Lighting is incredible!

Dav IRL

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the airport lights dont illuminate the aircrafts that are on the ramp .. hope ED will fix them sometime soon.

However, I do like the increased city lights, maybe a bit exagerated, but much better than the older blackened towns:

ASrpsWP.jpg

I also like the starts:

3CWSTCZ.jpg

and the buildings (at least in Persian Gulf):

HOeHrsK.jpg

Thanks ED :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

How is it in VR?

I hear you have to turn off the fancy SSLW (whatever it is) to keep frames above 20. Does that only impact cockpit lighting?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team
Are they just the backed in textures or has the some lighting effects not being seen in the cockpit/on aircraft + nav lights view distance also been fixed?

edit found this so probably not:

[/img]

That isn't part of what is being worked on. The issue of terrain lights interacting with aircraft and such is another issue and has to be balanced with performance and eye candy.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Nice progress! Will there be any additional light-ray-effects? Currently you can see the point lights, but no small rays that are located around the points of the light sources. It is probably not easy to get that effect right, but I wonder if ED is working on it.

Can someone explain how to make pitch dark scenario. Whatever I do there is a gradient on the sky.

This is what I feared with this new lighting update: I never quite understood peoples' complaints about DCS at night. Night-time is, well, dark. Even with a full moon, it is still night-time. I thought, prior to today update, that night itself looked pretty close to perfect...it was only city lights that were too dark (or more precisely, not visible from realistic distances), the sky was just fine. I even thought this problem had been pretty well alleviated with some really solid updates. My concern after today's is that now that the city lights are brighter, the sky is going to be unrealistically bright. For what it's worth, full moon prior to today's update was already pushing a bit too much ambient light. Oh, well. I haven't played with it yet myself so we'll see how it looks. I just hope ED didn't give in reactively to all the complainers about 'night is too dark' and go overboard. I was finding that a gamma setting of about 2.5-2.8 was good for realistic high noon and nighttime lighting. I hope we don't now have to mess with the slider when we're playing at night vs. day. Oh, well... first world problems. ED does first class work anyways, so cyber air combat times are good.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

This is what I feared with this new lighting update: I never quite understood peoples' complaints about DCS at night. Night-time is, well, dark. Even with a full moon, it is still night-time. I thought, prior to today update, that night itself looked pretty close to perfect...it was only city lights that were too dark (or more precisely, not visible from realistic distances), the sky was just fine. I even thought this problem had been pretty well alleviated with some really solid updates. My concern after today's is that now that the city lights are brighter, the sky is going to be unrealistically bright. For what it's worth, full moon prior to today's update was already pushing a bit too much ambient light. Oh, well. I haven't played with it yet myself so we'll see how it looks. I just hope ED didn't give in reactively to all the complainers about 'night is too dark' and go overboard. I was finding that a gamma setting of about 2.5-2.8 was good for realistic high noon and nighttime lighting. I hope we don't now have to mess with the slider when we're playing at night vs. day. Oh, well... first world problems. ED does first class work anyways, so cyber air combat times are good.

IMHO : bull***

the nighti is perfect now!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Can someone explain how to make pitch dark scenario. Whatever I do there is a gradient on the sky.

The lunar cycle is appropriate for the selected date. If the moon is too bright (ie full moon), choose a different date where it's at quarter or half. If you want pitch black choose a date appropriate to a new moon. Consult a calendar or Google.

@Wilbur

The light from a city pretty well saturates the night sky in rl, thus the glow visible from a distance. My parents lift 20 miles west of Fort Worth, you can turn back toward the city at night and the glow covers a massive arc across the horizon. You can't see any except the brightest stars, and this despite being 20-30 miles away

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

IMHO : bull***

the nighti is perfect now!

With the new lighting engine you have to dial in your cockpit lighting (which actually makes sense!) and you have to dial in your night vision (which makes sesne too). Before you would just increase brightness and it wouldn't make much of a difference where now you can be too bright or too dark which is immersive for one and add another layer of detail. The lights at night were so dull previously that there was no point flying at night where for the first time in what seems like years I am having allot fun playing at night time.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

With the new lighting engine you have to dial in your cockpit lighting (which actually makes sense!) and you have to dial in your night vision (which makes sesne too). Before you would just increase brightness and it wouldn't make much of a difference where now you can be too bright or too dark which is immersive for one and add another layer of detail. The lights at night were so dull previously that there was no point flying at night where for the first time in what seems like years I am having allot fun playing at night time.

Yes I agree, noticed this as well, a nice feel of realism.

• ED Team
No, gamma is already at 1.

The problem is with moon. It just illuminates objects too much and make color gradient from horizon to zenith.

click for full res.

Screen-200215-000016.png

It obviously needs a little bit of tweaking, but it looks promising.

Your Gamma is a 1? Wow, is your monitor calibrated? I run around 2.1 - 2.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I know that. I purposefully tested both with new and full moon

Ok =) That's an oft overlooked item. I haven't got to try it yet, twas downloading when I left home. My gamma is 1.8 if anybody cares

Your Gamma is a 1? Wow, is your monitor calibrated? I run around 2.1 - 2.

He may mean the Gamma setting in the desktop settings section. Mine's at 1 there as well. I did have to lower mine down to 2, which I think is default, in game now so it's not too light.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Flying at night....a joy.

Nice work!

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

In VR (Rift) it looked good in strong moonlight (local time 2330) except I could see a feint circular glow around the nose of the Hornet (about the size of NVD goggles fov) and around the VR mouse pointer. It was barely visible in the video clip I made unless gamma was set higher.

The carrier deck looked quite visible without any flood lights. The stars looked overwhelming in VR on a clear night.

The last 3/4 mile of case 3:

Probably around 80% of my rl time is night and 1/2 of that is nvg. It is a hard thing to do and a one size fits all is impossible. I will do some night flying later but so far the sun bleached out the 190's pit and I had to lower the gamma a tad and it looks great. So far with the exception of a slower initial load and a little chugging over dense areas all is well.Looking forward to doing some LL night hunting in the Harrier. This is using vr.

Edited by JIMJAM

I saw the video of the friend landing on the aircraft carrier, I personally also landed at night and found the deck very dark without lights and I thought it is not possible that it really is so, there must be minimal lighting for the crew to work or everyone there has their NvG? I looked in the MR. Google and I was surprised!

Edited by Chacina
link

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

@chachina

Youtube videos are a terrible reference for what things look like at night due to the nature of how a camera works. In person your eyes adjust, not to mention your eyes are not a digital camera. End result if you were standing on the deck you'd probably be able to see a lot better just from ambient light. Not to mention you'd have a drop light if you were working on a plane, etc etc People aren't just milling about the deck in the dark during carrier ops

Hey, fellas...

started a thread over here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4209793#post4209793 if you are finding that the new lighting is too much. I'm sure it looks great at night, but I couldn't even get there after I saw it during the day. Nineline, it looks as if they just ramped up the gamma settings by like 500 percent. I'm sure it was more sophisticated than that, but that's all I can see from my limited viewpoint. It's as if the highest gamma setting from before is now a 1. A '1' now dampens lighted objects but renders everything else shadowy and oddly colored compared to before.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I just flew the Harrier at 2200 Batumi and well..... The stars are very big and very bright. Not sure why devs think we need cockpit glass reflections but the during the day it is annoying but the night is horrible. Looks like the CC cleaned it with a oily rag. VFR to the nearest airport and I couldn't even find it. All of the ground lights are neon and overly white. Needs more yellow. Not even going to pile on about the clouds.Reading the bug section these are the least of our worries but at least they are working on them. I was VR.