What percenage of the user base uses VR?

Harlikwin

What percenage of the user base uses VR?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What percenage of the user base uses VR?

• VR all the way!
    • Flat Screen here!

VR is only going in one direction... (and not South) :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Nice Poll ... but too binary ... I use VR, but not all the time. When editing missions I prefer to use 2D while editing and testing, changing to VR only once it is done.

Which is largely moot. It's safe to assume EVERYONE uses ''both'' if that's your criteria for it. The relevant part is what's your PRIMARY method for actually playing the game, which as you said is VR.

I jumped on the VR bandwagon, btw. The Rift S was just too damn ''affordable'' to not gamble on. Sadly my homepit now sits unused.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Well, i use both, depending on the situation so no PRIMARY method...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Cant afford VR, the price needs to come way down

What's the price of a proper 4K screen? I assume such a resolution also requires a proper pc.

A Rift S can be bought for about €300,- if you don't mind a used set..

(just to put stuff into perspective ;))

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 2 years later...

Since this poll sits deep down in input devices/ VR sub forum,  Its unlikely most people who don't have VR or are not interested in it will see it, so not a valid reflection of total DCS users IMHO. 

• Like 2

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

4 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

It was deep down.... 2 years deep down, until you posted that reply. 🤣

🤣

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

According to the latest data from Valve, VR headsets on Steam reached 2.12% of the Steam audience in February 2022.  Of course, this is for the total Steam market, but it gives a ballpark on what numbers would be for the DCS audience.

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-steam-vr-headset-stats-2021-monthly-active-users/

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

According to the latest data from Valve, VR headsets on Steam reached 2.12% of the Steam audience in February 2022.  Of course, this is for the total Steam market, but it gives a ballpark on what numbers would be for the DCS audience.

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-steam-vr-headset-stats-2021-monthly-active-users/

However it would not take into account all the newer Quest 2 users who are running natively through the Oculus SDK. There has been a sizeable uptick in those users over the last several months. And then of course there are the Open XR users, like the MSFS 2020 VR users. Hmm I wonder if it takes into account those that purchased MSFS 2020 through Steam but run in VR with Open XR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

10 minutes ago, dburne said:

However it would not take into account all the newer Quest 2 users who are running natively through the Oculus SDK.

I was just trying to provide at least one hard figure that can give a glimpse at just how large the VR user base really is .. rather than just going by the feel of my pants and take a number out of my hat.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Rudel_chw:

It´s a bit misleading to get to know how many VR players are in DCS World, I would say, as only a small percentage of games on Steam does provide VR support, beside the variety of HMDs on the market on top of Valves´s Index, as dburne said.

Maybe we would get better statistics, if the amount of total VR headsets sold in 2021 could be compared to the amount of steering wheels for sim-racing or HOTAS in a close  price range to VR headsets sold in 2021.

I see VR headsets like other hardware equipment related to PC gaming. No one asks about the percentage of Yoke- users on Steam to get to the statement hardware Yokes are dead.

The stuff is just there and could be used.

If going by the feeling of my pants and from the people I´ve flown with in DCS, I would estimate the percentage of VR users in DCS around 20% - 25% with growing interest of DCS pilots who never used VR before. 

Edited by Rosebud47

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

The Washington Post estimated 2% of gamers overall use VR; Sony claims about twice that many are using VR with Playstation.  

Question in my mind is, where Windows is going with this.  WMR is extremely slick; you want people to play VR, eventually it's gonna have to be as simple as plugging your headset in and putting it on.  WMR is there, but Microsoft isn't even supporting its own gaming platform.  At best, it made a half-hearted swipe at supporting the SVR API.

Which leads to the question, where is Steam going with all this.  Clearly, Steam and Facebook are trying to replicate the Apple "ecosystem" model.  Facebook has been doing a decent job by all accounts.  Steam, on the other hand, has (in my opinion) been doing a spectacularly bad job of hardware development.   Currently almost half of Steam VR users are actually using a Facebook product, if that's any indication.  

And finally, where does that leave DCS.

I think ED has done a great job of positioning itself in both ecosystems.  The problem in my opinion comes from the stifling effect the Apple model has on hardware development.   About the only option indie developers have, if they want access to the gaming market (including DCS) is to figure out some way to use the SVR API, which to my untrained eye seems complex and inefficient.  

Hence the push for OpenXR, I suppose.  But, that leaves DCS in at least a temporary quandary, because Vulkan doesn't presently support OXR.  People are working on it. 

Meanwhile, open-source solutions for OXR implementation have been moving forward at light speed, thanks to the efforts of a few dedicated developers (some of whom, ironically, work for Microsoft).   As of last week, if you have a Reverb headset, and have a clean DCS install (one that hasn't been tarted up with all kinds of shader mods, which are going the way of the dodo) OXR is a one-click install.  That's big news, and a harbinger of the future.

Keep your eye on Varjo.  They get it; that's our future.  What do you call multi-core support, plus one-click OXR implementation, plus  Varjo?  Assuming GPU technology can keep up, I would call it "complete bliss." 

It's coming.  And that's when VR will relegate flat-screen gaming into the dustbin of history.  Until then, we are early adapters, nothing more.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder