A/G Radar practically useless

kalas1988

Hello guys,

after a few months , I took viggen to the skies yesterday.

1st thing I noted on takeoff, is the Ram air turbine being deployes, is this something new?

2nd.... A/G radar seems useless, it used to work pretty well, showing up tanks and ground targets, now everything is blurry.

Is someone facing the same issue?

Best regards,

Jan

Asrock Z270 pro4, i7 6700, gtx 1070

Hello guys,

1st thing I noted on takeoff, is the Ram air turbine being deployes, is this something new?

2nd.... A/G radar seems useless, it used to work pretty well, showing up tanks and ground targets, now everything is blurry.

Best regards,

Jan

For the RAT yes it's new :)

For the radar, I use the 15KM range to see something !!

Yes, this is new.

The Viggen A/G radar is a navigation radar and not supposed to detect tanks. It's primary purpose is radar navigation (especially in IFR conditions) and naval reconaissance, although under some conditions (flat and empty terrain) you might be able to see tanks on the radar.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We should get the ground clutter to maps, that would render you incapable to detect larger objects than bridges or larger buildings/towns.

The Viggen radar is not suppose to be detecting anything else than where are land, lakes, islands and ships.

It is meant for terrain like this:

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.3606058,18.5783045,10.61z

In that area you will have tens of thousands of men for fighting every single small island, moving using small fast boats etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hello guys,

Best regards,

Jan

You can detect ground vehicles. They show up as small dots. Even a single vehicle will show at 15km.

The Viggen's radar will not show buildings. They don't appear to have a radar cross section enabled. Normally, large buildings would serve as excellent landmarks for navigation but are invisible to the Viggen. Many of the bridges suffer the same issue and simply do not appear despite being quite large. I suspect this is a DCS issue as opposed to a Viggen one. I hope it's correctec when ED finishes their API.

Bottom line, it depends on what you are targeting to determine whether or not it will show up on the radar

Hello guys,

Best regards,

Jan

Learn to setup the radar and it works like a charm!

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Learn to setup the radar and it works like a charm!

Could you elaborate? As far as I know no matter what you do in terms of setup, you will never be able to detect static objects, only vehicles. The OP was not specific as to the exact type of ground target they are searching for.

I find unless I'm looking for vehicles or ships, the radar lacks the precision to do anything but updates with about 100's of meters of error, which with TERNAV is usually counter-productive.

The Viggen's radar will not show buildings. They don't appear to have a radar cross section enabled. Normally, large buildings would serve as excellent landmarks for navigation but are invisible to the Viggen. Many of the bridges suffer the same issue and simply do not appear despite being quite large. I suspect this is a DCS issue as opposed to a Viggen one. I hope it's correctec when ED finishes their API.

Oh they do now, in AG Radar ver 2.0. Buildings, bridges, everything is now shown in the radar, if range is short enough and AG radar is properly configured. Please check

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225862

Here is how to win with the a2g radar vs any ground target: Set radar mode to LOG, use a joystick/throttle axis (like a knob) to tune the radar gain until terrain features are just barely visible. This will cause anything with a strong return like a vehicle to stand out.

This is also useful in using the radar to detect aircraft, as they also will show up like a ground vehicle if the beam sweeps over them. If you set the radar elevation to look straight ahead instead of slightly downwards as is its zero setting, it becomes workable for air intercepts providing you have a rough altitude.

Here is how to win with the a2g radar vs any ground target: Set radar mode to LOG, use a joystick/throttle axis (like a knob) to tune the radar gain until terrain features are just barely visible. This will cause anything with a strong return like a vehicle to stand out.

This is also useful in using the radar to detect aircraft, as they also will show up like a ground vehicle if the beam sweeps over them. If you set the radar elevation to look straight ahead instead of slightly downwards as is its zero setting, it becomes workable for air intercepts providing you have a rough altitude.

Right, ground vehicles do show up rather easily. However structures do not show up at all. I've attached two pictures here. In the first, the WP has a very large metal hangar in the middle of it. The return does NOT show on the radar at all.

In the second picture, I added a small CP vehicle in the hangar's place. You can clearly make out the return of this vehicle, even while not in LOG mode.

Pic 1

Screen_200215_025052.thumb.png.bdf0a2fd1e2de2e7fe7b043a39467d1b.png

Pic 2

Screen_200215_025936.thumb.png.a58df959068baaae7b81c0eec0f5f7c7.png

• 2 weeks later...