DCS: Black Shark Terrain

BullsEye

Sorry i'm quite confused...i was searching for black shark's news in the old lockon forum and i realize now that black shark is became a completely new and indipendent software/project.

I have some concerns and i want to share with the community:

1- if i understood well now BS has ONLY the KA-50 flyable model. So we are moving from a initial project with many airplanes and one helicopter to a new project with one helicopter. Ok this could be fine although i prefer the first approach.

2- Terrain: ok...the terrain of lock on was quite fine due to the fact that you are flying with airplanes. When Black Shark was annunced some concern relevant to the quality of the terrain (texture, details,variety) have been raised but beacuse of the exciting perspective to fly airplanes and helicopter the matter has less importance.

So what happen in the next future? does the terrain used in BS will be changed?

sorry for my english....

bye

1 - Correct, but fixed wing aircraft of the same fidelity as the Ka-50 will be added later.

2 - The terrain in DCS is said to have double the detail of the lomac terrain, weather that means polygons or texture or both remains to be seen.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

about the terrain...

I understand there will be some terrian changes initially, mainly changes to the hills and mountains. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in on this. Also in the future of DCS there will be a new graphics engine, updatable in BS. So maybe the terrain will get some inprovements then.

Sorry for my English too, but I live in the USA so don't hold it against me! :D

(I'm bilingual, but only in English!)

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

I believe the upgraded terrain may only be in Georgia.

There will be updates to the graphics engine and trees in the future add-ons.

due to the experiences of the last months and especially the last days I will believe this when I have it on my harddisk ...

I got to say though..the terrain looks unappealing. :( If anything... add grandsurf's mods and additional detail in objects. the thing is polygonal mesh is hardly noticable. Rather have nice little details like more life-like atmosphere in airbases.... refueling rigs... animated ppl.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

That shot is taken fairly close to the ground and you can't see much to give a better impression.

I think when it has been suggested that the terrain is being worked on, it's not so much the textures that are being improved, but the actual modelling of the terrain. ie, making it smoother and more 'land like'

Let's be Honest - while trying to keep the Bird in the Air with a certain amount of Professionalism and Dignity (ie Not wanting to draw Cheers Of "N00B" on Hyperlobby), who is gonna have a lotta time with their heads out of the Cockpit admiring the Scenery?

:D

Do not get me wrong - Scenery is why I indulge my pleasures with LockOn as opposed to Falcon: 'Lest not forget priorities here - I'm willing to wait for "Enhanced" Scenery if said scenery is even needed at all, for which I will reserve judgement once DCS: Black Shark has been released - not before:)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Well I think its good enough for now, in past forums there was mention of using higher polygon counts in the terrain for the choppers, they even experimented with speed trees. Speed trees may still be in a later module but a lot of bugs need to be fixed first. Animated people were shown but not promised in the first release.

Before logging in I read the article about DCS being shown at a conference in LA it appears that the A-10 and Apache are much further along than thought.

Most of my time and most of our time will be consumed trying to fly these new air units. I like the A-10 and am pretty sure I will look like a noob when the new flight model comes out, happens every time a new sim comes out. This and figuring out the new campaign manager.

As for new maps Its my understanding that the hardest part is placing buildings and roads, the expansion into Georgia took a lot of time to create. Perhaps someone from ED can tell us how long it takes to create a city in the current map. Say Istanbul in Turkey, Howe long to create roads textures and to place all the buildings. Its my understanding that it is all done manually. I would be willing to create terrains and place buildings/ roads but there are no development tools for that.

The point I am trying to make is I would rather have DCS released sooner than later and have many modules to pick from such as terrain and scenery later. Sounds like the wait would be pretty short anyway. The first release is not going to have everything but it is better that what we have now.

Remember if you want the ultimate realism go out side and get your pilots license or join the air force. Most of us would not be able to handle the G-forces anyway.:megalol:

I leave this after noon for Las Vegas from Omaha I will try to get pics of real terrain from altitude and compare it to whats in LOMAC.

• ED Team

I wrote up a section for the DCS site regarding the new terrain that I hope the team will post soon. In a nut shell:

1- Much of the terrain has 50 - 100% increase in the polygon count that is used to create the height field (terrain mesh). This results in a much more natural looking environment. Some of the folks that attended to the show can attest to this.

2- Texture resolutions have been increased, particularly in the mountain areas.

3- The density and number of ground objects (trees, buildings, power lines, etc.) has been dramatically increased.

4- Ground object detail has been increased.

5- We'll probably get animated rivers.

6- Color palettes have been changed for greater contrast.

7- New ground objects at airfields.

8- New map area that includes much of Georgia.

At the same time, we've brought some talented modders on the test team such that they have access to builds. This will allow them to release their own mods shortly after DCS:BS release.

At the same time, we've brought some talented modders on the test team such that they have access to builds. This will allow them to release their own mods shortly after DCS:BS release.

Grandsurf receive this job? Will be great ;)

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!

Until the trees get in there and block the enemy LOS, I think I'm going to be dying quite a bit. Choppers really need trees. Single biggest oversight of the Longbow series. And heck, DI's Apache and Hind had them, albeit in a very simple way. Still, they blocked fire effectively.

I wrote up a section for the DCS site regarding the new terrain that I hope the team will post soon. In a nut shell:

1- Much of the terrain has 50 - 100% increase in the polygon count that is used to create the height field (terrain mesh). This results in a much more natural looking environment. Some of the folks that attended to the show can attest to this.

2- Texture resolutions have been increased, particularly in the mountain areas.

3- The density and number of ground objects (trees, buildings, power lines, etc.) has been dramatically increased.

4- Ground object detail has been increased.

5- We'll probably get animated rivers.

6- Color palettes have been changed for greater contrast.

7- New ground objects at airfields.

8- New map area that includes much of Georgia.

I all sounds really good :)

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

see? I told you

Someone more kmowledgable than I chimed it. Thanks, Wags for the refresher.;) Maybe a few random screenies of the terrain is possible? How close to rl will the color of the terrain be? And will that change with cloud cover, and the time of day? I won't die if it doesn't. Just curious.

Hey Chrono, don't forget that in Gunship! you could hide amongst trees, effectively blocking the los. Gunship! even had manpads, iirc. So while trees may not block radar detection, I'm hoping manpads will find it difficult to lock on me while I'm hovering amongst the mighty oaks.

Oh btw, if animated soldiers are included, won't that be a frame rate hit? I'm thinking BS will, like LOMAC, be cpu intensive as it is. So having little vsolider victims running about might cause some stuttering?

Flyby

hey EagleEye...

I've been assured by one of those in the know that we'll be shot up enough, no matter what we do, and that hiding amongst trees in a radar environment wouldn't gain us a thing, because of the rotors being nice radar reflectors. My guess is what trees there will be won't be worth hiding behind because they won't be of adequate density to prevent LOS targeting. That is unless there are forests with nice little clearings in them, but I haven't heard or seen any evidence of that yet.

So, best to stay at maximum range and take out what anti-air assests that remain after the SEAD boys are done. Manpads, if modelled will be a different worry. Be nice if we could deploy snipers or other special forces to root out manpads, then call us in to do our dirty work. Maybe they could even designate targets for us? hmmmm... not bad thinking...:pilotfly:

Flyby

please explain

That's wishful thinking I'd say :)

Use a good flight plan, use your countermeasures right and MANPADS Pk will be significantly lowered.

How can the BS countermeasures nullify, or otherwise reduce manpads pk? I have no clue as to how to go about this. Can a flight plan minimize manpads encounters?

Flyby