DCS Waypoint Editor

grant977

There is one last change for this round of updates.  The mission order entry for F18C is changed from 8-7-3-2 to 8-2-7-3 which is the order the aircraft "Step" button uses.  Before, if you were entering 4 mission coordinates you had to select station 7 for the target you wanted on station 2, etc.  The caveat is that if you have saved mission profiles they may need updated to match the new order.

https://github.com/atcz/DCSWaypointEditor/releases/tag/v1.1.0-rc1

I've been using this version for a couple of days and it seems solid.

Thanks, I noticed the version number after posting it and it will get fixed for the release version.  I've been using it quite a bit, and it's fun launching 8 JSOW or 8 JDAM and watching them all hit from external view.  It would take 10 minutes to program in all the coordinates separately.  This needs an AH-64 driver written for it now, will have to figure out how you get the display names and button presses for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lasko said:

New version up just now:

v1.1.0-rc3

• Created a "File" menu to access the Settings window or Exit.
  • Added a selectable setting for PySimpleGUI Theme to choose any of the available color themes.
  • Moved setup specific functions to first_setup.py

👍  One suggestion... would be good to be able to import combatflite waypoint export (using the NS430 export function) directly into the waypoint editor

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

That doesn't seem like it would be a problem, there is already code to do an import from the clipboard or a file.  If someone can attach an export file I will take a look at it.  Can probably implement it as import or export.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lasko said:

That doesn't seem like it would be a problem, there is already code to do an import from the clipboard or a file.  If someone can attach an export file I will take a look at it.  Can probably implement it as import or export.

Here u go.  This is a navaid file / NS 430 Export with just waypoint data

navaids.dat

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

On 3/29/2022 at 1:45 PM, Brainfreeze said:

Here u go.  This is a navaid file / NS 430 Export with just waypoint data

I have it working, and it will add any line starting with FIX and containing four fields as a waypoint or mission point.  Not sure if there can be other data in the file, or if it is appropriate to import something other than FIX.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 2:23 AM, Lasko said:

I have it working, and it will add any line starting with FIX and containing four fields as a waypoint or mission point.  Not sure if there can be other data in the file, or if it is appropriate to import something other than FIX.

Thks Lasko.  Working gr8!   no idea either if it is capable of anything else than FIX.  Not sure if target points can be entered or not for eg. but at least it is working for waypoints now. 

19 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Thks Lasko.  Working gr8!   no idea either if it is capable of anything else than FIX.  Not sure if target points can be entered or not for eg. but at least it is working for waypoints now. 

Are target points not just waypoints?

35 minutes ago, Habu_69 said:

Are target points not just waypoints?

Nope.  In the AV8B tgt points can be labelled differently so that they can be used for JDAM ammunitions

3 hours ago, P-inna said:

Sounds awesome. Trying to use it but DCS waypoint editor keeps saying 'No matching pattern' after hitting 'Ctrl + T'. Am i missing something?

Sometimes tesseract is glitchy with finding characters that aren't there.  In the log.txt it will record what it found, something like this:

2022-04-22 11:23:06,438:gui: DEBUG - Raw captured text: 42°46'46"N 41°47'04*E, 2918 ft
2022-04-22 11:23:06,441:gui: DEBUG - Text found 42°46'46"N 41°47'04*E, 2918 FT but did not match any known pattern.

Here it put in a * instead of " and that one I've seen before.  I will add to the regex in the next release to allow * in that spot.  You can change coordinate format with Lalt-Y and I have the best luck with ddd mm ss.ss or MGRS formats.

3 hours ago, P-inna said:

Started it as administrator, installed Tessract.

You should not need to run as administrator.  I think there was something mentioned in DCS-BIOS about running as administrator but for what we're doing it's not needed and I don't run it that way.  IMO, anything that makes you run as administrator is just forcing you into a workaround for bad coding, in most cases.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick reply!

This is the error in my log file:

2022-04-23 09:41:14,918:gui: DEBUG - Raw captured text: ‘N41-50-09.83 £41-47-46.59, 22 ft
2022-04-23 09:41:14,921:gui: DEBUG - Text found ‘N41-50-09.83 E41-47-46.59, 22 FT but did not match any known pattern.
2022-04-23 09:41:14,921:gui: ERROR - Failed to parse captured text
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "src\gui.py", line 681, in add_parsed_coords
  File "src\gui.py", line 674, in parse_map_coords_string
ValueError: No matching pattern

Edited by P-inna

The problem is the ‘N that it found, not sure what that symbol is or how it found it, but that is throwing it off.  I will have to see if there is a way to have it ignore anything before N/S.  Otherwise it looks like you have everything working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not now able to get map capture to function, when it was a couple of weeks ago. .I get the unsuccess chime and error "no matching pattern". DCS 2.7.12.23362, Win 11, WP Editor 1.1.0. Anyone else have this issue?

• Like 1

A new version with some minor fixes was just made available:

https://github.com/atcz/DCSWaypointEditor/releases

v1.1.1:

• Added a confirm popup for Delete Profile.
  • Added an overwrite popup for Save and Save As if an existing profile name is entered.
  • Tesseract occasionally adds a random phantom character at the beginning of the line. This character is now ignored as long as the text string otherwise matches an expected pattern.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

I am not now able to get map capture to function, when it was a couple of weeks ago. .I get the unsuccess chime and error "no matching pattern". 

"No matching pattern" means that Tesseract mangled the characters somehow, either misidentifying a character or adding something that isn't there.  The log.txt file will tell you what it found, just look for the "Raw captured text" line.

Version 1.1.1 has two fixes for this.  Extra phantom characters at the beginning of the line like the ‘N reported by @P-inna are ignored, and I also found it was seeing * or ° instead of " in DD MM SS format and it will now accept any of those.

• Like 1

PM me if you are interested in testing the Apache Pilot and CPG that I'm working on.  DCS Bios has updated files available, not packaged in a release yet.  I built a framework for it based on available templates but don't have the Apache to actually try it out.

• Like 1