Lighting is incredible!

Dav IRL

Using Oculus I find the lighting is amazing. Just finished an hour over PG 17:30/winter/partly cloudy, the lighting on the buildings, road, especially air fields are great improvement.

I'm wondering if those who hate it are using monitors, there is a big difference? Using VR I find really works well with the new lighting.

[gamma 1.3 day and night]

Edited by fitness88

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying no-moon, pitch-dark mission in winter. That was pitch-dark in 2.5 with no horizon. My monitor is calibrated.

Problem is, I have to go under 1.7 in game gamma to get pitch-dark night. But 1.7 gamma is way too dark for day flying. 2.3 is the lowest I can go during day.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263459

ED has to tweak the gamma & lightning, so we won't have too dark cockpits during day.

That's a high gamma mate. Something isn't right if you find the pit too dark during the day at 1.7. Most guys I know use 1.2-1.4.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

ps - I hope some people who have the time to spare might post some good 2.5.5 vs 2.5.6 lighting-comparison screenshots: Especially in various cockpits at dawn and dusk.

Definitly a difference in gamma setting: First and last screenshot have the same gamma settings

2.5.5: F/A-18C Dawn Raiders: gamma 1.4

eaa4Pd3.png

2.5.6: F/A-18C Dawn Raiders: gamma 1.0

EX65jpN.png

2.5.6: F/A-18C Dawn Raiders: gamma 1.2

z82GvMq.png

2.5.6: F/A-18C Dawn Raiders: gamma 1.4

FRBQkUX.png

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I don't know where you live, but a full moon is bright enough to drive a car without headlights.

And did you ever try a full-moon night on 2.5.5 with a gamma setting (which looked great during the day too) of 2.7? You could dive a car without headlights in DCS at night.... and the colors and everything looked great. This is how a full moon night looked in 2.5.5:

[ATTACH]227694[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]227695[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]227696[/ATTACH]

Did you ever bother to play with gamma settings? Again, these screens were taken with a gamma setting b/w 2.5 and 2.7, and they could be kept for every time of day... and the taxiway lights didn't look like blue birthday balloons. :) This update was a just a big lighting step back for me....

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I tried to AAR by night with gammas set to 1.7:

Night looks more like night, but:

- Cockpit is still too dark. Here is an old video (June 2018 from previous version of open beta for comparison, before ED implemented the new lighting system:

- Light sources (for example the refuelling probe or landing gear light) seem too weak, they don't really light very far (compare with previous video, wehere you can see the KC-130 slightly illuminated as I approach for contact)

- In my opinion, FLIR "lighting" has to be tweaked, in the harrier the sky appears like a big greenish block in 2.5.6, although it was perfect before, as you can see in my 2018 video, but maybe it is like that IRL, I honnestly don't know.

Here is what FLIR looks like in 2.5.6:

attachment.php?attachmentid=227746&stc=1&d=1581876230

Screen_200216_185459.thumb.png.3e40a43261117dad4fc5d9ce69ce39f0.png

Edited by flo57100

The new night lighting effects on the P-51 are really bad.

The landing gear light at night in the cockpit is so bright it is almost blinding.

The navigation lights which have always shown through the wing panels (which they should not) now light up the side of the plane so much it now looks like a UFO.

Navigation lights were not fixed for distance they still pop on at 1k visual same as landing gear position at distance. (This has always been a problem and reported for years)

Also if part of the new damage model was with the 2.5.6 update it has some problems.

IE: tested taking hits to right wing. Report from the person shooting you are streaming white vapor from the wing. The look on my plane shows hits in the area of the fuel tank but I had no visual that it is leaking. Even in F2 everything looked fine. He did report the vapor slowed down I assume that would be the tanks sealing.

Also major sound issue with the engine as has been reported.

I have since backed out of 2.5.6

I like it. Great start to the improvement of the lighting system.

In fact, I like it alot more then the previous versions already. Finally it's a joy to fly at sunset straight into the night! And it runs more smooth on my system than 2.5.5. Imagine that.

Thanks ED. :)

Edited by dawgie79

Do you really want to tell us that for example city lights were better before the patch? That they looked great?

I would say they looked pretty good, but never as bright as real life when viewing from any real distance. In the PG, looking down over the city you could see the headlights, tail-lights, and beams of all the cars, ect. Downtown sky scrapers in Dubai looked wonderful. I'll post some of my nighttime 2.5.5 screens here if I can find the time just to let us revisit them.

Again, night lighting looks way better now in terms of sheer brightness...but the overall world lighting effect it has had on dawn, dusk, and (probably most important) cockpits is the stuff the developers are going to have to work their wizardry on. :) They'll figure it out. They always do...

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

New cockpit lighting 2.5.6??

Hi All,

Obviously updated to 2.5.6 and the night lighting and city lighting effects are fantastic. Well done ED

I have also noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the cockpit lighting, not just the flood lighting but also switches, gauges and bulbs.

I couldn’t see specific interior lighting/gauge lightning listed in the change log - was this something the 2.5.6 update improved on?

My DCS and PC settings have not changed.l since 2.5.5 v 2.5.6.

Anyways just wondering if someone could shed some ‘light’. Was this an intended feature of the update.

Cheers all!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• ED Team

Thanks we appreciate the kind words.

More tweaks to come with lighting in the future.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yea, new lightening effects are just awesome. I want to ask what is the normal gamma, I set it to 2.2, is that ok?

Jump in your jet in weather that most matches your part of the world and adjust the gamma up and down until the SHADOWS in the cockpit look real to you.

That will be the best gamma setting for you. I've had to lower mine since the lighting update. Any setting is OK as long as it looks real to you.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks we appreciate the kind words.

More tweaks to come with lighting in the future.

Can you pass on a suggestion to the developers? Type! A brightness and gamma calibrator. This would help many people as each has a different configuration on the monitor. It would help to adjust how it was developed to be.

Example of some game.

86710513_594033264770472_6909262929288232960_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQneWy7AxCtVHbuGeukmX6CJHIVbbNRhZ7BIxTibyca5k1iYWmD3c4UH0lbnVlzP0XNUIjpwlTnGdMeU2EtmbocC&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=7621f3670f492f5c2a82f27bb5314c6c&oe=5EC09AF7

This helps a little, one more made by ED would be better. https://calibracionhd.com

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Can you pass on a suggestion to the developers? Type! A brightness and gamma calibrator. This would help many people as each has a different configuration on the monitor. It would help to adjust how it was developed to be.

Example of some game.

86710513_594033264770472_6909262929288232960_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQneWy7AxCtVHbuGeukmX6CJHIVbbNRhZ7BIxTibyca5k1iYWmD3c4UH0lbnVlzP0XNUIjpwlTnGdMeU2EtmbocC&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=7621f3670f492f5c2a82f27bb5314c6c&oe=5EC09AF7

This helps a little, one more made by ED would be better. https://calibracionhd.com

I can see some "rings" on this picture similar to those rings in the blue sky in DCS. For me they disappear when I increase my gamma, although I need pretty high gamma values for that. So I think the sweet spot is where those rings are barely visible, while the gamma value is not too high to prevent making the scenerey look washed out.

Overall the new lightning looks really good!

The stars though, just looks like painted dots on a roof (at least on my PC). Now it really feels like I'm flying indoor :)

But overall really happy with the patch. Everything just looks much nicer and no FPS drop for me (Rift S).

I see. Have you tried to decrease the overall gamma of your PC or of your monitor? If you do not want to change those settings, you could also try to use reshade, which gives you a lot more graphics options for DCS without having to change the general settings of your PC.

The lighting of cities at low altitude was very beautiful. Now at high altitude they have become quite outspoken. If possible to improve this would be very good because it hinders even for landing over long distances. You can't see the airport. Thank you ED!

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Jump in your jet in weather that most matches your part of the world and adjust the gamma up and down until the SHADOWS in the cockpit look real to you.

That will be the best gamma setting for you. I've had to lower mine since the lighting update. Any setting is OK as long as it looks real to you.

Is higher gamma will drop my FPS?

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..