Lighting is incredible!

Dav IRL

Gamma won't affect the frame rates. Think of it as a brightness adjustment.

And yes the night lighting is definately better, not so much difference in the day. However VR performance has taken a serious hit. Hopefully ED can fix that soon.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall the new lightning looks really good!

The stars though, just looks like painted dots on a roof (at least on my PC). Now it really feels like I'm flying indoor :)

But overall really happy with the patch. Everything just looks much nicer and no FPS drop for me (Rift S).

Same here, slight gamma adjustment made it better.

Can you imagine flying in rl over calm water with sky like this reflected below.:huh:

Have you tried sunrise/sunset lighting? Have you tried mid-day? How does your cockpit (and which plane?) look at night and during the day? What gamma were you using in 2.5.5 and what are you using now? (and how do your gamma settings look during the day and night now?) And what map are you testing on?

Thanks.

ps - I hope some people who have the time to spare might post some good 2.5.5 vs 2.5.6 lighting-comparison screenshots: Especially in various cockpits at dawn and dusk. This lighting update just wasn't necessary from my perspective. I was literally, several days before 2.5.6 dropped, going to post screens of some night ops I flew in the Persian Gulf to praise ED for how good night lighting had become. But man, 2.5.6 just is a real bomb that is hard to swallow coming from someone (me) who thought the lighting in DCS, day and night, was already beautiful and realistic. It also seems like the people who love the new lighting didn't really play with the gamma settings in 2.5.5. But I could be wrong.

I agree with that. I've been telling people that one gamma setting can't cover all lighting conditions, but still many people seem to adjust gamma to one value based on a clear day at noon and leave it there.

In VR, I've been amazed by how realistic lighting looks especially when the sun is just below the horizon, but only once gamma is adjusted to that lighting condition. I don't know how that level of visual realism can be achieved, but it never gets old for me. Regarding city lights though, the difference between real life and DCS 2.5.5 is abysmal.

One thing that I learned pretty recently is that if you want to emulate "what we can see IRL" on a monitor (instead of "how cameras capture real life"), due to the narrow dynamic range of displays compared to real life and our eyes adaptation capability, the image will look washed in low light scenes because the display's contrast ratio can't account for all those similar greys that our eyes perceive once adjusted to darkness.

I'm yet to try 2.5.6 though. I'm in a sweet spot regarding VR performance with the last stable but after reading so many bad and good things about 2.5.6 I'm curious to try.

So I tried 2.5.6. and the new lighting is appealing indeed, but at first sight it looks like the color accuracy that made it look almost photo-realistic in some situations before is lost in favor of more saturated colors. But as a first iteration of a WIP I understand it will be further adjusted in subsequent updates.

BTW, performance is really good in this version.

I have to say dcs is a benchmark in flight sims. I don't have any problems whatsoever with patch 2.5.6. (but it's a clean non-modded install due to the rollback stuff etc.).

But it is looking phenomenal in VR (vive index). So many new things i didn't notice before or at least they weren't looking as good as far as i remember. Especially the lighting in f16 and 18. Really really kudos to the devs. It's going in the right direction. Also the new colored f16 mfds are nice!

Edited by NineLine
removed 1.1

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals

I have to say dcs is a benchmark in flight sims. I don't have any problems whatsoever with patch 2.5.6. (but it's a clean non-modded install due to the rollback stuff etc.).

But it is looking phenomenal in VR (vive index). So many new things i didn't notice before or at least they weren't looking as good as far as i remember. Especially the lighting in f16 and 18. Really really kudos to the devs. It's going in the right direction. Also the new colored f16 mfds are nice!

+1.

Looking great on my end in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You might try by getting the moon out of the way (different time of night/ month), in the middle of nowhere then possibly tweak gamma setting a little.

The moon definitely lights up the scenery a little bit too much, not by far though. You won't see the stars though. Set your mission for say June 1st, 2300 and you should be able to see them.

I've found new gamma setting that is great for day and night 1.4 (in-game)

No Nvidia color control.

So I tried 2.5.6. and the new lighting is appealing indeed, but at first sight it looks like the color accuracy that made it look almost photo-realistic in some situations before is lost in favor of more saturated colors. But as a first iteration of a WIP I understand it will be further adjusted in subsequent updates.

BTW, performance is really good in this version.

ok so at flight level 200 through to 400 it seems like the sky around dawn and dusk is very realistic - combined with the city lights now with the correct orange warm glow.

I've never seen DCS look so much like reality (VR Rift S - gamma set to 1.0). For example on clear sky's that dark purple you get as the sun goes down to the East is really, really well done as it turns through to deeper purple and eventually night. The sky colour also in this transition period is very realistic with the clear cobalt blue with the star's shining though. I was also impressed with sun position in that as you climb the sun comes up and vice versa which affects the light level around you. It's the best i've seen in any game, flight sim or not.

Whilst this patch has caused chaos in some aspects and has been a nightmare the artwork for the sky is very well done and ED should be proud of what they have achieved. Anyone that think it doesn't look right - overly colourful - suggest you watch the next sunset from 20 to 40,000 feet as it looks alot different than down on the ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I'd also say that gamma over 1.2 you over saturate and wash out on Rift S

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

2.2 should be default, as it is default in windows and macOS (macOS used to have 1.8 if i remember correctly but changed to 2.2 some time ago)

most people will calibrate their monitors to 2.2 and those that don't calibrate their monitor will probably still run a factory preset with roughly 2.2 on their screen.

the way ED has implemented the gamma setting is really stupid imho. it's "wrong" to set your gamma to something else than your monitors/profiles gamma. for those that want to tweak the brightness/contrast there should be a seperate menu where you can adjust gamma and brightness relative to a base value of 2.2 using sliders or something. it should be clear that this is modifying the rendering intent due to personal preferences. gamma is a technical term and there should only be one "correct setting". of course people should be allowed to tweak it to their liking or maybe compensate for a bad screen, but it should be made clear which setting is the default. in most cases it would be better to compensate with your monitors hardware settings (brightness mostly) anyway. it's how every other game handles it and it's less confusing for people.

Edited by twistking

Personally, I'm enjoying the new lighting:

One thing to be aware of, when taking pre- and post- screenshots or videos, is that the sunrise/sunset times may be different between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6. So the sun's position might be different. Haven't really inverstigated further but, in this video, I had to adjust the 2.2.5 portion 23 minutes later to have the sun in the same position on the horizon at video start.

Also noticed that tracks between the two versions also play back differently depending on the DCS version used but always in precisely the same way. So I wonder if there are some minor changes that have happened under the hood--perhaps atmosphere related (used two different aircraft and the same thing happened in both). You can see the difference in this video. The landing on the left in the split screen does not mirror the landing on the right side.

And, yes, the MiG-29's pit lighting is much too bright--regardless of gamma setting--but that's another issue.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Just flew the hornet at 20:00 in PG and the lighting is like holy s**t!!! Reflections in and outside the cockpit and the city lights span for miles!!! It's amazing!!! Thank you ED.

It's amazing but need to be tweaked. However I don't understand why many people don't seem to see the difference in the daytime.

Lighting is incredible!

It's amazing but need to be tweaked. However I don't understand why many people don't seem to see the difference in the daytime.

The daytime looks allot smoother to me, there seems to be some sort of blending applied, it looks allot better and not as disjointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dav IRL

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

...However I don't understand why many people don't seem to see the difference in the daytime.

Because the difference isn’t as dramatic as the difference presented in the darker hours:

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

The daytime looks allot smoother to me, there seems to be some sort of blending applied and it’s also looks allot better and not as disjointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my crappy Rift I can still see the rings after the sunset when there's just a little bit of light left on the horizon. Same with morning twilight. The sunset looks incredible though until the last few minutes of transition into night.

Off Topic:

Also noticed that tracks between the two versions also play back differently depending on the DCS version used but always in precisely the same way. So I wonder if there are some minor changes that have happened under the hood--perhaps atmosphere related (used two different aircraft and the same thing happened in both). You can see the difference in this video. The landing on the left in the split screen does not mirror the landing on the right side.

As a VR demonstration i made a track from an F/A-18C doing a carrier landing, taxi to catapult 4 hook up, take-off and then fly low level, turn back to the ship and then pull up just right in front of it (cool to watch in VR).

Originally this worked fine (as long as i didn't switch to much views or it would crash on the ships bow). Then when the first update after the track was released it would still play nice but no further then taxiing to cat 4. It would not hook up anymore and it would blow up on normal take-off (no cat shot) when crashing into the port side of the carrier.

Now, with release 2.5.6, the airplane doesn't even reach the carrier anymore but crashes into the sea about half a mile from the carrier. The F/A-18C then sinks to the bottom and once below the waterline, the water vanishes and the ships look like they are hovering in the sky. If i watch the throttle then you can even see it move forward the moment it would "trap" on the original playback.So tracks are becoming useless when another version arrives.

On Topic:

But yes.. overall the lighting is a great improvement.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Because the difference isn’t as dramatic as the difference presented in the darker hours:

The landscapes are not much affected during daylight, but you should have compared some cockpits as well. E.g. the cockpit of the Mirage looks different now. Especially those glassy weapon-select-buttons at the bottom left of the front panel look much more realistic imo.