornet, but the page is only available from the EW page when Master Arm is asserted, and before thinking about the Master Arm switch, I literally when through every page available first.

I hope this gets update sometime, because setting up expendables is something you should sort out before take off and not in the air.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Confident I flew last night in an 18c and was able to dispense in bypass mode while RTB with master arm safe. I was just faffing about..

Honestly, when I started writing this, I realized that I hadn't really tested what is possible in dispensing before hand, but I do recall that I couldn't fire flares without Master Arm asserted, just not every aspect. And I'm absolutely certain I couldn't find the programming page on the ground with Master Arm unasserted.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

It's about 12:25pm for me. The next time I could check would be in nearly 8 hours. It's possible I'm wrong though. I look forward to some solid info here.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

It's about 12:25pm for me. The next time I could check would be in nearly 8 hours. It's possible I'm wrong though. I look forward to some solid info here.

Thanks for the offer :thumbup: I tried it out and it worked without Master Arm switch asserted.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Thanks for the offer :thumbup: I tried it out and it worked without Master Arm switch asserted.

Nice! May your flares attract your opponents missiles and may your bombs glide true!

Art Of The Kill: