DCS Waypoint Editor

grant977

4 hours ago, Lasko said:

It looks like the 77 is arbitrary, a different implementation uses 99.  Are you sure that's the problem?  It might be related to this:

DCS: AV-8B N/A by RAZBAM Simulations

• Fixed: Steerpoint elevation is automatically updated when entering coordinates

Will have to check this one but the fact there is now a default wpt1 and the fact that wpt editor uses 77 when entering waypoint means it will just add the waypoint to any pre-existing waypoints so the arbitrary waypoint 1 will stay there and waypoint editor will create its first waypoint as wpt 2.   That is for sure

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

3 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Will have to check this one but the fact there is now a default wpt1 and the fact that wpt editor uses 77 when entering waypoint means it will just add the waypoint to any pre-existing waypoints so the arbitrary waypoint 1 will stay there and waypoint editor will create its first waypoint as wpt 2.   That is for sure

Ok checked with Razbam.  This one is not creating an issue.  Before, whatever elevation you entered it was still keeping ground level.  Now the elevation you enter is actually used. Waypoint editor was always entering the elevation normally so no change.  Now it will be registered by the aircraft system though.

I also noted on the 51st vfw fork that the default airframe and also button press timings can be put into the 'preference'  or setting menu... can be quite handy that.

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Thanks, good to know.  For now I will leave it as 77.  I added default aircraft type in the AH64D update, and the next version will make sure the correct default is set when selecting a new blank profile.  The next version will also have new waypoint types (HZ CM TG) for AH64 and fixes for F16, I just need to get a sense that what I have put in is correct.  The updated key sequence for F16 is in https://github.com/atcz/DCSWaypointEditor/issues/1

3 hours ago, Lasko said:

Thanks, good to know.  For now I will leave it as 77.  I added default aircraft type in the AH64D update, and the next version will make sure the correct default is set when selecting a new blank profile.  The next version will also have new waypoint types (HZ CM TG) for AH64 and fixes for F16, I just need to get a sense that what I have put in is correct.  The updated key sequence for F16 is in https://github.com/atcz/DCSWaypointEditor/issues/1

Sure.  Hope you get some time eventually to fix this for AV8B as it really breaks the tool for this aircraft now 😞

New version is up with F16 fixes, and new waypoint types for AH64D:

v1.2.0 Beta 3 

• Added waypoint types HZ, CM and TG for AH-64D.
  • Enforced the A-10C waypoint name limit of 12 characters, the name is now truncated.
  • Corrected the key sequences for F-16C
  • Set the current default aircraft after using the Settings window

As far as VR, I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about it is any of the DCSWE threads here or Reddit.  

On 5/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, Brainfreeze said:

Sure.  Hope you get some time eventually to fix this for AV8B as it really breaks the tool for this aircraft now 😞

I'm willing to put in a fix for it, but it's not clear what would be changed at this point.  The way I understand it, waypoints are just added to the end of the existing list, assuming there aren't already more than 77.  Is there something else that needs done now?

6 hours ago, Lasko said:

New version is up with F16 fixes, and new waypoint types for AH64D:

v1.2.0 Beta 3 

• Enforced the A-10C waypoint name limit of 12 characters, the name is now truncated.
  • Corrected the key sequences for F-16C
  • Set the current default aircraft after using the Settings window

As far as VR, I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about it is any of the DCSWE threads here or Reddit.  

I'm willing to put in a fix for it, but it's not clear what would be changed at this point.  The way I understand it, waypoints are just added to the end of the existing list, assuming there aren't already more than 77.  Is there something else that needs done now?

Hi, many thanks. I was more thinking about the map capture feature working in VR. I gave it a really quick try, but it didn't appear to work. Which kind of makes sense as I'm guessing it would need to be able to read the 3d mirror output window.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

The release version v1.2.0 is now available.  DCS Bios published a new release with AH-64D support, and AH-64D support is now complete:

v1.2.0
Feature Changes:

• AH-64D Pilot and CPG support. The first three characters of the waypoint name are entered in the FREE field.
  • DCS BIOS v0.7.45 is required for AH-64D support. An Update button is now available in the Settings window.
  • Added a capture option for the The Way LUA data source. This capture source does not use Tesseract or OCR. If you have previously installed The Way in Export.lua, the "Capture from The Way" button will connect to the data source and capture the coordinates for the current camera view. When on the F10 map, it captures the coordinates of the center of the map. A target dot in the center of the map can be displayed using The Way, or the included Target-jar-with-dependencies.jar which requires Java JRE.
  • Default aircraft type added to the Settings window. This previously was set to "hornet" automatically.

Bug Fixes:

• Corrected the key sequences for F-16C.
  • Added decimal fill for F-16C coordinates, e.g. 04107.500 instead of 04107.5
  • Allow lowercase when entering MGRS coordinates.
  • Retain the "Name" field when updating MGRS coordinates.

47 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

😟 Don't forget these poor AV8B pilots still crying over this mandatory wp1 thingy 😉😁

I honestly don't understand the WP1 issue.  Are you saying WP1 should be deleted before entering more?  I could do that but will need to know the keys to use.  Also how would it know if WP1 exists or not when entering subsequent points?

2 hours ago, Lasko said:

I honestly don't understand the WP1 issue.  Are you saying WP1 should be deleted before entering more?  I could do that but will need to know the keys to use.  Also how would it know if WP1 exists or not when entering subsequent points?

You cannot delete a wp that already exists. You can only edit it.  The issue is wp editor enters the wp number not as 1 then 2 then 3 … but as 77 which creates a new waypoint after the last number that exists already.  Since we now always have wp1 it creates the 1st wp on the list as wp2.  The solution is therefore to enter the wp number and not use 77.   So do loop starting at 1 to the number of waypoints in the profile. 

hope that is clearer. Let me know if not 

3 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

hope that is clearer. Let me know if not 

What is the significance of the first entered point being #2 instead of #1?  Isn't the number of points initially programmed dependent on the mission editor, and how would we know which point number to use?  I'm still not getting it I guess.  Also how would you enter points 1, 2, and 3, and then add points 4, 5 and 6?  Without know the number of points that already exist, it seems like the only reliable thing you can do is add a new point to the end.  Otherwise you have to know in advance if you are adding or editing a particular point.

9 hours ago, Lasko said:

What is the significance of the first entered point being #2 instead of #1?  Isn't the number of points initially programmed dependent on the mission editor, and how would we know which point number to use?  I'm still not getting it I guess.  Also how would you enter points 1, 2, and 3, and then add points 4, 5 and 6?  Without know the number of points that already exist, it seems like the only reliable thing you can do is add a new point to the end.  Otherwise you have to know in advance if you are adding or editing a particular point.

Well either u use the mission editor to create your waypoints for the mission or u use the waypoint editor. We don’t use both.  If we create a flight plan in wp editor it will have all the wp we need for the mission. So any random wp entered before is not wanted.  The random wp1 that is now automatically created (if there are no predefined wps in the mission editor) is always useless so needs to be overwritten. 
We plan our mission data cards (flightplan kneeboard) with all our wps on it. With this rogue wp1 we always end up with a useless wp1 in the aircraft's system and the wp1 as per our mission data card ends up being wp2 in the aircraft system. 

We never use wp editor in flight…if we need to add just 1 wp or modify 1 then we just do it on the aircraft scratchpad…faster and easier. We use wp esitor to enter the full flightplan we need for the mission.  So wp1 in wp editor should always be wp1 in the aircraft system same for wp2, wp3 etc

Edited by Brainfreeze

7 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Well either u use the mission editor to create your waypoints for the mission or u use the waypoint editor. We don’t use both.

I think I follow what you're saying now, but this won't work for everyone.  For example, in multiplayer you are given a pre-configured jet with waypoints 1 through X and anything you want to enter as a user defined point will be X + 1.

46 minutes ago, Lasko said:

I think I follow what you're saying now, but this won't work for everyone.  For example, in multiplayer you are given a pre-configured jet with waypoints 1 through X and anything you want to enter as a user defined point will be X + 1.

Yeah.  I only do MP but we do not have pre-configured aircrafts.  Guess it won't work for everyone unless one gets the option to add or overwrite.  

4 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Yeah.  I only do MP but we do not have pre-configured aircrafts.

Are you positive the WP1 isn't coming from the mission editor? I don't know anything about the Harrier or have it to experiment, but if it is really creating a random WP1 that seems like a bug.

1 hour ago, Lasko said:

Are you positive the WP1 isn't coming from the mission editor? I don't know anything about the Harrier or have it to experiment, but if it is really creating a random WP1 that seems like a bug.

It is not a bug. It is something razbam introduced in the latest update because not having any waypoints was messing up with the INS… so they fixed the INS bug by introducing an anomaly… doh! 🙄. Note that this wp1 (just a few nm north of the aircraft’s position) is only created if no other waypoint has been entered in the mission editor, i.e aircraft spawned with no predefined waypoints. 

Edited by Brainfreeze

• 1 month later...

A new version is now available with a few minor bug fixes.

v1.2.1

• Persian Gulf locations file - Corrected all airport locations, added all elevations.
  • Added a File menu entry to run Target-jar-wtih-dependencies.jar.
  • AH-64D 3-character FREE field will ignore spaces. Al Minhad becomes ALM, Al Dhafra becomes ALD.
  • Name field is not reset to NULL when capturing coordinates.
  • Default aircraft type list uses the aircraft name instead of driver name. For example, F/A-18C instead of hornet.

• 4 weeks later...

A new beta release is available for testing.  This release contains a GUI redesign, and the option of sending aircraft commands through TheWay.lua instead of DCS-BIOS.  This is experimental and currently available for 3 aircraft.  For other aircraft, continue using DCS-BIOS.

v1.3.0-b1 Pre-release

• Redesigned the window layout to reduce size.
  • Grouped the capture buttons together and changed the titles:
    • Capture Coordinates - Single OCR capture from F10 map to the Position frame
    • Capture To Profile - Toggle on OCR capturing to the profile list and Position frame. Remains active until canceled.
    • Capture F10/F11 View - Toggle on non-OCR F10 or F11 view coordinate capture to the profile list and position frame. Remains active until canceled.
    • "Stop capturing" button corresponds to the current capture mode. Previously was always on "Capture from F10 Map."
  • Added a definable hotkey for "Capture F10/F11 View," default is ctrl-shift-u.
  • Added an option to send aircraft commands through TheWay.lua instead of DCS-BIOS. Aircraft commands are implemented for A-10C, AH-64D and F/A-18C. This functionality is currently experimental, and does not work for F/A-18C weapon missions. Entry of waypoints is much faster through this method.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update for v1.2.  I haven't had time to work on the bugs in v1.3 send via LUA, so I rolled all of the other changes in to v1.2.2.

v1.2.2

• Redesigned the window layout to reduce size.
  • Grouped the capture buttons together and changed the titles:
    • Capture Coordinates - Single OCR capture from F10 map to the Position frame
    • Capture To Profile - Toggle on OCR capturing to the profile list and Position frame. Remains active until canceled.
    • Capture F10/F11 View - Toggle on non-OCR F10 or F11 view coordinate capture to the profile list and position frame. Remains active until canceled.
    • "Stop capturing" button corresponds to the current capture mode. Previously was always on "Capture from F10 Map."
  • Added a definable hotkey for "Capture F10/F11 View," default is ctrl-shift-u.
  • Fixed field alignment in the settings window.

10 hours ago, Lasko said:

I don't see anything changed wrt harrier.  Is there something else going on, dcs-bios problem or something else?

Razbam has introduced a bug by fixing another one.  You cannot enter waypoints anymore at the moment (only using TOO).  They will fix next release

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...