Wake turbulence for warbirds

JG13Wulf

8 hours ago, motoadve said:

New to DCS but 25 plus years in flight simulators.

I fly a real warbird, do simulated dogfights, some formation flying.

Wake turbulence in DCS is very realistic, it really impresses me, feels exactly as it feels in real life, definitely is not over modelled, I would say it is spot ON.

Well, one has to keep in mind it does have its own imperfections and drawbacks. The simulation doesn't seem to scale very well the closer to supersonic speeds you get, it also goes crazy when ping-related rubber banding happens on the server (hence reports of planes being flipped on the ground by others buzzing fast and low above the apron. Moreover it requires lots of CPU cycles - that's why Reflected forces it off in his campaign missions featuring big formations of B-17s to avoid even the strongest gaming rigs being driven into single-digit fps numbers.

When used within design parameters and conditions, however, it's impressive addition to the DCS experience.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

One of the problems with Wake Turbulence was on the Aerobatic Servers which caused it to be turned off was. The Jet Jocks thought it was fun to fly under the warbirds at Mach while they were landing to suck the air out from under the plane. This caused them to roll and crash. It turned into a regular game for them to play which resulted in it being turned off.