COMM 2 RADIO mislabled as ARC-222

JAG28

The COMM 2 radio is mislabeled in the ME as well as in the Comm menu as an ARC-222. The Blk 50 F-16 Circa 2007 as flown by the United States Air Force contains an ARC-210 UHF/VHF radio just like the two that the F/A-18C Hornet has. The ARC-222 is VHF capable only. This makes this particular portion of the module unrealistic as it hinders virtual pilots from utilizing multiple UHF frequencies. Also, I am aware that the throttle grip says UHF and VHF. This is due to the fact that the C" models used to contain an ARC-186 VHF radio. This was replaced by the ARC-210.

My source comes from my near decade long experience on this airframe as an Avionics Technician. I have included snip-its of my findings. If you need some documentation to back up my claims, I will happily upload my credentials and certifications.

1196716752_ARC-222snipckcpit.thumb.JPG.bc3212103023c71177993b3820a2f858.JPG

282031516_ARC-222snip.thumb.JPG.3f471e242f5b65e3c844e175d3cdcf76.JPG

• Like 2

Ooh great to have somebody here who knows what they are talking about.

If that’s the way it was, then that’s the way it should be imho.

Note, we have a forum rule here about not posting any documents relating to aircraft and systems newer than 1980. But if you have anything you feel would be useful to prove your point you can PM the moderators (Nineline or BIGNEWY) privately and share it with them outside of a public environment.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Is this why I can never seem to get the second frequency to work on the F16? Have never been able to contact anything (tanker, tower, other flights) on comm 2 - only on comm 1.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

The COMM 2 radio is mislabeled in the ME as well as in the Comm menu as an ARC-222. The Blk 50 F-16 Circa 2007 as flown by the United States Air Force contains an ARC-210 UHF/VHF radio just like the two that the F/A-18C Hornet has. The ARC-222 is VHF capable only. This makes this particular portion of the module unrealistic as it hinders virtual pilots from utilizing multiple UHF frequencies. Also, I am aware that the throttle grip says UHF and VHF. This is due to the fact that the C" models used to contain an ARC-186 VHF radio. This was replaced by the ARC-210.

My source comes from my near decade long experience on this airframe as an Avionics Technician. I have included snip-its of my findings. If you need some documentation to back up my claims, I will happily upload my credentials and certifications.

OK this is strange to me as I was on the 16 in the USAF till 2006 (also as avionics) on block 40s and the UHF/VHF radio had been the same setup for a long time and I hadn't heard of any talk of them changing out the VHF radio for one capable of both. It also seems odd that the USAF would have done this mod only to block 50+ and not to the older birds. Still I was off the 16 at the very beginning of 2006 so that is still the better part of two years that this could have happened without me knowing anything about it.

Is this why I can never seem to get the second frequency to work on the F16? Have never been able to contact anything (tanker, tower, other flights) on comm 2 - only on comm 1.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Find the keybind for "VHF PTT". That did the trick for me

-Alex

i9-12900K | RTX3080 | 32GB DDR4 | Water Cooled | Logitech X56 | TrackIR5 | 34" MSI Curved Widescreen 3440x1440

Find the keybind for "VHF PTT". That did the trick for me

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life saver you are sir/ma'am.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 1:51 AM, Stubbies2003 said:

OK this is strange to me as I was on the 16 in the USAF till 2006 (also as avionics) on block 40s and the UHF/VHF radio had been the same setup for a long time and I hadn't heard of any talk of them changing out the VHF radio for one capable of both. It also seems odd that the USAF would have done this mod only to block 50+ and not to the older birds. Still I was off the 16 at the very beginning of 2006 so that is still the better part of two years that this could have happened without me knowing anything about it.

Were you around when they made the jets capable of SATCOM? The ARC-186 (VHF) has long been replaced with the ARC-210(UHF/VHF). The UHF only capable ARC-164 is still there though. 

They don't seem to care too much about this. I post comment on every F-16 post asking about it and I guess they got fed up with me asking because I can't even like the Eagle Dynamics page anymore.

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, JAG28 said:

Were you around when they made the jets capable of SATCOM? The ARC-186 (VHF) has long been replaced with the ARC-210(UHF/VHF). The UHF only capable ARC-164 is still there though. 

They don't seem to care too much about this. I post comment on every F-16 post asking about it and I guess they got fed up with me asking because I can't even like the Eagle Dynamics page anymore.

Hi 

you can see it is marked investigating here on the forum, spamming viper post's on facebook isn't going to make things go faster. 

We need to find the information and check it before making any potential change. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi 

you can see it is marked investigating here on the forum, spamming viper post's on facebook isn't going to make things go faster. 

We need to find the information and check it before making any potential change. 

thanks

Understandable. However, I did state that I can provide said information as well as my credentials to back-up my claims.

7 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi 

thanks

Understandable. However, I did state that I can provide said information as well as my credentials to back-up my claims. Which should help make things go faster. 

• Wags changed the title to [CORRECT AS IS FOR US BLOCK 50 MID-2000S] COMM 2 RADIO mislabled as ARC-222
  • ED Team

The team have spoken with two active duty Block 50 pilots and both confirmed that ARC-210 is correct for mid-2000.

We will take a look at the label thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Wags changed the title to [INVESTIGATING] COMM 2 RADIO mislabled as ARC-222

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

The team have spoken with two active duty Block 50 pilots and both confirmed that ARC-210 is correct for mid-2000.

That is correct yes. The Comm 2 radio IS the ARC-210. Not the ARC-222, which is why I made this post in the first place. Because it is not correct.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to [REPORTED] COMM 2 RADIO mislabled as ARC-222
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 11 months later...

Was wondering if the ARC-210 is still coming. Is mentioned in a previous bugreport as ARC-222 incorrect and should be ARC-210 with the OP giving enough info on the right radio, but can not find it on a roadmap or payload / systems page. Thanks!

• Wags changed the title to COMM 2 RADIO mislabled as ARC-222
  • Wags unlocked this topic
  • ED Team

Hi all, 

I want to gather any evidence I can for this report, please PM me with any information you have to support the claims of the radio for a 2007 or earlier Viper. 

Thanks

20 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

I want to gather any evidence I can for this report, please PM me with any information you have to support the claims of the radio for a 2007 or earlier Viper. 

Thanks

Here is all the proof that ED would need to add the radio, we have 2 articles, as well as a unclassified release stating the upgrading to ARC-210 in FY08 (which starts in september the year prior, so in our case September 2007)
https://www.acc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/202432/4th-fs-to-deploy-with-new-combat-capabilities/

https://www.hill.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/398017/f-16-upgrade-expands-radio-capability/

Screenshot_20211128-130613_Acrobat_for_S

1. CENTCOM urgent operational need for multiband radio's, ARC-210 in FY06, where they started the installation on block40/50 F16's. And notified of the intent start procurement for the ARC210's in BL30's, during FY07, as a plus-up to the block 40/50 radio upgrade program, dated 09-05-2007

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

We are still looking for actual evidence of the ARC-210 being used in 2007 on a blk50 viper, your above evidence shows it was requested for modification in 2007 which is a step in the right direction for sure. If anyone has any other evidence please feel free to PM me I can add it to my report.

thanks