2.5.6 will not load with sound mods

Not really a bug report as such more of a heads up for users who are struggling with 2.5.6.

I've noticed that the sound set up in the game has totally changed in 2.5.6 and is causing issues with clients who have sound mods installed. (the folder structure for how sounds are used has been reworked and is now C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Sounds.edc)

Removing any sound mods installed will fix your issue.

:thumbup:

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Sound Mods no longer work

Just a heads up to everyone that the majority of sound mods after the 2.5.6 update will no longer work due to an update to the sound engine that ED did. I have no idea how the new sounds engine works or how the sounds are laid out. If anyone has any idea, please feel free to let me know.

;4209043']Not really a bug report as such more of a heads up for users who are struggling with 2.5.6.

I've noticed that the sound set up in the game has totally changed in 2.5.6 and is causing issues with clients who have sound mods installed. (the folder structure for how sounds are used has been reworked and is now C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Sounds.edc)

Removing any sound mods installed will fix your issue.

:thumbup:

Did not happened to me but thank you for the heads up!

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Try placing sound mods in saved games folder. But yeah, ED decided to protect all of their sound files so modding the install/Sounds folder is now out of the question.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Seems like moving them to Saved Games did the trick for me; at least any that went directly into the Sounds folder, everything else that goes into aircraft-specific folders works like before.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

DCS 2.5.6 fails to load with VoiceAttack and Vaicom pro running, I assume this is also related to the SOUND encryption issue. Only way to restart DCS is to REPAIR then allow repair to deletd files

Sounds\Speech\common.lua and Sounds\Speech\speech.lua

Try replacing the files in \DCS World\Scripts\Speech.

Looks to be where the lua files were moved to. Initially I thought they were also encrypted but I guess they were simply moved. I don't know what VoiceAttack and Vaicom modify with the files, but I am fairly certain those files were updated in the patch so the mods may need to be updated.

Sounds folder structure encrypted on 2.5.6?

Why? What was the purpose of doing this? It renders VAICOM/Voice Attach incompatible. It prevents any modifications to any music or sound effects.

What was the advantage or purpose behind this UNDOCUMENTED change?

I for one rolled back to 2.5.5 b/c I don't want to fly w/o VAICOMM. And there are many great sound and or music mods out there that your customer base enjoy using.

Please revert this back to the 2.5.5 structure.

Thank you.

Why? What was the purpose of doing this? It renders VAICOM/Voice Attach incompatible. It prevents any modifications to any music or sound effects.

What was the advantage or purpose behind this UNDOCUMENTED change?

I for one rolled back to 2.5.5 b/c I don't want to fly w/o VAICOMM. And there are many great sound and or music mods out there that your customer base enjoy using.

Please revert this back to the 2.5.5 structure.

Thank you.

+1 couldn't agree more:helpsmilie:

Put sound file mods in saved games with the same file structure.

For sound mods that modify the lua files check Scripts/Speech, it should be in the same format. Unknown if they are integrity checked.

For sound mods that modify the lua files check Scripts/Speech, it should be in the same format. Unknown if they are integrity checked.

Thanks for the tip.

I use OVGME, so based on what you say I won't have to anymore if I move my sound mods to the saved games folder. I seem to remember a long time ago trying to put sound files in there but they didn't load?

edit:just tried it and it works perfectly!...thanks again!!

Edited by fitness88

The problem with this is that so many aircraft still use the default Su-25 sounds, so if you want to apply a sound mod to multiple aircraft that share those files, you'll have to manually swap it out each time you fly that aircraft. As opposed to JSGME where you can just remove/install with two clicks.

Thanks for the tip.

I use OVGME, so based on what you say I won't have to anymore if I move my sound mods to the saved games folder. I seem to remember a long time ago trying to put sound files in there but they didn't load?

edit:just tried it and it works perfectly!...thanks again!!

Do you have file/path set up , cos I tried it with some external sound mod for the f18 and It didnt work.

Cheers

Jafa

[sIGPIC]picture.php?albumid=1526&pictureid=9861[/sIGPIC]

Seems like moving them to Saved Games did the trick for me; at least any that went directly into the Sounds folder, everything else that goes into aircraft-specific folders works like before.

Yes, soundmods like Hornet works since it's on Sounds folder but I can't get Tomcat soundmods to work since they are on their own folder on Coremods.

Tried it by setting up the proper folders in Saved Games but no luck.

Once again you save my DCS experience. I owe you brother.

Yes, soundmods like Hornet works since it's on Sounds folder but I can't get Tomcat soundmods to work since they are on their own folder on Coremods.

Tried it by setting up the proper folders in Saved Games but no luck.

Any sound mod that placed modified files in CoreMods or Mods should still work as before. Only mods that used the Sounds folder in the root DCS need to be moved to your root Save Games folder instead.

So far this is working. I've not yet tested to see if I can get VAICOM working again. I was thinking of copying the moved lua files to the old path, letting it append/modify those and then putting them back. No clue yet if that would work or not. I'll test it soon.

Has anyone tried uninstalling and reinstalling VoiceAttack? FYI: VaicomPro IS already in the saved games folder structure.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |