Cockpit anchors

mastershotgun

Hi Guys,

I'm wandering if somebody form ED had a thought about adding an anchors to the cockpits.

The idea is to step up VR experience and improve the PVI (Pilot Vehicle Interaction). The high fidelity cockpits are already excellent and only possible step up is if you feel all the switches and knobs etc. For that the best thing would be if you can build your own boards with the switches and levers etc, you do not need to bother with the indicators and control lights etc, that is already handled by the VR very good. But to do that to have my physical switch on the board I need 2 things, dimensions and placements of all the boards and switches, which should not be a problem, but also build in anchors which will help me to sync position of my board with the cockpit dashboard I see in the VR. And to sync it constantly... With millimeter precision sync...

What do you think guys?

Please do not consider this as a feature request, but more like conversation starter / speculations. I would like to hear your thoughts what might be hurdle to overcome, etc...

I undestood NOTHING. :-(

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

He wants a feature that helps sync home-cockpit switch position to in-game cockpit switch position for VR use.
That I understood but I don't understand how he wants ED to implement it.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Implementation is the developer's responsibility, not the customer's.
We aren't going nowhere then, I'm afraid

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

He wants a feature that helps sync home-cockpit switch position to in-game cockpit switch position for VR use.

Exactly!

My thoughts are that the ED might implement something like an anchor points to the cockpits, so the game would understand that those are the fix points which will be directly mapped to something in the physical area, like for example those Vive trackers... When you have one anchor point on top right corner of the dashboard and one on the bottom left, and your trackers are one those points in the real world, plus position of your HMD, basically gives you all the points in space you need to render it properly with good enough precision (I hope).

Of course that would mean you need special physical cockpit for each plane, no arguing there, but PVI would be unmatched!

Also some headsets have cameras, so maybe you can achieve same thing with a QR codes on the anchor points...

Edited by mastershotgun

Don't think it would ever work since there's to many different spec HMD's already on the market and in use. Hence the presence of a world scale slider and a utility to correct the projection numbers.

Well, my understanding is that all those settings are basically just hacks for height adjustments. Almost no game have variable height of the protagonist and people that are really tall or really small have issues with the average height that they are trying to force on you...

My thoughts, since you know exact distance of two points in the real world and the game know the distance also the exact place where those two ponits should be located, it could just "snap" to them, aka my anchor points.

What do you thing guys?

Well, my understanding is that all those settings are basically just hacks for height adjustments. Almost no game have variable height of the protagonist and people that are really tall or really small have issues with the average height that they are trying to force on you...

The world scale setting affects the distance between the left and right cameras, to compensate for people's eyes being different distances apart.

I agree with Nodak, that there are too many variables to make it possible.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The world scale setting affects the distance between the left and right cameras, to compensate for people's eyes being different distances apart.

I agree with Nodak, that there are too many variables to make it possible.

Distances between the eyes, isn't that the IPD? All the HMD I saw have way to adjust it and DCS have even the setting to force it... So no need for adjusting the scale of the world... Btw I have more that one HMD and none of them have the world scale setting anywhere as far as I can tell, so isn't that just plain IPD, by any chance?

I don't know if this method's level of precision would be helpful to your needs , but i locate my stick and throttle realistically by taking advantage of my controller's index finger sensing . I extended the finger , and watched the virtual index finger as it "touched" the virtual stick or throttle (from 2 directions) . I then adjusted the controls to match . Rinse and repeat until your virtual fingertip touches the virtual control simultaneously with your real one .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Well that is not bad idea, I'm going to try it...

The reason why I opened this topic is that I watch a guy to create model of his real world mug in a 3d studio, or what it was and than stick his real mug on top of the HTC tracker and it was precise enough that he was able to pick it up in the VR and drink from it...

I would like to see this with the cockpit dashboard, two points should be enough and you could interact with all the switches and buttons...

I would think thing one would be at least put out a Layout guide with the plane so you could at least put the surfaces and switches dimensionally where they are in the VR cockpit. Right now it's nothing, good luck, go find some model of the cockpit and guess exactly where we put the camera.

Thing is, you will still be doing a major swap out for each plane, or need a lot of room for multiple cockpits.

I would think thing one would be at least put out a Layout guide with the plane so you could at least put the surfaces and switches dimensionally where they are in the VR cockpit. Right now it's nothing, good luck, go find some model of the cockpit and guess exactly where we put the camera.

Thing is, you will still be doing a major swap out for each plane, or need a lot of room for multiple cockpits.

Well, for the precise cockpit model, I tough that ED would publish what they made, basically I need to make replica of their cockpit not the real one

For the room you are right, this would require separate cockpit for each plane, which is fine I'm counting on it...