Thinking about jumping to DCS in VR with Rift S but dont know if my setup will hold

malarcky

I am thinking in getting the Rift S for use with DCS, I mainly fly the F-16 now but I have doubts about my setup, dont know if it will have the power needed. I am not sure if going now, or waiting a couple of years on the next upgrade of my system. This is my actual setup:

Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 Ghz

Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB GDDR6

DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 16GB 4x8GB CL15

I dont care about having a little less details on graphics in exchange of the immersion, I already had the Quest but returned, not really liked to play while moving (get a little dizzy).

Anyone with similar setup can give me his opinion? Any comment or information will help me a lot to decide, thanks guys.

Sorry for my english, its not my native language.

I am thinking in getting the Rift S for use with DCS, I mainly fly the F-16 now but I have doubts about my setup, dont know if it will have the power needed. I am not sure if going now, or waiting a couple of years on the next upgrade of my system. This is my actual setup:

Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 Ghz

Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB GDDR6

DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 16GB 4x8GB CL15

I dont care about having a little less details on graphics in exchange of the immersion, I already had the Quest but returned, not really liked to play while moving (get a little dizzy).

Anyone with similar setup can give me his opinion? Any comment or information will help me a lot to decide, thanks guys.

Sorry for my english, its not my native language.

First, if you had dizziness with roomscale VR on the quest, expect more of it in DCS. It takes a couple weeks to build VR tolerance. If you start to feel nausea, stop, come back after a little break, don't try to push through it, it will just make it worse, but you WILL build tolerence over time.

(When I first flew on the Oculus i got a little nauseated, but now dogfights and low level maneuvers are just fun!_

Too bad you still do not have the Quest as a Link Cable would have enabled you to use it with your PC to check it out.

I suspect you would really have to lower your settings quit a bit to get performance close to being acceptable to you. VR is very much dependent on brute CPU horsepower.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have a Ryzen 2700, GTX 1080, and 32 Gb of DDR4 3200 RAM. I use hp Reverb and get 35-45 fps or under when on the ground (depending on map - Nevada seems hard on fps) and 50-60+ when at altitude.

I did use Ryzen Master to disable SMT, and overclock to 3.9 Ghz with Vcore @1.39375V and Vsoc @1.15V. I have the standard Wraith Spire cooler, am my CPU temps remain under 70C, though sometime I remove the tempered glass side panel for better air circulation.

I think your CPU and RAM are OK but the 2060 may be borderline for VR? gpu.userBenchmark shows the 1080 with about an 11% fps advantage over the 2060:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4034vs3603

Maybe you could get the Rift S from a retailer that allows returns with no re-stocking fee, so you could just try it and see what kind of experience you have? Good news is new video cards coming out this year with should drive price down of existing cards. I'm following the prices of the 2080 Super closely.

For me VR so immersive that when I bring my aircraft to a halt after landing/taxiing, I find my torso sometimes actually leans forward to counter the expected deceleration when coming to a complete stop. Feels foolish after I realize I'm just sitting at my desk!

Edited by oboe

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first experience with VR was Euro Truck Sim 2 in 2014 with an OR DK2 and my system was an off the shelf PC World (UK Electronics store) POS. I7 860 @3ghz, Nvidia GT260, 8GB ram.

I got used to VR after a few hours although the Nausea at first was pretty pants. However i have never looked back. The immersion offered, particularly for simulation games cannot be matched, even the reduced visual fidelity of VR headsets is worth the trade off in my opinion.

My point is, get the Rift S, take A2597's advice and build tolerance slowly you will not be sorry. You can upgrade your system when you can to make DCS perform even better.

I have been doing VR since the original Oculus Developer Kits, I have the Rift CV1 and the Rift S and considering the hp reverb.

my system is an ASUS B150 Pro D3, i7-6700K quad core 4 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3 1866, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD SATA3, EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black

I currently have all DCS settings set to High, PD = 1.5 and I am getting 40 fps in VR, 60 fps on monitor only.

I have also run VR with the EVGA GTX 1080 and EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC2. The 1080 ti made a huge difference.

at minimum you want 30 fps in VR to make it acceptable.

I have worked Modeling, Simulation & Analysis for USAF over the past 40 years, the early VR helmets we had in the late 1990's to 2000's were very crude in comparison to what we have at the consumer level today, and those helmets cost upwards of $10K each.

From my testing, you need at least an i7, 16GB or greater RAM, SSD or M.2 drive and most importantly a GTX 2080 ti or greater. so build your system as you can afford to do so, starting with a flexible MB.

From my testing, you need at least an i7, 16GB or greater RAM, SSD or M.2 drive and most importantly a GTX 2080 ti or greater. so build your system as you can afford to do so, starting with a flexible MB.

Need a 2080ti or above is a bit excessive. I originally ran DCS World with an EVGA 980 with 4gb vram. I'm now using a Strix 1080 paired with a 4790k using the high settings preset. It runs flawlessly.

A, 2080ti would be a luxury but by no means a minimum.

I have already tried and I like it very much, in singleplayer I have good performance, I have to try on multiplayer yet, the only problem I have encountered its that I have problems reading the labels on the cockpit, and identifying the planes, do you use zoom, or there are any sharpen for the text? I am using pixel density of 1.0 (default)

While obviously not the fastest/optimal, IMO your system Malarcky with the 2060 will be adaqute with the Rift S, to give your a decent experience with as you said, some details turned down. The Rift S is actually impressive in this area IMO, with mid range systems, it performed better than I thought it would when I tried mine on a laptop with a 1080, which should be reasonably close to your desktop 2060 (you might be even better/faster with a desktop 2060 in fact).

Purchase your Rift S from Amazon or the Microsoft store depending on your country, and you can always return it if you don't like it, easily too. I'll bet you keep it.

edit - so far as reading gauges/details, you can strike a balance between performance and readability, or, as many do, use the 2 zoom functions to zoom in on gauges/screens to read them quickly. This is the one area the Reverb/Index have an advantage over the Rift S (I have all 3) - clarity of gauges/etc, and overall detail obviously too. That said the Rift S is still very usable, you just need to adapt a little bit with it.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I agree with Gman that your 2060 should be able to run the Rift S . I'm doing so with a 1070 , and the 2060 should out-perform it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

While obviously not the fastest/optimal, IMO your system Malarcky with the 2060 will be adaqute with the Rift S, to give your a decent experience with as you said, some details turned down. The Rift S is actually impressive in this area IMO, with mid range systems, it performed better than I thought it would when I tried mine on a laptop with a 1080, which should be reasonably close to your desktop 2060 (you might be even better/faster with a desktop 2060 in fact).

Purchase your Rift S from Amazon or the Microsoft store depending on your country, and you can always return it if you don't like it, easily too. I'll bet you keep it.

edit - so far as reading gauges/details, you can strike a balance between performance and readability, or, as many do, use the 2 zoom functions to zoom in on gauges/screens to read them quickly. This is the one area the Reverb/Index have an advantage over the Rift S (I have all 3) - clarity of gauges/etc, and overall detail obviously too. That said the Rift S is still very usable, you just need to adapt a little bit with it.

Thanks, I am going to try the zoom and adjust the quality a bit, so far so good!