Rudders

Can anyone say what difference it make's in having foot controlled rudders as to using the twist on the joystick, as far as game emersion in BS,I am thinking of investing in foot rudders and I am curious to know the "overall difference",

also has ED thought about getting discount ( for say saitek rudder's) for customers that buy BS? I believe It might be a neat little package ie, Buy BS for £xxxx and get xxx% discount on a set of rudders.:music_whistling:

PS If you dont ask you won't get;)

You can be much more precise with foot rudder control as you basically get a higher "resolution" of control because the foot rudder control needs larger movments compared to a twist stick.

Also there's one thing less to do with your hands, which is welcome as there are loads of buttons and stuff to worry about anyway.

I want a HOTAS and Rudders! :cry:

Good idea about the discount as rudder pedals is essential to helo sims, much more so than when flying fixed wing aircraft.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Can anyone say what difference it make's in having foot controlled rudders as to using the twist on the joystick, as far as game emersion in BS,I am thinking of investing in foot rudders and I am curious to know the "overall difference",

also has ED thought about getting discount ( for say saitek rudder's) for customers that buy BS? I believe It might be a neat little package ie, Buy BS for £xxxx and get xxx% discount on a set of rudders.:music_whistling:

Get ready for intesive pedal input in BS. So I suggest you to do that investment if wanna feel better flying the Ka-50. I don't have such thing myself and I'm using the twist of my X52 which is not even close to rudder pedals.

PS If you dont ask you won't get;)

Absolutely no doubt about that ;)

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Last sunday I had my first (I'm optimistic more will follow...) helicopter lesson. I allways fly with a twist rudder, but the pedals in the real thing worked opposite to what I do with my joystick :huh:. So, if you ever want to try the real thing, rudders are mandatory....

(I'm still in doubt. Buying a good joystick with ruddercontrol :joystick: or spending that money on another flight in real life :punk:)

So a resounding YES to rudders:thumbup:

Dear santa

i know i said i wanted sharon stone for xmas but can i chnge that for a set of rudders

and a book called"Black shark startup for dummies"

lots of lurv

flask

ps i will leave xtra milk andcookies for you and the raindeer;)

What he said...

Hello Flask, i strongly recommend the CH Rudder Pedals.

Couldn't agree more.

CH pedals = super smooth, programmable, but stirrups a bit close together.

Saitek = stirrups good distance apart, programmable, not smooth getting the pedal of its "home" position.

My preference is CH over Saitek pedals because I'd rather have the smoothness and finess of control over comfort (and you only really notice the CH pedals after 1.5-2 hours flying).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

Just got petals. It's difficult to get used to in lockon, but much more intuitive when flying a chopper in FSX. Also, in the redbull race, the knife edge is easier because there is a lot less to do with your hands. BS should be awesome with them.

I Think Petals are a good idea. Of course, the entire set up is nice: pedals, HOTAS, TrackIR. Your entire body is now part of the game. :)

As fro CH Vs Saitek, I don't have any complaints of my Saitek pedals as of yet.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

What he said...

Couldn't agree more.

CH pedals = super smooth, programmable, but stirrups a bit close together.

Saitek = stirrups good distance apart, programmable, not smooth getting the pedal of its "home" position.

My preference is CH over Saitek pedals because I'd rather have the smoothness and finess of control over comfort (and you only really notice the CH pedals after 1.5-2 hours flying).

"I knew it"now I know, both my instructors coming clean on how they are rock steady in fingertip, and I look like I am controlling my T with a greased banna;)

Gentlemen your secret is safe (for a price):music_whistling:

Hi all. I believe that when flying helicopters, a pedals (there are no any "rudders" on helos:)) is a must! Coordination of hands, legs and brain is what is helicopter flying about. If I want sim as real as possible, I should aim to use controls as close to real as possible. So my recommendation is: Definitely get pedals, you will not regret.:thumbup:

Well, it enhances the immersion but it will not get easier because now you have to coordinate your leg, right- and left arm- at the same time. I used to fly with the x52 twist grip setup as rudder, but then i built my own anti torque pedals and now i'm getting used it. Definately more fun and immersion, but i wouldn't say it is easier.

Also the Ka-50 requires (or should) a lot less pedal input due to the coaxial rotor than a convential helo. I think if you don't have a track ir device get it first.

I have no problem with smoothness with my siatex pro rudders.

To be honest, when i was researching them, some distributors said they were better than CH.

I don't rightly know. I don't own CH. But if they are closer together than saitek, they would piss me off.

Saitek work great and i can't fault them, and the width is pretty much similar to the plane i fly RL

Also with this Track IR thing, if you look left wouldn't you actual head be looking away from the screen?

Same question i asked before i got it :)

Essentially, your head's movement is enhanced in game. You only have to move you head a few degrees and the "In-game head" moves all the way to your right or whatever. Of course, this is all customizable and programmable.

Once you get TIR, you won't imagine flying with out it, it's that wonderful. It's completely natural, once you get past the first week of getting used to it.

If you had to make a priority list, it's as follows:

1. HOTAS

2. Track IR

3. Pedals

Does that help?

EDIT: for a less expensive alternative to track IR, you could look into this "freetrack" software that uses a web cam. I don't know much about it, but if you don't have the money then this might be something to consider.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

For me TrackIr is a must have, and IMHO it's more valuable for a flight simmer than a "proffesional" rudder. So if you don't have trackIr (or a free alternative FreeTrack) then go for it.

If you can't afford Saitek or CH rudder, you can use pedals from driving wheel. It's not the same as real rudder but very cheap (I've bought second hand Saitek R220 for less than 20$), and it is still much better than twist in a joystick.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

If you can't afford Saitek or CH rudder, you can use pedals from driving wheel. It's not the same as real rudder but very cheap (I've bought second hand Saitek R220 for less than 20$), and it is still much better than twist in a joystick.

I did that for a week, then I got pedals. It was a nice alternative though. Problem is that they are close together, you can press both at the same time and there are no toe brakes.

unfortunately not all driving Wheel Pedals work good for flying.

Used the Pedals from my old Momo Racing wheel for some time and it worked not bad in LOFC, but since I've upgraded to a Logitech G25 this does not work properly.

The brake Pedal needs much more force to Input than the right Pedal and that is not comfortable for flying:)

I'll get my Hand on some Rudder Pedals for BS for sure CH or Saitek, don't know yet.

For TrackIR i have to totaly agree with all other Users that it's a must have.

My first was TrackIR2 and then upgraded to TIR4,

Can't do without it anymore.

I use it also for Armed Assault, rFactor and GTR2 and its great!

lG

Rudders/Pedals/shmedals:music_whistling:

whats interesting is rudder pedals(I will admit thats what I meant)is a an advantage, also Track IR ( which I have ) is a must for full emersion.

Thank you everyone who replied, and because of that, I am going to get me a set.

God bless the little sock's of Lomac,FC,track ir,saitek,CH,(yes ED as well)and all the rest who make me/us happy.:pilotfly:

i am somewhat surprised by the amount of pilots among us that either dont have pedals or use stick or even x45 rocker switch (bgp) :)

yaw control on the stick just complicates the movement of other axis, digital input is way to notchy, your feet are there bored looking for something to do, for gods sake get them a set of pedals :)

i currently use my racing pedals, so no toe brake and they don't push each other the opposite direction but i find it works well enough.

never have understood why those ch pedals are so dam close together, they could do with being twice the width.

haven't seem the saitek pedals, edit now i have :), they look hideous, and they have some new gear, yokes and quadrants and the x52 pro looks cool.

unless the ch pedals are easily modded, i will be making some custom ones with the distance between feet of around 300-400mm.

i'd suggest first get a hotas, then pedals, the trackir. (save the best for last)

xmas is coming kids, so drop some hints to your oldies or other half for us married folks, or simply just blow the xmas bonus on yourself this year, i am :D, some of it anyway.