Heads-Up: Drevo SSD

7 months ago I was expanding my PC hardware by reassigning my 2TB SATA HDD to external storage and purchasing a couple of SSD to replace it, due to the falling price to something very acceptable.

I came across Drevo on Amazon, Their 480GB SSD was ridiculously cheap, at around £40, so I did the usual research and investigating around the 'net, but could find nothing negative printed about them. So, considering the loss if something went belly-up, I went for it.

In the first months I was impressed enough with it to make it my C: drive when I reinstalled Windows. That was a mistake.

It has recently started playing up, often really badly. Unable to read directories, unable to load web pages and other simple day-to-day tasks taking very long times or just hanging or freezing. Lots of poor performance in VR games etc.

I went back to Amazon to see about a replacement only to find that every Drevo SSD has disappeared from the store except the 60GB one, which is nevertheless shown as 'out of stock' and apparently is unlikely to return.

There are now many 'review' posts about people's SSD giving up the ghost at anything from a week to 14 months after purchase.

Not only that, but it seems Drevo have jumped overboard and abandoned the products. I get a warning from Malwarebytes when I try to visit their site and others state that even when they have sent messages to the company, there has been no reply. One customer was apparently offered a 50% refund. At least he got an answer!

I did see that a number of "no name" companies have sprung up selling SSD, and I do wonder if any of them are Drevo rebadged. Whatever, I would avoid buying these in future.

I have 4 Samsung evo SSD and they have performed flawlessly, some for several years now, and I have a Corsair M2 NVMe SSD - which is what I will be using for my O/S when I reinstall - thankfully a reinstall is due for me now anyway, due to a new mobo and cpu. I also have a Kingston 1TB which cost around £100 - great value and works fantastic for all my Steam stuff.

With prices even for branded SSD as cheap as they are now (though they have risen slightly with the things going on in the Chinese production industry atm), I would say always go for the names you know and trust.

Edit: I'm now able to open the webpage for Drevo - I still wouldn't trust them. Note that the good reviews tend to be at least a couple of years old - the newer ones are where the issues seem to have started.

https://www.drevo.net/product/storage/x1-ssd

Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DREVO-X1-120GB-2-5-inch-Version/dp/B071YSP7JQ

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

With prices even for branded SSD as cheap as they are now (though they have risen slightly with the things going on in the Chinese production industry atm), I would say always go for the names you know and trust.

Yep always. I've been a long time supporter of Samsung SSD's. In my current rig I have two M.2 Samsung Nvme SSD 960 EVO's, one as an OS drive and the other as my DCS drive. Both these drives have been in my rig for over two years and have been faultless. And even better I have a Samsung 830 SATA SSD that I purchased back in 2012 and it is now in my sons PC and still runs well 8 years later. So yeah go with a reputable name brand.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm