Advanced Haze and Water Artifacting

Guest ruggbutt

Guest ruggbutt

I have a 6800GT and an AMD64 3200. Ever since I bought the nVidia card I've gotten strange artifacting around the water edges, I imagine it's the same kind of phenomina that we see w/the striations in the mountains w/advanced haze on. Will you guys be fixing this issue w/1.1? I've used all the drivers I could get my hands on, nothing has stopped this, although the shimmering textures next to runways etc. aren't there any more w/the latest drivers. I downsized the pics a bit but you can still see around the shoreline what I'm talking about. Here's a couple of screens:

http://members.cox.net/ruggbutt/ScreenShot_004.jpg

http://members.cox.net/ruggbutt/ScreenShot_006.jpg

http://members.cox.net/ruggbutt/ScreenShot_007.jpg

Rugg:

Isn't that supposed to be there????

I have the same effects on my system as well....

I might be wrong but I think this is really the waves breaking against the shore line .....

This seems to be a realistic rendering as far as I can tell......

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Re: Advanced Haze and Water Artifacting

RuggButt,

Yes, I can see the same white-cap effect with my 9800XT and I believe its supposed to look that way. The degree to which it is noticed depends on my resolution, haze, distance, and aa settings. maybe you could crop just that part of the image and post it larger so I can get a closer look?

I noticed you mentioned the 6800GT/A64 and I couldn't resist. I'm looking at purchasing a 3500+/NForce4 SLI/Single 6800GT upgrade in the near future for Lomac and a bunch of other hungry games. How well does Lomac play on your system (a10 low fly, resolution, detail)? I'm Currently running P4 2.8GHz/1GB dual PC3200/875p/9800XT/Audigy2ZS and plan to migrate the rest of my components to the new CPU/MB/VID combo.

Thanks,

spearsd

I have a 6800GT and an AMD64 3200. Ever since I bought the nVidia card I've gotten strange artifacting around the water edges, I imagine it's the same kind of phenomina that we see w/the striations in the mountains w/advanced haze on. Will you guys be fixing this issue w/1.1? I've used all the drivers I could get my hands on, nothing has stopped this, although the shimmering textures next to runways etc. aren't there any more w/the latest drivers. I downsized the pics a bit but you can still see around the shoreline what I'm talking about. Here's a couple of screens:

<pictures removed>

Re: Advanced Haze and Water Artifacting

I have a 6800GT and an AMD64 3200. Ever since I bought the nVidia card I've gotten strange artifacting around the water edges, I imagine it's the same kind of phenomina that we see w/the striations in the mountains w/advanced haze on. Will you guys be fixing this issue w/1.1? I've used all the drivers I could get my hands on, nothing has stopped this, although the shimmering textures next to runways etc. aren't there any more w/the latest drivers. I downsized the pics a bit but you can still see around the shoreline what I'm talking about.

I had same thing happen. Just do a clean install of Lock On and it fixed it.

XP Home Edition SP2

AMD 64 3400+ Skt 754

Asus K8V SE Deluxe (800 FSB)

Corsair 1.5 Gig PC3200

Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

PNY GF 6800GT 256MB (67.02 FW)

Res (1280x1024 32Bit) (120 Hertz)

Mitsubishi 930SB 19" CTR

Satiek X36

Trackir 2

Loman 2.1

FSAutoStart

Guest ruggbutt

Look again guys. You can see blue (cyan) striations along the shorlines. It's not the waves breaking, it's blue that is about the same color as the header title that says LockOn Forum Index.

The first pic is the best representation of it. I'll take some zoomed in shots.

Look again guys. You can see blue (cyan) striations along the shorlines. It's not the waves breaking, it's blue that is about the same color as the header title that says LockOn Forum Index.

I see it and have the same problem with mine. The waves stop moving on the shore line and the lakes look like they have a fat line painted around them. I agree its a bug of some sort. But I do know if u do a clean install it gose away till Lock On gets curupted some how. I hope they fix it in the new release.

Guest ruggbutt

I uninstalled, defraged, rebooted. Installed, ran the game, patched from 1.0 to 1.02, defraged and rebooted. Same problems. Here are better screens. This happens w/all nVidia drivers on my 6800GT (not o/c'd)). I'm sure these have to do w/the screendoor effect we're seeing in the distance in the mountains. Probably the same kind of shader.

http://members.cox.net/ruggbutt/ScreenShot_002.jpg

http://members.cox.net/ruggbutt/ScreenShot_003.jpg

its not the water breaking, it goes too far in for that. you can see in the last shot that it passes the beach and goes pretty far into the grass. I don't have that problem on my 6600GT but I do have the 'screen door' mountains.

Have you tried the LOD clamp in the 67.02 drivers?

Guest ruggbutt

Am I the only one seeing the horizontal blue lines in the breaking water areas? It looks horrible from a distance too, instead of seeing the shoreline I see bright blue.

Guest ruggbutt

Those are better pix than mine, but that's exactly what I'm getting too. I didn't have this problem w/my 9800XT and 4.9 drivers, but some other ATI people are reporting the same problems. IIRC it has something to do w/a shader that is too low of a res, it was compared to looking thru the screen of a screendoor w/your face really close to the screen.

I have a Radeon 8500 and see a very similar effect. On my ATI, coastlines often appear as whitish outlines that look too bright. But the weirdest effect is: I can even see them THROUGH MOUNTAINS!! When flying through hills close to coast I can often see the coastline (just the bright outline) even though it should be masked by the hill. I can't remember seeing it lately, so it's probably driver-dependent.

I looked at your pic's and I've seen this problem on my system and still have it time to time and I don't have the cure. Matter of fact I just had it yesterday and restarted PC and it went away. I have other display problems like disapering cockpit or plane all together. Sometimes just a skyblue screen or even total lockup. I just restart or reboot and it gose away for awhile. It happens in any mission.

Im looking for a answer too they had a thread on the UBI fourm with same problem and no answers either. Till then I grin and bear it, then I clean install again. I clean it all the way to the register before reloading. :? I've tried all of the Force Ware Drives even the Betas with no change.

XP Home Edition SP2

AMD 64 3400+ Skt 754

Asus K8V SE Deluxe (800 FSB)

Corsair 1.5 Gig PC3200

Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

PNY GF 6800GT 256MB (67.02 FW)

Res (1280x1024 32Bit) (120 Hertz)

Mitsubishi 930SB 19" CTR

Satiek X36

Trackir 2

Loman 2.1

FSAutoStart

RuggButt,

I see what you're referring to now... sort of a transparent blue combing effect in the horizontal? Yes, that is abnormal... do not see that on my 9600XT, 9800XT, or GF3 Ti500. Very peculiar.

-spearsd

Am I the only one seeing the horizontal blue lines in the breaking water areas? It looks horrible from a distance too, instead of seeing the shoreline I see bright blue.