DCS Waypoint Editor

grant977

Considering it seems the thread has been revived, I'll chip in my two cents. Anyone having issues with the quick capture failing to capture f-10? Often works in a very on-off manner, mainly off. Happens on Caucasus, Syria and PG in the F/A-18. Would be great to find a fix!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems development on this app stalled in 2020, it would be awesome if some kind coder out there could pick it up to address the few issues left with it to hold us over until ED gets off their ass and makes this a native function of dcs like it should have been years ago.

the main issues are:

-Waypoints with negative altitude not being captured by OCR, (i think this is because the scripting dosn't know what to do with the -hyphen denoting a negative number, but thats just a guess, i am not a coder.)

-version check not recognizing that the "beta 1.0" is the newest release, so it pops up the new version window ever time.

i am scriptkitty not a coder but i can help with writing documentation,  bug testing, or anything else, just hit me up on here or github or discord.

Edited by Epiic_Penguin

I've made some of the fixes people have asked for, and made the UI E/W friendly.  I'm not sure how to build a downloadable version, but the source files are at:

https://github.com/atcz/DCSWaypointEditor

Here's the notes on changes in my version:

- The version nag window does a number compare instead of text compare to eliminate false alerts.
- Added N/S/E/W radio buttons, adjusted frame alignments.
- Created data files for Marianas, Nevada and Syria airports.
- Added buttons for preset location to load only Caucasus, Marianas, Nevada, Persian Gulf or Syria airports.
- Fixed some of the OCR issues:
    - Negative altitude was not being recognized, now found and adjusted to zero.
    - MGRS parsing misses a space, e.g. 40 RCM or 40R CM instead of 40 R CM. The spaces are now optional.
    - Added a replace to change ) to J, and £ to E.  Whitelist would be better, but could not get it to work.
        2022-03-01 17:31:11,441:gui: DEBUG - Raw captured text: N26°28.412 £49°37.163, 91 ft
        2022-03-01 17:31:11,494:gui: DEBUG - DD MM.MMM input found: 26 28.412 N 49 37.163 E
        2022-03-01 17:31:48,532:gui: DEBUG - Raw captured text: 39 RY) 37006 31277, -117 ft
        2022-03-01 17:31:48,595:gui: DEBUG - MGRS input found: 39RYJ3700631277
    - OCR was mixing up ° and ', will now accept either one.
    - It still sometimes fails for no apparent reason.  The screen is captured with no top bar and no overlays, or just a partial image.
    - Capturing should no longer become unresponsive after a failure to parse the text string, and a debug is logged:
        "Text found " + coords_string.rstrip() + " but did not match any known pattern. Sorry about that."
- Updated the DCS bios version to 0.7.44.
- Changed the GUI theme to 'Reddit'.

• Like 1

Thks @Lasko did you fix the AV8B input by any chance?  UFC changes automatically from N coord to E coord input upon pressing <ent> key so no longer need to press on ODU....

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

The only mod I have is F18, but AV8 looks simple enough.  Is that the odu("2") in between enter lat and enter lon?

For North:
            ufc("2")

For South:
            ufc("8")

enter_number(lat_str)

-> odu("2")

For East:
            ufc("6")
For West:
            ufc("4")

enter_number(lon_str)

odu("2")

@Lasko Very much appreciate you  taking on this upgrade task. I copied the files from your link to my Waypoint Editor folder. Still get the update nag and GUI says v1.0.0b1. No radio buttons or other new features you describe. Must be doing something wrong. Do I need to update DCS BIOS?

Unless you build it yourself from the source files you won't see the change.  I'll get a test release built this morning, probably with the AV8 test code.  If DCS bios you have is working I wouldn't worry about touching it.  I don't have any experience with Python before this, but I'm getting it figured out.

1 hour ago, Lasko said:

The only mod I have is F18, but AV8 looks simple enough.  Is that the odu("2") in between enter lat and enter lon?

For North:
            ufc("2")

For South:
            ufc("8")

enter_number(lat_str)

-> odu("2")

For East:
            ufc("6")
For West:
            ufc("4")

enter_number(lon_str)

odu("2")

yep that is the one.  do not need to press it anymore before entering East/West coord.  It switches automatically

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

18 hours ago, Lasko said:

There is a test release available now v1.0.1b1:

https://github.com/atcz/DCSWaypointEditor/releases

I still want to do some more with it like straighten out the F18 MSN routines, but the other bugs were annoying and easy to fix.

Hi Lasko.  Thks for that.  

For the AV8B we missed something.  past the 1st wpt the N coord is not entered on other waypoint...i.e it types but is not in the right input config on the ODU... Think same ODU(2) issue... once the E/W coords are entered it switches automatically back to N/S so no need for ODU (2) there either 

Edited by Brainfreeze

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working with a test version that has a "Save As" button, and fixed a crash when deleting a profile.  I've also gone through the cauc.json file and updated the airports with the runway lat/lon/elev.  I will get something out in a few days after I have a chance to test it out.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lasko said:

I'm working with a test version that has a "Save As" button, and fixed a crash when deleting a profile.  I've also gone through the cauc.json file and updated the airports with the runway lat/lon/elev.  I will get something out in a few days after I have a chance to test it out.  

Outstanding!

I was able to use it a bit yesterday and it seems fine so far.  A new beta3 release is available now:

I'm still looking at the F-18 mission loading but haven't figured out what is wrong with it.  Sometimes it loads the correct stations, other time not.  It also keeps switching to TOO mode after loading the coordinates, so something is wrong there.  It will take some more time to look further into those issues.

17 hours ago, Lasko said:

I was able to use it a bit yesterday and it seems fine so far.  A new beta3 release is available now:

I'm still looking at the F-18 mission loading but haven't figured out what is wrong with it.  Sometimes it loads the correct stations, other time not.  It also keeps switching to TOO mode after loading the coordinates, so something is wrong there.  It will take some more time to look further into those issues.

TYVM for yr work on this great little utility.

After deleting the profile instead of the waypoint for the idon'tknowhowmanyth time, I posted a minor beta4 update today.  The profile buttons are moved to the Profile menu, and the waypoint action buttons are moved the center right.  I think the layout is more intuitive and less prone to error, let me know what you think.  Also a few typos were fixed in cauc.json, airport waypoints should now all match the center of the runway.

• Like 1

Another minor update added today:

v1.0.1-beta-5

• Added sorting for the profile list.
  • Moved the "Enter into aircraft" button next to the Add/Update/Remove buttons.
  • Removed Qty selection from F18 MSN points, there is no way to know which stations to select.
  • F18 MSN entry now selects PB19 Return when done, was selecting PB6 which incorrectly selects TOO mode.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lasko said:

Another minor update added today:

v1.0.1-beta-5

• Added sorting for the profile list.
  • Moved the "Enter into aircraft" button next to the Add/Update/Remove buttons.
  • Removed Qty selection from F18 MSN points, there is no way to know which stations to select.
  • F18 MSN entry now selects PB19 Return when done, was selecting PB6 which incorrectly selects TOO mode.

Well, while you are fixing things, I believe the Quick Capture hotkey feature does not work.

It's hard to tell what they meant by Capture and Quick Capture.  The terms are used interchangeably in the code, but I fixed it so the Quick Capture hotkey does the same as clicking "Quick Capture."  There is a bug of sorts that if the first thing you do is Ctrl-Shift-T it will ignore it because the window is not initialized until some other action, clicking a button, etc.

There are a couple of other things included that I was testing out.  "No matching pattern" should not happen often, and usually is because OCR completely misses a letter.  The "F10 map not found" problem is either something in the Python Desktopmagic library, or in the way DCS is drawing the screen.  When you get that error, it is usually because the captured image is just a blank map like this:

image.png

v1.0.1-beta-6

• Quick Capture hotkey now works the same as clicking "Quick Capture."
  • Added success and error sound files for capture feedback.
  • Capture status will now show a failure reason:
    • F10 map not found - Captured image did not include coordinates.
    • No matching pattern - Text found but did not match a pattern we are looking for.
  • Removed some unused code related to Tomcat alignment
  • Like 1