Monitor vs TV question

So i want a bigger screen.

I am currently using an acer P243w monitor for DCS on my NVIDIA 1070 and really have no complaints. According to control panel it is running at 60Hz refresh.

I am looking at a Samsung 43" Tizen 4K TV. It has a "motion rate" of 120 so I am assuming the refresh is also around 60Hz based on what i read.

Has anyone bought a larger 4K TV and are there any downsides I am missing? I only play DCS so I'm not interested in spending crazy money on a large gaming monitor for a refresh I'll never notice.

Thoughts?

Help?

THanks.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I just bought a new 4K TV on Monday (Samsung QLED 43‘‘) as my old 43“ Philips 4K quit service after 4 years of playing DCS. Although the new one has a refreshrate of 60Hz only, I‘m more than satisfied with the TV.

The closer you are planning to sit in front of the screen, at a certain point, it makes no sense to have a screen that forces you to constantly turning your head.

That's the one I bought: SAMSUNG GQ43Q60RGTXZG QLED TV (around 500€)

Edited by sharkfin61
TV specification

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

whats the diff of OLED/LED/QLED?

UHD LED are about $2-300 cheaper?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Doom, the main downside of a TV versus dedicated monitor is typically input lag (which is also worse at 4K than HD if I'm not mistaken). This has gotten better with time as TV makers have begun to cater more to console gamers with low-lag "gaming modes" built in. But I've seen input lag in gaming monitors as low as 2 milliseconds, and 4K TVs (that lacked gaming mode) as high as 150 ms.

Also note that input lag (time between your input and a change on screen) is not the same as response time (how fast a pixel can change colors, basically). A lot of TVs advertise high response times but don't publish input lag, which will be considerably slower.

While flight simming is not twitch FPS gaming, I'd still suggest you look for as low input lag as you can find if you go the TV route, especially if you go 4K. Also check to make sure the TV has the inputs you want (many seem to lack DisplayPort). Best of luck!

Monitor vs TV question

Just to add to Vector’s great advice, there are many DisplayPort to HDMI cable/converters and they aren’t all created the same. I had one that worked well on one TV and absolutely refused to work on a another.

These guys have a pretty comprehensive ratings list of TV’s for gaming in all price ranges.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doom, the main downside of a TV versus dedicated monitor is typically input lag (which is also worse at 4K than HD if I'm not mistaken). This has gotten better with time as TV makers have begun to cater more to console gamers with low-lag "gaming modes" built in. But I've seen input lag in gaming monitors as low as 2 milliseconds, and 4K TVs (that lacked gaming mode) as high as 150 ms.

..., I'd still suggest you look for as low input lag as you can find if you go the TV route, especially if you go 4K. Also check to make sure the TV has the inputs you want (many seem to lack DisplayPort). Best of luck!

Just as an example, mine has an input lag of 13 milliseconds.

If you force to downscale the picture to a non-native resolution like 2k on a native 4k screen, it might produce more lag (as experienced with my departed 43" LED TV). Additionally I think the 1070 might be a little too weak for the full 4k sensation.

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

I personally would just recommend getting a large 1440p monitor over a tv.

Much easier to run on a GPU as well, compared to 2160p.

And the extra resolution between a 1080p and 1440p is quite large, much more so than 1440p to 2160p.

Plenty of those in around 30" or so, and you mount it closer to get similar fov.

If you want more sense of scale, nothing beats VR.

If you want a TV still, shop around for one that doesn't seem to bad when upscaling from 1080p, 4k is not something I'd recommend on anything less than a 1080ti/2070s.

I never bothered running more than 1080p to my TV, my avr isn't quite capable to pass 4k@60 and I see no point in routing around it for playing lazy-couch games.

It's not a speed monster, far from it so around 30ms or so in latency.

As for the Samsung motion rate, that's how often the panel refresh internally, but it only takes a 60hz input signal I'm sure.

This isn't a bad thing since in the lower price ranges you often see TV's with just a 50hz panel, but their video processor still take a 60hz signal. But if you feed these panels a proper 60 fps image the internal processing and panel can't keep up and you get tearing and artefacting even with v-sync on.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Do it and don't look back. For a flight sim you don't need 144hz (its honestly a meme for anything other than CS:GO).

I'm on a 70inch Samsung 4k and I love it. I truly feel I'm in the plane because the TV takes up my entire field of vision. Input lag is only 10ms and again that's liveable for a flight sim.

This looks like a good resource for selecting a low lag TV

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 years later...

I have an old Sony BRAVIA V-Series KDL-52V5100 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV do you think this will work with DCS? I am going to try it tonight when I get home from work but wanted to know before moving it is it worth the effort. It weighs 67 pounds and is upstairs from my gaming room!