The New cockpit

NineLine

The cockpit is georgeous, all the dials are in 3D, all the detail in the gauges is scribed in and can clearly be seen when the light reflects at an angle.

IMHO some of the needles hands are too flat, meaning too close to the back of the instrument. They just doesn't seem to have any "thickness" in them and then there seems to be lack of shadows to those hands so that you could get the depth visible in them.

They do all look far better than previously, but just some are "2D" in VR.

It is little same thing as with the cover glass in them, if there would be depth and some slight dirt like dust etc on it, you could see the cauges depth when moving head.

I don't question if ED has the exact specs of the each gauge, but just some looks to be "flat".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah nah, looks like ED once again skipped on us heli boyz. Not only did they release the a10c cockpit months earlier than the ka50 but they skimped on texture quality on the ka50! Thanks u guys! dang it so annoying. Now whats real funny is! Back in 2019 on the ruskiy forums Chizh said that they will updatd the cockpit for free (which is this one) AND that they will bring black shark 3 which will have upgraded systems AND better graphics!. Then someone asked him what he meant by that and Chizh said better graphics as in higher resolution and quality textures! XD are u freaking kidding me. Screw u guys for neglecting on the helicopters. But ill say that im actually happy with the new pit. But its still kinda bad when u zoom in and also it annoys me what they did. If i dont say atleast something positive then a forum member will start crying and assuming so here u go casual.

Personally, it looks like they did the "least possible". Hopefully, the old bugs ( that have been around FOREVER) are fixed, at least. But yeah, it's annoying. Looks like they're saving whatever they have for BS3. My guess is they did it all toony to please the VR crowd.

I'm considering whether to keep using the old cockpit or not.

Edited by 3WA

In vr in any other aircraft I get a solid 45 fps (locked) but with the ka50 new update it is down to 40?

Mine went from 45 to 30 :/

I'm also having problems with the weapon mount LED lights that are amber and showing lit in some head positions and not others. Other than these issues the new cockpit is amazing.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I tested the new Cockpit in VR yesterday and I can only say that I liked it. I only noticed that the functionality for dimming the cockpit illumination is still bugged. On the other hand there‘s a lot of detail in the rear part where previously there were only flat textures.

Good job ED!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Can you guys check the amber LEDs on the weapon mounts and see if the lights turn on and off as you move your head side to side? Even in non-VR I see the issue.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Very similar.... here's my settings but had to reduce the GAMMA considerably to make the button light effective... But at the end of a day whatever, it is better than the old for sure and love the audio!

[/img]

Could you try changing your shadow settings from "flat only" to at least medium? Would be interesting if that setting is "your issue" :beer:

Hi Gizzy, i don't know if you tried it already but your "light problem" is linked to your shadows setting "flat only", if you switch this setting to low or higher the button light is working fine, as soon as i set this to flat only i have the same problem as you have. Not sure if this should be posted in the bugs section or if this is WIP :dunno:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Hi Gizzy, i don't know if you tried it already but your "light problem" is linked to your shadows setting "flat only", if you switch this setting to low or higher the button light is working fine, as soon as i set this to flat only i have the same problem as you have. Not sure if this should be posted in the bugs section or if this is WIP :dunno:

Well identified and thanks for coming back mate, really appreciated... I would put a kind simple note in the BUGS section just in case... :thumbup:

SIGBLOCK.png

The old cockpit never gave quite the sense of just how "cramped" this is to sit in. In the new cockpit a lot of the equipment/controls/instruments are rendered much larger, and sticking out into the seating space.

The fuel measurement test is in the same physical location on the forward panel, but buried behind the wall panel, which sticks out much closer to the pilot.

The HUD sticks out and blocks easy access to the warning lights on the panel too.

The large hoses, wiring bundles, shades, zip ties.. and just "stuff" everywhere.

I can't even say "you strap this on." As you really don't. I feel like I just have to shove myself into this tiny little compartment. Even with the large windows it still feels incredibly claustrophobic. What a strange sensation.

Nicely done guys.

Please post some screenshots of what your seeing. My graphics are maxed out to the point of near stuttering, and I still don't see it. I don't see depth in the dials, etc. (I know they are a little shallow). It all looks very simple and toonish.

Disregard the alliasing..I force it trough nvidia and DCS doesn't recognize it while taking screenshots.

Screen_200221_190315.thumb.png.70dd325c7c7fe527ac65e7db0f5b4d9a.png

Screen_200221_190220.thumb.png.14b7cb16e67ecbad653ea4e5f8e8b7ce.png

Screen_200221_181709.thumb.png.00604d6c72a6ca95ff9b729da46cc531.png

i have only flown the ka-50 in VR and putting on the new cockpit for the first time was rather strange.

all the proportions have changed slightly.

going to take some getting used too.

but on the whole i like it a lot.

i am definetly going to spend more time in the beast so thanks ED.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

More people need to post screenshots regarding this and the lighting. It's very weird that some people are saying "wow, completely different, totally improved and amazing" while others are the COMPLETE OPPOSITE saying things like "looks horrible, I don't see a difference, disappointed" etc.

It's so strange how completely opposite the opinions are that I wonder if the buggy 2.5.6 isn't updating correctly across the board? I dunno, it's weird.

More picy

Edit: I think the new rotor sounds from within the cockpit are the best part. Sounds amazing.

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

It's so strange how completely opposite the opinions are that I wonder if the buggy 2.5.6 isn't updating correctly across the board? I dunno, it's weird.

Personally I am not overly impressed with the new cockpit, but your post made me think perhaps it's because I only ever used to Ricardo's HD cockpit mod and have forgotten what the vanilla cockpit looks like. I feel the same way about the new A-10 cockpit and there I also only ever flew it with the RICARDO's Horse of War HD Worn Cockpit.

So perhaps compared to the vanilla it looks great but against the mods it's just meh.

Things look different, in different lighting conditions & with different maps & different settings etc. People aren't always specifying when & where they are flying. In the Caucuses map freeflight mission: I did notice that with regard to the button lighting that across the board, the AP lights are now a lot clearer.

The Turn to Target & other buttons on that panel are extremely hard to see unless in complete shadow with English cockpit selected.

They seem a tiny bit clearer in the Russian cockpit & no easier to see when not in shadow on other maps. Harder in fact, because glare is an issue. Try Normandy Free Flight mission.

Shadow settings flat or otherwise make no difference to me at least.

Either way, I didn't pay for it, nothing seems worse than before, and there are improvements.

Zooming in to an instrument panel so close that individual polygons & pixels show up is not something I can complain about - so I won't. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I'd rather have 2d needles in my instruments than something that is a beautiful slideshow.

It certainly looks more realistic than it did imo.

Can you guys check the amber LEDs on the weapon mounts and see if the lights turn on and off as you move your head side to side? Even in non-VR I see the issue.

If you check the forums ive already reported it as an issue :thumbup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Why is there such a HUGE difference in the cockpits?

New Cockpit

aYdKWY.png

Old Cockpit

aFH1rK.png

Dials in old Cockpit look real. Dials in new cockpit look like a painted on after-thought.

Both of these are at the same graphics settings, with medium textures and low shadows, both at 1600 daytime.

ED, please give instructions on how to get the old cockpit back.

Edited by 3WA

I think they did in fact shrink the HUD. I combined your 2 images, and tried to scale both so that the HUD elements overlap. Base image is the new cockpit, and the transparent "old cockpit" overlaps but with a smaller image size. Thus for the old cockpit to have the same HUD size as the new cockpit, the FOV has to increase compared to the new cockpit.

hQolifM.png

There's much more 3D detail and the new cockpit is better - if the lighting is right.

But at the same time textures are darker, some of the painted shading was removed, and ED also fixed the outer geometry, which means the cockpit is in the shadow most of the time. This means most of the time the detail is lost in the dark.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro