Hardest to Takeoff?

fatboy

Hi all we've had a hardest to land thread thanks to Igor4U (great thread BTW)

But what about getting it in the air?

I own all the modules except the hawk and the Christen Eagle II and hands down it's the I16 for me.That thing is squirly to take off.I get it up every time but it pains me to say it's not pretty.Cheers:pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Of the airplanes I've flown in DCS, I think the SU25t is actually the hardest to takeoff when its fully loaded. It's super easy to tip it over or go into PIO if you over control on the rudders, and its tires are easily burst. It also is easy to stall if you are too aggressive with rotation.

I feel like if you weren't paying attention, the SU family are easy to have a tail strike on takeoff. I'm currently practicing my takeoff in the 18c and sometimes the trim stays on instead of going to level flight. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Without a shadow of a doubt, the BF-109. The rest are fairly Cherry. I would say the FW-190 would be second and the Spitfire 3rd, but I have got those two down with no issues now. Practice is the best with any DCS modules. Start up, takeoff, patterns, and landings. OVER and OVER and OVER again will get you comfortable in no time. ESPECIALLY in VR. Had a hell of a time putting the Harrier down on the deck of the ship until I was in VR. First time in VR, I nailed it. Tear it up now and love flying the Harrier. Can not suggest VR enough. Your depth perception with Helos and everything in general is so much better.

FW190 for me. It's the power, but then I was doing it wrong and with too much power so I guess any warbird will be deadly if you do it wrong. Bf109 still wants to climb and lurch left and get a left wing stall but I can anticipate it now, I think it's a difficult question to answer because as I said, if you don't do any of them right, you will end up on your face! :)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Without a shadow of a doubt, the BF-109.

I spent a fair chunk of last week trying to figure out how to consistently and smoothly get the Bf-109 into the air. I watched the videos, read the guides, scoured the threads, and practiced the tutorials... and still couldn't get anywhere even vaguely approximating competency. :(

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

At one point I was decent (not what I would call good) but could get it in the air and not look stupid. I dropped off of flying it and now, just a tad bit ahead of square one. Landing is challenging too. Getting your speed down before you come in and not nosing her over and when you brake. Great fun learning to fly her. Once you have done it enough, it becomes easier. But I always go back to the Spit or the Mustang. Mustang is easy as pie to get in the sky.

for the longest time i wouldve said the gazelle. the very second i touched the collective, the thing would go full-retard and id have no control. if i was lucky, i could hold on for a few seconds- but like with a mechanical bull, the ride is always short and any sense of control is an illusion. those flights would end with something snapping, and me plummeting to the ground. most takeoffs pretty much resembled looney tunes tasmanian devil...on meth.

but then i checked the axis tune, and just needed to invert the collective. i was instantaneously going from 0 to 110% the second i budged the control. once i got the curve oriented, everything has been copacetic and the helo has been the most fun module ive had to fly

used to end up veering off to the left into a ditch when taking off the l-39 in the persian gulf. not so much anymore

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Any WWII module with assists turned off. Impossible.

+++

1) BF109

2) FW190

Very hard to takeoff without assistance.

Edited by Bl00dWolf

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

MacBook PRO 16' 2023 M3 Max (14cpu-30gpu), DDR5 36Gb, 1Tb + 2Tb 990PRO Ext

Actually, in case of warbirds the assists often make things worse, because you're not only fighting the airplane, but also fighting the computer at the same time, computer which messes up your own inputs and is not really that good in "assisting" after all. One can only learn bad habits from using one of these.

See the last two pages of this thread for an example:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259558&page=8

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Any WWII module with assists turned off. Impossible.

I chuckled when I read this. I always had a lot of trouble with warbirds in DCS until I discovered I had autoassist engaged. I was trimming and using the rudder on take off and I was fighting against the own assist.

Just turn it off, trim the plane and enjoy! Warbirds need a lot of rudder in almost every part of the envelope and specially on combat. If you take off with assistence you are getting bad habits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Warbirds need a lot of rudder in almost every part of the envelope

Especially since you can just leave the rudder untouched completely without gaining any disadvantage below 100mph where it is totally useless in DCS. Use the forc... erm, the brakes, Luke! And this utter fact brings us to...

The answer to this thread: Anything WWII and probably the CEII - I literally had no problems first time, but that was the only time I managed to TO that thing without issues, and I turned all assists off beforehoof. Maybe Gazelle, but it doesn't have a FM yet so that just doesn't count.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• ED Team
+++

1) BF109

2) FW190

Very hard to takeoff without assistance.

If the assistant could, so can you. :)

For 109: as the first step to mastering your skill use manual prop 12-00. Set 2600 rpm using throttle and here you go. Do not shy to tap right brake if you feel you need more rudder.

For 190: start rolling at moderate MP until you gain 90-100 kph then add power to full.

Or hold the plane at the place until full rpm are here. Then start rolling.

Later, as you understand 109, you will be able to control 109 with auto prop.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Definitely the I-16. The same squirrely behaviour of the Spit due to their free-castoring tail wheels, only the Donkey doesn't even get the ever so slight directional stability of a long(ish) body. It's really a case of just punching it and getting off the ground ASAP before the rocket pendulum effect decides to glance your way and figure out that it's due for an appearance. :D

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

For 190: start rolling at moderate MP until you gain 90-100 kph then add power to full.

I've flown the Dora a lot lately and this method gives me consistently good results:

1) Stick fully back to lock the tailwheel

2) Stick to the right for approx. 10º to counter torque

3) Advance throttle slowly and smoothly to the max*, counter left swerve with opposite rudder

4) At 130km/h lift the tail by pushing the stick forward, keep the stick held 10º to the right

5) Just fly her off the RWY after reaching Vr

* Obviously depending on your TOW though. I'm a groundpounder carrying heavy payloads and thus tend to need maximum TO power.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The i16 is by far the most difficult to takeoff.

Aside from the biplane (which I'll never get) i find every other module (side from the i16) relatively easy.

I never used assists, I'm trying to get as close to real as DCS allows, obviously having rudder pedals (especial the toe brakes) is a massive boon with regards to controlling all aspects of the older tail draggers.

The i16 has some other weird properties as well, for example it is also the easiest ww2 aircraft to taxi at very slow speeds (arguably easier than the p51 because of how easy it is to do a sharp turning circle. Its also easy to push the stick up and get sharp turns in the Stang too, but i16 you don't even need to push the stick).

Taxi over 10-15 kts or whatever it is, the i16 becomes very unstable. The takeoff requires passing through these very unstable speeds and until you get decent rudder authority with the i16, like with the K4, I find myself having to use the right toe break to help maintain a straight line.

If people don't have the i16, the next most difficult to take off is probably the K4. The spitfire is only difficult for people who ignore trimming the rudder, and also don't use rudder pedals, if you trim the rudder (fully right as in the spit tutorial) it is very easy to take off, almost as easy as the p51. No toes required so a twisty stick will do.

The spit is the only warbird not to use organic (full) differential braking, it is akin to some Russian jets where the wheel brake pressure is directly proportional to rudder use, ie full left rudder plus standing on pedals will only slow the left wheel.

The German ww2 have no rudder trim which will make them more difficult for people who don't use pedals.

Someone recently flying with me in ww2 who only used racing pedals in combination with a twisty stick, and that certainly was a big help to him with the takeoff/landing phase.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

If the assistant could, so can you. :)

Some day, some day.... :)

For 109: as the first step to mastering your skill use manual prop 12-00. Set 2600 rpm using throttle and here you go. Do not shy to tap right brake if you feel you need more rudder.

Or hold the plane at the place until full rpm are here. Then start rolling.

Later, as you understand 109, you will be able to control 109 with auto prop.

Thx for advices

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

MacBook PRO 16' 2023 M3 Max (14cpu-30gpu), DDR5 36Gb, 1Tb + 2Tb 990PRO Ext