[INVESTIGATING]slow loading in 2.5.6

Japo32

Same here

Win10, I7-7700K, 32GB, RTX-3080Ti, 3xSSD (System, DCS and one more), VKB Gunfighter MCG Pro, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar, Saitek X-55, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, MSFF2, G-940, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH MFP, TrackIR-5 + TrackClip Pro, DELL 21:9 Monitor

For me it was about 10s to menu in 2.5.5, now it’s almost a minute in 2.5.6.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, still long initial load times on OB.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

No change here after the latest update. Since the introduction of the "little" DCS loading screen, it sits, and according to my monitoring software does very little for a good 30 seconds. Then it goes full screen and gets the show on the road. It is better than it was, but since the introduction of the little DCS loading screen, loading times are definitely longer, once your in its ok but i hate that pesky screen.

How much longer, Ops? The engine’s overheating and so am I. We either stand down or blow up. Which do you want?

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

• 2 months later...

2.5.6.50979 OB seems to have improved the initial loading time.

Not quite at 2.5.5 levels but it's an improvement!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

• 3 months later...

Confirming this is indeed still an issue for me since 2.5.5

task manager also shows mine using little / no resources and even not responding sometimes for half a minute; sometimes if I pester it, it will go ahead and crash itself.

Up until 2.5.5 I rarely even saw the splash screen.

Still a bit annoying to see it sit and do nothing for half a minute.

No change here after the latest update. Since the introduction of the "little" DCS loading screen, it sits, and according to my monitoring software does very little for a good 30 seconds. Then it goes full screen and gets the show on the road. It is better than it was, but since the introduction of the little DCS loading screen, loading times are definitely longer, once your in its ok but i hate that pesky screen.

Let's point out for those that would dare to wonder ... no it's probably not the little loading screen it self :smilewink:

Sometimes programs get tangled in some kind of "thinkering" loop where they churn longer than they should, longer than it needs to be considering hardware's capabilities, it happens.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 months later...

So returning to this once again, I just timed it.

for reference, 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, with DCS on an NVME over PCIe.

NVME as tested on CrystalDisk; Sequential read at 3400MB/s and write at 990MB/s, 4Kib Q8T8 at 801/811; so it's... plenty fast;

Timing: 1 minute, 20 seconds to go from splash screen to the main menu.

CPU sitting at 1% that entire time on DCS.exe, never climbed to 2% until the screen blacks out from the small splash screen.

Windows Defender however sitting there DESTROYING one of my cores in the meanwhile...

So it was Defender the whole time. Added an exclusion for DCS, and now it starts up in 20 seconds.

For anyone looking for an answer; start up task manager and watch for Windows Defender, because that may be the issue.

Edit - For what it's worth "well that's obvious," I had done this previously actually a while ago, and upon shifting DCS from a SATA SSD to the PCIe NVME, I forgot to include that rule as well; which is roughly in line with 2.5.6 update, and why it was such a problem for me.

And the other reason I never really caught it is while looking at Task Manager, the CPU use appeared low because Defender was only running a single core / thread process; meaning what I saw graph wise in Task Manager was... well not very obvious until looking at the exe's themselves.

Edited by XCNuse

• 1 month later...

I had the same bad experience with the loading time, especially at the connection to the servers (it could last more than 10 minutes, and then completely freeze).

The problem been solved by enabling the system managed swap file at the Virtual Memory options for ALL the drives (before that, it was enabled for the system disk only).

Now the connection to 104th server took four minutes only and less than two minutes the second time reconnection, at the high graphics settings i guess it is pretty well.

I hope it will help for the someone else.

★★★ 🇷🇺 ★★★

Yesterday, I've helped someone who had a very long loading time. It was Bitdefender looking at every files opened by DCS.

I told him to add the two main DCS folders as exceptions in Bitdefender. He did it, and told me his DCS now reaches main menu in 23 seconds, when mine was 50 seconds slower!

I'm using Windows Defender, and I had never tried to add these exceptions myself. So here I go: DCS now reaches main menu in 27 seconds! 😍

Give it a try, fellows. Here are the folders you want added as exceptions:

image.png

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

14 minutes ago, Flappie said:

I'm using Windows Defender, and I had never tried to add these exceptions myself. So here I go: DCS now reaches main menu in 27 seconds! 😍

Give it a try, fellows. 

I already do have them 👍

Nu8MujR.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB