Fan Opinions Sought

I'm rebuilding my rig, including a new mobo and CPU as per my SIG.

Just connecting up the fans and thinking about switching things around.

Its an ATX rig, in a large case, a CoolerMaster HAF 922.

I have a 20cm fan in the lower front drawing air in. I have two 12cm fans at the top expelling, and a single 12cm at the rear also expelling.

I have a tower cooler for the CPU, similar to the old arctic freezer pro from athlon64 days. I think it's an Arctic Freezer 7.

Anyway, the fan on the cooler faces upwards towards the two top expulsion fans.

I have some snaps, but without my PC can't upload them yet, so I hope my description is good enough.

I'm considering turning the rear fan around and drawing air in, instead of out. That fan is at the same height, but to the side of my CPU cooler.

So whaddya think?

This set up served me very well for years with my i5 2500k at 4.3GHz, but since switching to Haswell, my over clocks have not been that impressive. Though I read today that Has well runs much hotter than expected anyway.

So far the BIOS auto overclocker has given me 4.6 GHz with the 4770k, but I'm concerned that I'll have some issues when the weather turns warmer (currently mid teens in my PC room). I'd like to get it running cooler anyway, with the hardware I currently have. Might splash on a better one later in the year.

PS - forgot, I also have a 20cm fan on the side of the case, above the mobo, expelling. The twovfans at the top are high-volume fans on temperature sensors, which I have sited under the motherboard near the CPU and RAM.

Edited by Brixmis
Due to damn tablet autocorrecter!

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

OK, I've got enough set up to upload the photo's now (reduced size). I have actually decided to turn that top rear fan around already. So far temps are good, but nowhere near finished setting up, yet, so not relevant now.

IMG-0231.jpg

The top and rear fans, along with the CPU cooler:

IMG-0234.jpg

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Looking at your current setup in that old classic 2000's case when manufacturers were more concerned with airflow and functionality and not mainly aesthetics, it looks like you currently have a very negative pressure airflow heavy setup. What I mean by this is that your PC case is sucking more air out of the case from inside while you only have the single 200mm fan at the front bottom sucking air in. This will mean more dust will enter your case from any possible crevice and crack that it can find. Normally you would look for a positive airflow setup where you have more intake fans sucking air in from outside while having less outlet fans exhausting the hot air out of the case.

What I would firstly do is to take one of the two 120mm fans that are currently at the top and place it at the bottom on the middle of the floor next to the PSU sucking air in and upwards. The top rear case fan that you have reversed to bring air in, I would swap that back to exhaust air out of the case. Leave the 200mm intake fan at the front and if possible remove the hard drive care behind the front 200mm fan to give it a more cleaner flow of air to your graphics card.

Oh just noticed the P.S. comment. That 200mm fan on the side of your case sucking air out. I would reverse this to bring air into the case again to assist cooling the GPU and other internal comps.

Another option is that you could remove both of the top 120mm fans and instead swap these for the 200mm fan you have currently on the case side window/grill. So that would leave you with a 200mm fan at the top and a 120mm at the top rear both exhausting hot air out of the case. And the 2 x 120mm fans you could mount either both on the side window as intakes or mount one there as an intake and the other on the middle floor position also as an intake.

Have a look at

(5min 41seconds in) for intake and exhaust setup in this case.

I have a tower cooler for the CPU, similar to the old arctic freezer pro from athlon64 days. I think it's an Arctic Freezer 7.

Unrelated that CPU cooler was so cheap yet such good value and bang for buck as far as cooling went. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it used the horrible plastic push pin retention mechanism of Intel stock coolers which I just hated on my old Core 2 Duo E6600.
Edited by Konovalov

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Turn the two top fans around so they blow downward to cool your RAM and VRM section.

The over pressured air then can escape through vents and holes as well as your single remaining

expelling fan on the rear.

* Is it possible to turn the CPU cooler so the air gets shuffled to the rear fan instead of upward ?

That would greatly improve the layout and the "turn the top fans around" idea wouldnt fight the CPU cooler setup.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the opinions, guys, and your detailed explanation, Konovalov.

I have already tried several different ways and also all of the fans have been tried pushing air both ways.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to put the 200mm fan at the top - it isn't wide enough. I also didn't put one at the bottom sucking air in, because that is where the majority of dust is - and this house is very, very dusty. I have instead just put a dust filter there. All of the inward fans have dust filters fitted (but of course there are many leaks all around the case).

I have turned the rear fan around so that it is blowing air directly onto the CPU tower and that whole area - there is nothing between the fan and that motherboard surface with the VRMs and other power gubbins. After doing this, and closing up the case, I have fans at the front and back blowing air in and fans at the top and side blowing it out. Unfortunately, the side 200mm fan is also pretty slow and the volume of air it shifts is very low.

Since doing that, the temperatures (all of them in case) have dropped about 3°. So now they are all comfortably under 30°C.

I would dearly love to have a more modern case, but I've spent so much on this PC over the last couple of years (two VGA upgrades, two CPU upgrades, RAM upgrade, three motherboards - two developed issues, the Virpil HOTAS then Index and Quest as well - then DCS modules on top! :) ), I really have to watch every penny now.

I'll try the things you've suggested over the coming weeks and see how it affects the temperatures. Hopefully, I can move to water cooling at some stage - but that won't be for a while, yet - probably next year. The case is made for it (with an external radiator).

Cheers.

Kneeboard Guides

Sorry to 'reverse" your fun. But, 15 years ago, i remember that i have done all of those tests. After 4 demolished case, suspended fan by elastic, the dremel, the metal scissors, the drill, a collection of fan... To the conclusion of this "best mod of all time" for better air cooling is...

4251824_R_Z001A_UC17645637?w=750&h=440&qlt=70

Seriously.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Ah, but mine is better - I have this one behind it:

https://www.oldrids.co.uk/igenix-df1655-16-inch-pedestal-fan-white/p29627

Keeps my VR lenses clear of condensation, too.

:D

oh - talkin of suspending fan, I had that,too - crazy things we try! I'm sure I took a couple of photo's, have to see if I can find them.

Kneeboard Guides

That was just on the table whilst building the PC and routing the cables. It's difficult to connect some of the SSD without removing the right panel (or fitting the CPU power).

Kneeboard Guides

not sure what cooler you have in there, but it seems to be aligned to be drawing hot air from your GPU into your CPU ... that feels sub-optimal ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Use 'dry' Swiffer sheets and cover all the intake fans/areas on the case exterior. Use scotch tape and cut the sheets to fit. This will greatly reduce incoming dust.

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

Some Nylons from your better half are also a perfect dustfilter...and they come with amazing logos :D

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

not sure what cooler you have in there, but it seems to be aligned to be drawing hot air from your GPU into your CPU ... that feels sub-optimal ?

I noticed that too. I personally would turn the CPU cooler anti clockwise 90 degrees so the fan is facing the front.

Edit, Just noticed you already mentioned this Bitmaster

Edited by Bearskin

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

Like I said before - it's only possible to fit it pointing down or pointing up, due to the mounting system. In the past I have always had it facing the rear fan, so that the heat from the CPU cooler gets expelled out the back of the case, but with this system it just wasn't possible to do that due to the mounting.

Kneeboard Guides

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been running just fine - but I didn't run it overclocked as yet (only for testing).

I had a look at other air cooling options, but in the end, they are all pretty much the same thing, just wrapped differently. the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro that I am using has always been popular and had good reviews, so i see no advantage in changing it. I will be taking it off again and seeing if I can get it rotated 45° - I know that's ideal, but as i said before, the fitting base won't go that way round on this board.

I've just ordered some new, quality TIM to use - the stuff I am using atm is industry stuff I got cheap a few years back. Bought a couple of 30g tubes and still haven't even opened the second one, despite how much I build and change hardware in my PCs (I have a small collection of 'retro' PCs and loads of old parts and accessories, which is why I bought the OEM tubes).

Anyway, I'll see how it goes and report back on the temps and performance. Been thinking a lot about the 'draw the air out' thing you mentioned, Konovalov. I'll investigate that further. I'm convinced I can get this working much better, so I can get the clocks up to where I like them.

I'm still using my Index at 120Hz and 112% resolution at XMP settings with no problems, though. That's 3.9GHz for the cpu, which is the lowest speed I've used since the E6850 was 'modern'!

Kneeboard Guides

Good luck Brixmis. I loved the Artic Freezer Pro 7 back in the day with my Core 2 Duo E6600 where I managed to overclock from stock 2.4 to 3.2Ghz. That little cooler cost me I think around 12-15 quid. I did have to do some lapping of my CPU IHS and the cooler base so they were both flat and had better contact.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm