F-16 INS problem.

Redpipe01

Hello,

Im currently having a small problem with the INS alignment in the F-16C.

Whenever I do the startup manually and set the INS knob to NORM (and wait 8 mins) then set to NAV, I dont get any steerpoint info or tadpole on the HUD. I also noticed that I am unable to use bombs in CCRP whenever I do the alignment myself. However whenever I use the startup cheat (LWIN + Home) everything works fine.

What am i doing wrong?

You have to do the correct procedure. On the INS DED page type in the latitutde and longitude within 2 minutes after setting the knob to align. E.g N-4-2-3-6-0-0-ENTR, E-0-4-1-2-4-9-9-ENTR.

They have to be accurate to your current position.

I have never done this. Is this new with this patch?

I have never done this. Is this new with this patch?
It was introduced in the previous patch, I think. Also, you don't have to necessarily type them, just make sure they are correct and if so, just press enter.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It was introduced in the previous patch, I think. Also, you don't have to necessarily type them, just make sure they are correct and if so, just press enter.

Correct you don’t have to type them in, if they are correct you can just confirm them.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have figured it out!

I did as Frederf said and also doublechecked that the coordinates on the DED matched the coordinate of the aircraft on the map: lat, long, decimal mins. However the problem resided, so I proceeded to do a fresh reinstall of DCS and that seems to have fixed the problem for me.

Are you arming at the same time? I read in a post that advised to arm before or after INS alignment, not during. I don't know if that is accurate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Are you arming at the same time? I read in a post that advised to arm before or after INS alignment, not during. I don't know if that is accurate.

Yes, this is accurate. Loading weapons onto an aircraft will move it, and you absolutely don't want to move it while doing an alignment. Rearm before or after aligning and not during.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have figured it out!

I did as Frederf said and also doublechecked that the coordinates on the DED matched the coordinate of the aircraft on the map: lat, long, decimal mins. However the problem resided, so I proceeded to do a fresh reinstall of DCS and that seems to have fixed the problem for me.

You said you double checked the coordinates but did you confirm them using the Enter button on the ICP? You need to dobber down through each line and confirm Lat, Long and Alt using the ENTR button to confirm each of them. This must be done within the first few mins of a the alignment. I do it as soon as I flick the switch to Norm Align.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yes, this is accurate. Loading weapons onto an aircraft will move it, and you absolutely don't want to move it while doing an alignment. Rearm before or after aligning and not during.

You said you double checked the coordinates but did you confirm them using the Enter button on the ICP? You need to dobber down through each line and confirm Lat, Long and Alt using the ENTR button to confirm each of them. This must be done within the first few mins of a the alignment. I do it as soon as I flick the switch to Norm Align.

Thats it! Thats all I needed to do, confirm all 3 lines using the Enter button on the ICP. Thanks alot for the help!

Thats it! Thats all I needed to do, confirm all 3 lines using the Enter button on the ICP. Thanks alot for the help!

No problemo! :thumbup:

Proud owner of:

• 2 weeks later...

just piggybacking on this if I may, and not wanting to start a new thread. With some of the new patches, it looks like you can now do the start up procedure/INS alignment with INS in stored heading instead of "norm." my question is this:

does the f-16 always start with your proper current coordinates programmed in at the DED? every time I've created a mission and the starting status was 'cold and dark' the correct coordinates were already entered as I was going through the start up procedure. This is NOT a complaint mind you, (more of a compliment to ED) as it helps the whole start up procedure go a bit faster. I was just curious if anyone's seen an instance where they've gone to start up their craft and it didn't have (or they were inaccurate) coordinates loaded in already?

Edited by breakneckPace

just piggybacking on this if I may, and not wanting to start a new thread. With some of the new patches, it looks like you can now do the start up procedure/INS alignment with INS in stored heading instead of "norm." my question is this:

does the f-16 always start with your proper current coordinates programmed in at the DED? every time I've created a mission and the starting status was 'cold and dark' the correct coordinates were already entered as I was going through the start up procedure. This is NOT a complaint mind you, (more of a compliment to ED) as it helps the whole start up procedure go a bit faster. I was just curious if anyone's seen an instance where they've gone to start up their craft and it didn't have (or they were inaccurate) coordinates loaded in already?

Stored heading is always possible. Its not like some other modules (AV8B / F-14 etc) which require certain special or missions setup, it just works.

I'd like to see some realistic downsides of using the stored heading alignment if there are any. But currently I don't think there are any downsides to using stored heading alignment.

Proud owner of:

AFAIK in real life the pilot did the INS before and stored it. Lets just pretend we did it before flight. Its good option from ED. for those who wants to do the normal INS then do the normal INS.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

AFAIK in real life the pilot did the INS before and stored it. Lets just pretend we did it before flight. Its good option from ED. for those who wants to do the normal INS then do the normal INS.

I like this way of thinking. Assuming I successfully landed (those heavy fog landings are still a bit tricky) I'll just take it as me, as a pilot, properly stored my headings before shut down! :thumbup:

OR my ground crew was awesome and set it up for me before climbing aboard. haha

You need to dobber down through each line and confirm Lat, Long and Alt using the ENTR button to confirm each of them. This must be done within the first few mins of a the alignment. I do it as soon as I flick the switch to Norm Align.

You don't need to confirm Altitude, only LAT/LONG. The third step is excessive.

It needs to be done in the first two minutes of normal alignment. It is not required with the Stored INS option.

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.