What is SSLR?

skouras

Anyone Suffered from a decay in terms of frames?

No a single report regarding FPS loss, but mines a bit sluggish after the 2.5.6.

Anyone noticed something?

thx

I’ve dropped a fair bit in performance. It’s not unplayable by any means but it is noticeable because I used to get between 60-70, now it is more like 40-50, maybe even 35. Where it worries me is where there are lots of wingmen and battle field elements and enemy aircraft etc. Haven’t done that yet but I fear it might grind things down t something not particularly playable.

I've seen major frame losses in VR performance. Was running solid 45fps or more like 50's 60's offline now I'm seeing barely 45 in unpopulated areas and downtown dubai went from 45 to 25-29 ish.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

F..brilliant then...

Rolling Black to the 2.5.5.

Yeah, I spent about 30min looking at the new pretties before reverting. Hopefully ED can get it fixed.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm getting the same range of FPS that I had prior to this update. In VR, with SSLR on averaging in the 50's on all maps, including Normandy which usually doesn't do well in VR for me. These are single missions, all made by me prior to this update. The Quick missions and Training missions also run in the mid 50's too. Of course there are some spikes in low level flight down Las Vegas Strip for example, down to 40 but not stuttering. I do notice a little loss of clarity in mid range view.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Yeah, I spent about 30min looking at the new pretties before reverting. Hopefully ED can get it fixed.

I've asked a few times, but here goes again. What are 'the pretties'? Where can I look to see what SSLR is doing that is so great in DCS?

I have it on in my TrackIR set up, but I can't see any difference anywhere!

Please enlighten me.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I've asked a few times, but here goes again. What are 'the pretties'? Where can I look to see what SSLR is doing that is so great in DCS?

Please enlighten me.

Water reflections.

Water reflections.

Yep, that's what the blurb says, but I see no improvement. In fact, a lot of the reflections I see are too cartoony and obviously false.

Is it only water reflections that are affected by SSLR?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Please enlighten me.

They have inserted a global lighting system similar to the RTX, it is the right way forward. It makes everything more beautiful, the surfaces better reflect the colors. The night is no longer as dark as before etc ... but they still have to refine the settings, for eg everything is too bloomy, especially the cockpit lights.

I would love to see a direct side-by-side comparison with the same scene in both 2.5.5 and 2.5.6. Not a night one as the difference is obvious there, but something that shows how 'everything is more beautiful'.

I honestly don't see it myself.

I would love to see a direct side-by-side comparison with the same scene in both 2.5.5 and 2.5.6. Not a night one as the difference is obvious there, but something that shows how 'everything is more beautiful'.

I honestly don't see it myself.

There are some comparison screenshots. The gamma, the reflexes have improved, for me it is evident. However, there is a need for more comparison, if there is any screenshots volunteer....

There are some comparison screenshots. The gamma, the reflexes have improved, for me it is evident. However, there is a need for more comparison, if there is any screenshots volunteer....

Thanks but as I said in my post, I would like to see daytime comparisons not night where it is obvious what the difference is.

However you have to change the settings, the gamma goes to 1 now

Not for me, it doesn't. If it did, I couldn't see anything at all in the cockpit when flying toward the sun.

Still no daytime comparisons? I love to see some so I can see the benefits of SSLR.

Screen Space Local Reflection. I beleive its part of RTX libs. Unless you have a RTX Nvidia board. Don't use it.

I have RTX 2060 Super. Got new drivers, so my DCS 2.5.6 is up mostly the FPS I had with 2.5.5. With SSLR ON, I am not seeing a huge FPS drop. Maybe drop by 5-7.

I run DCS without SLLR , without any antialiasing, and only 4X anisotropic filtering. No GI for cockpit. Otherwise, those features don't really add to experience, and just soak up FPS.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

omg how can you not see all the reflections of the sky (different colors different hours of the day) on the aircraft?

If that is directed at me, then the answer is, I’m not sure if I do. That is why I’m asking to see a simple screenshot comparison with and without SSLR to demonstrate the difference.

Alternatively, tell me a good scenario where I can easily see the difference myself.

If that is directed at me, then the answer is, I’m not sure if I do. That is why I’m asking to see a simple screenshot comparison with and without SSLR to demonstrate the difference.

Alternatively, tell me a good scenario where I can easily see the difference myself.

I mean everyone. I can't use the gaming pc otherwise i would have done all the necessary screenshoots. I see it from the videos, during the day it is less evident but for eg you can look it by seeing how the blue sky reflects on the gray of the plane.

OK, here are 2 comparisons. I can't tell any difference. I'm really not trying to be pedantic here, I just don't see what I should be looking for.

OK, here are 2 comparisons. I can't tell any difference. I'm really not trying to be pedantic here, I just don't see what I should be looking for.

Looky here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4213061&postcount=48

Next to the rightmost arrow, you can (if you look very carefully) see the word NAVY (just) reflected on the underside of the wing.

Or at least I think that's what it's supposed to be.

Worth the drop in FPS? Discuss.

EDIT: sorry, got my post in just after i noticed petsild posted the same thing :)

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Your view angle is way too high. Metal has a rather small critical reflection angle, so it would only be visible when the surface is near 90 deg of angle to the viewport.

Here's SSR enabled:

qne0Tj1.png

You can see the light bouncing off the back on the bottom of the wing, illuminating it and reflecting formation light and "NAVY".

Here's SSR disabled:

PUngz9e.png

You can see that the bottom of the wing is still approximately (not that SSR would not be an approximation as well) illuminated by the same reflected light, but the actual reflections are nowhere to be seen (compare it to this screenshot where viewport is lower and light is not reflected: https://i.imgur.com/FBWI8mI.png).

Right, thank you guys.

So, this is what we are talking about, that little piece of wing showing reflections from the water?

When we are flying, how much time do we spend staring at external views? Are there any SSLR effects when in cockpit, the normal view?

Hmm.. as Hippo says, worth all the fuss and drop in fps? Discuss!

I just hope it stays as an option (cough, deferred shading, cough).

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals