What takeaways do you get from the BFM MiG-29 training mission?

AegisFX

I know the AI is random but man, the turning radius is good, especially if you do the G-override. Perhaps that will change with upgraded damage modeling or flight modeling though.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

The Hornet is an excellent dogfighter if flown to its strengths. IIRC, the AI level in these BFM training missions is set to Random. I suggest that you fly against the AI on High and then Excellent or even better, against other players.

High is good, on Excellent the AI actually "cheats" a bit sometimes and can be quite difficult, but it'll make you better if you manage to consistently defeat it despite that. Again, the best training is against other players.

Lastly, you shouldn't use the G-limiter override unless absolutely necessary (like I'm going to die in the next 3 seconds if I don't). Every real Hornet pilot here says it's never used in dogfights and should only be used if you're about to high-five the ground. I also personally find that it's not needed for the Hornet's dogfighting style, as your biggest advantage is your high AOA authority.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Exactly the kind of info I was hoping others would add. Thank you

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Every AI aircraft is totally beatable in the Hornet with solid BFM. It's a competitive aircraft with anything else out there in the game, even against AI that cheat. Except maybe the MiG-15, that things a real UFO...

Anyway, keep practicing. I agree the G-limiter is not needed whatsoever. It tends to bleed your speed much too fast anyway.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

My next question is, can we place an AWACS with a bunch of Hornets with their weapons in SIM mode and perform more "training" styled missions where we can "launch" or "Shoot" weapons with each other and not actually lose aircraft..

Art Of The Kill:

My next question is, can we place an AWACS with a bunch of Hornets with their weapons in SIM mode and perform more "training" styled missions where we can "launch" or "Shoot" weapons with each other and not actually lose aircraft..

The TCTS pod, A/A mode, OSB pushbutton SIM, select gun. It actually does simulate the "hits" on the HUD, although I haven't found a way to dissect / process that information after the flight. From what I have found, you just have to rely on the pilot who employed the gun to be truthful in calling his "hits." We have loaded the training 9x (catm I believe they call it), but don't seem to get any further information from that ordinance.

Would certainly like to hear from someone if they have had better success with trying that.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie
EDIT for "select SIM"

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I mean, it's hard to tell really. In guns only, every time I go up against an AI Su-27 or MiG-29 in an F-18, I win. However, every time I fly the flanker or fulcrum against an AI F-18, I win. I can't even tell if its easier for me in one or another. Point is, I think flying against players is the way to go.

An AI MiG-21 did totally own me once, though. Not sure how I let that happen. I must have been holding on to my missiles while he had none. That thing had no problem keeping up with me.

On an unrelated note, flying the MiG-15 against the Sabre is something I have yet to beat the AI on. Those early fighters are a mystery to me. What do you mean I can't turn hard with a ridiculous AoA and fly in any direction I please? There seems to be a lot more forethought necessary. I never know when, at what speed, and in what direction I'll get my best turn.

I mean, it's hard to tell really. In guns only, every time I go up against an AI Su-27 or MiG-29 in an F-18, I win. However, every time I fly the flanker or fulcrum against an AI F-18, I win. I can't even tell if its easier for me in one or another. Point is, I think flying against players is the way to go.

An AI MiG-21 did totally own me once, though. Not sure how I let that happen. I must have been holding on to my missiles while he had none. That thing had no problem keeping up with me.

On an unrelated note, flying the MiG-15 against the Sabre is something I have yet to beat the AI on. Those early fighters are a mystery to me. What do you mean I can't turn hard with a ridiculous AoA and fly in any direction I please? There seems to be a lot more forethought necessary. I never know when, at what speed, and in what direction I'll get my best turn.

The AI mig15, mig21, and F-5 have really bad flight models. They are basically little ufos that ignore energy states and gravity.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Set the airplanes to indestructible, so you can see and analyze the weapons hits in tacview later

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The AI mig15, mig21, and F-5 have really bad flight models. They are basically little ufos that ignore energy states and gravity.

Thats just DCS AI SFM and their behavior unfortunately, it loves its infinity lööps.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Yah, I've had a couple of MiG-21s glue themselves to my ass, including closing on an F-14 in full burner in the vertical.

Yah, I've had a couple of MiG-21s glue themselves to my ass, including closing on an F-14 in full burner in the vertical.

Yeah it's always fun flying the f14 against an AI f5, go into vertical loops and watch the f5 fly into space while you stall out.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Yeah it's always fun flying the f14 against an AI f5, go into vertical loops and watch the f5 fly into space while you stall out.

LOL , I saw that too. :megalol:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb