Poor performance but low GPU utilization since 2.5.6 (NO VR)

Prior to 2.5.6, my 1080ti was being used fine, 3d clocks and utilization as high as needed up to 99% over dubai with maxed settings.

FPS would drop below 60 (in my case as I use vsync) only after my GPU was at 99% if more power was required at that time to keep that frame rate...however, now in the new 2.5.6, I constantly see my gpu being barely used and not even cranking the 3d clocks :huh::doh: ...of course, my fps drop to absurd levels, as low as 12fps sometimes while the GPU was at 1500mghz and 20/30% utilization. I tried forcing maximum performance in the ncp but it does nothing.

Here is a capture of the gpu usage after a few minutes in a server, where I could barely fly due to atrocious fps (about 17/20 fps max):

1582067307-gcj-vj.jpg

Look at that gpu usage AND clocks while DCS was running at 20fps.

CPU usage was pretty much the same as in previous versions so dont think thats the cause. Everything else in my system remains the same too. FXO/Metashaders2 refreshed after installing the patch.

Anyone?

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

I've had higher than normal CPU usage myself. In one mission that was previously fine and getting 50-60 FPS at a certain heavy point, it'll now drop to even mid-30s. The GPU would randomly go up to 100% without reason, stay there for a few seconds and then drop to 70% (normal). I've never had mid-30s FPS before, since I configure DCS to run with 55-60 in most scenarios.

All that after I cleared fxo, metashaders2 etc. Something is definitely off here. I can provide a log if needed.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Idk. My 2080 ti has been jackhammered on 2.5.6 97% most of the time.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Idk. My 2080 ti has been jackhammered on 2.5.6 97% most of the time.
Do you have SSLR on? Without it, I get "normal" GPU usage most of the time, maybe a little higher than 2.5.5, except for some instances where it goes bonkers, accompanied by my CPU DCS core pegged to or close to 100%.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Same here. I've got a BIG mission that I liked to play in 2.5.5 with over 400 units (attached). I never dipped below 25 FPS at the absolute worst points and it was quite playable. My GPU always ran b/w 97 and 100 % load. In 2.5.6, the same mission is unplayable with consistent frame drops as low as 8 fps...but in task manager, the GPU is now seriously under utilized (see screen) at the same time.

gpu.thumb.jpg.2b1db8a3029e589c8db7bc148e18de3d.jpg

Hornet - PG Dynamic Weather - CAS.miz

Please note, though: In 2.5.6, my gpu will also run at the old 97 - 100 % as well....so not sure what's up with that?

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

DCS is known to hit GPU 100% in many cases, because of the rendering cost it doesn't increase the FPS that much in most cases, with low GPU hungry cases you can have 100 or over FPS with very little GPU activity, for example in pause it always hits 100% because the CPU has nothing else to do and has free room to fill the GPU I think or whatever's happening there exactly, I don't want to say because I didn't look into that still. All activity should be frozen when the game is paused, it's sort of a soft pause. GPU activity in pause is a real power consumption argument. I'm resorting to suspending the process with NIRCMD or Resource Monitor.

I made myself a small batch file for quickly suspending it (and resuming)

@echo off
echo.
echo.
echo ***** SYS-CMD: Suspending Process DCS.exe ****
timeout 1
nircmd.exe suspendprocess dcs.exe
echo.
echo.
echo ***** SYS-CMD: DCS.exe Suspended
echo.
echo --> Press any key to resume DCS.exe
pause
timeout 1
nircmd.exe resumeprocess dcs.exe
echo.
echo.
echo ***** DCS.exe has been resumed, happy flying *****
timeout 3
echo.
echo.
exit

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

DCS is known to hit GPU 100% in many cases, because of the rendering cost it doesn't increase the FPS that much in most cases, with low GPU hungry cases you can have 100 or over FPS with very little GPU activity, for example in pause it always hits 100% because the CPU has nothing else to do and has free room to fill the GPU I think or whatever's happening there exactly, I don't want to say because I didn't look into that still. All activity should be frozen when the game is paused, it's sort of a soft pause. GPU activity in pause is a real power consumption argument. I'm resorting to suspending the process with NIRCMD or Resource Monitor.

I made myself a small batch file for quickly suspending it (and resuming)

@echo off
echo.
echo.
echo ***** SYS-CMD: Suspending Process DCS.exe ****
timeout 1
nircmd.exe suspendprocess dcs.exe
echo.
echo.
echo ***** SYS-CMD: DCS.exe Suspended
echo.
echo --> Press any key to resume DCS.exe
pause
timeout 1
nircmd.exe resumeprocess dcs.exe
echo.
echo.
echo ***** DCS.exe has been resumed, happy flying *****
timeout 3
echo.
echo.
exit

When I test(ed) this, I did not pause it. Again, in 2.5.5: 97-100% GPU usage at all times according to the task manager (no game pause). In 2.5.6, GPU usage jumping all over the place, going as low as the 30's %. This is all single player, by the way.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Hi,

I have same issue. In 2.5.5. I havent any issue with sound and FPS. After update to 2.5.6. I have crackling audio and lower FPS. Yesterday I upgrade DCS to Openbeta 2.5.6.43872 and issues are still there.

Lower FPS:

on full stennis 2.5.5 - 45FPS > 2.5.6. - 43-44FPS - its OK but...

free flight near caucasus shoreline 2.5.5. - 60FPS (gsync) > 2.5.6. - very offen drop to 40FPS.

Chase cam F2 - GPU at 60%

In cockpit F1 - GPU at 99%

measured in hornet near caucasus shoreline

GTX1070, 32GB RAM, I5 6600k @4,3Ghz, win10