Question on fighters

Badger1815

F-14 will be a very large difference in experience to the F-18 and F-16. It has no fly by wire, and it has a terrible HUD. The F-14 isn't "complete" either, but yes it's probably more complete than the F-16, but it is also a simpler aircraft. The community loves to poop on ED and high five heatblur's F-14, but I think the F-18 is far better than the F-14.

Regardless of the ED vs HB stuff, you need to consider more things than which one is more feature complete. The F-16 has no carrier operations, is currently fairly incomplete, but behaves very similarly to the F-18, and probably has a phenomenal flight model. The F-14 is going to be a shock if you haven't flown a helo or a warbird, and the carrier landing isn't as accurate as the hornet. But the F-14 is a powerful air to air platform.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I love flying the Hornet, but I'd like to learn a new plane as well.

As this is quite an invenstment (time-wise), i'd rather study a more stable sim, instead of having systems that are not implemented yet.

I guess i'll give the F-14 a try then :)

B

F-14 will be a very large difference in experience to the F-18 and F-16. It has no fly by wire, and it has a terrible HUD. The F-14 isn't "complete" either, but yes it's probably more complete than the F-16, but it is also a simpler aircraft. The community loves to poop on ED and high five heatblur's F-14, but I think the F-18 is far better than the F-14.

Regardless of the ED vs HB stuff, you need to consider more things than which one is more feature complete. The F-16 has no carrier operations, is currently fairly incomplete, but behaves very similarly to the F-18, and probably has a phenomenal flight model. The F-14 is going to be a shock if you haven't flown a helo or a warbird, and the carrier landing isn't as accurate as the hornet. But the F-14 is a powerful air to air platform.

Would disagree on some points.Not wanting to high five the F-14 and agreeing that its HUD is somewhat ancient but workable.

However I wouldn‘t call it the simpler aircraft.Or at least it depends on how you define simple.

One look in the RIO seat and intro into the operation of the AWG-9 alone should remove any doubts about the complexity involved.

Also its definitely the more difficult or lets say challenging plane to fly effectively of the two, due the lack of FBW.

But in regards to involved display system and avionics options, sure the F-16 is at least a generation ahead with much more options and stuff to set up and manage in that aspect.

Regards,

Snapyy

The F-14 is by far the more complete and "feature stable". For air to air, it's a blast, plus multicrew is really unique. That said, Jester AI is a little inconsistent at times in effectiveness, and as a pilot you'll have less to do than in the F/A-18 since you don't control the A2G ordnance, TPOD, or Radar, you just fly the plane. But flying the plane is a BLAST!

The F-16 is very early access. It's buggy and has a ton of features and weapons missing. For air to air, though, it's actually pretty far along and very effective. Incredible plane to BFM in, in terms of performance, although not as many fun quirks as the F-14 or cool high AOA authority as the F/A-18. Just raw turn rate, acceleration, and stability.

My vote is for the F-14, but the Viper is well worth the time when it's farther along.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD