DCS Bios Debug Tool

BoboBear

This is a small python app I've been working on to help me debug my pit instruments.

It can send instrument updates, gauge positions, led states etc without having to start DCS.

The user can select a DCSBios json definition files, and then choose which indicators to update over a serial port.

App also shows the responses received from the hardware.

Note. I've only been working on this a couple of weeks on and off. It's not well tested yet.

So don't be surprised if you hit issues using it. Let me know what they are and I'll try to fix them.

However, as it's proving useful to me, I'm releasing it now in case it helps someone else.

https://github.com/tldBear/dcsBiosDebug/blob/master/README.md

Hi Lex,

Yes, it should send updates to steppers ok. The App supports the IntegerBuffer DCSBios type.

You can set the new IntegerBuffer value (stepper position) via a slider, or can get the app to regularly increase/decrease the IntegerBuffer value.

If you try it, let me know what you think.

Regards,

Bear

Fantastic, this was the subject of a question I asked on another thread, as this is a way of testing my hardware and also for gauges being able to quickly calibrate.

If you can run it on a different PC without installing DCS that would be the icing on the cake for me, as my rig is not the easiest place to test things. Its too singular in purpose, so a single test of a part can take five minutes, which as you can imagine with fault finding, calibration or development can be reiterative.

You can be sure that I will try it as soon as I am back, and i'll feed back how I get on. If if find any issues, what's the best way to input that, PM or on here? I'm set on being constructive about this as it's a tool / feature I've been hankering for

Cheers

Les

I had a look at the RS485 master issue.

Seems that a master doesn't like a lot of data as soon as the serial port opens. So I've added a slight delay.

It seems to work ok now on a RS485 master. (My master setup is quite minimal though)

New version (1.2) added to GitHub with win64 exe and MacOSX App.

• 1 month later...

Hi again

I've been using this and should have been giving feedback as I promised

I've used this to calibrate gauges, sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get them to connect, but one they do calibrating is a breeze thanks to this!

I had some issues using it to do things light undercarriage status lights and CWP lights, some work and some don't but nonetheless, this is a great tool to use.

Thanks again for developing this!

Cheers

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks and a question

Yep, should be fully independent of a DCS World install. Just need the aircraft .json file from the DCSBios doc folder.

Report issues here or via PM. Either way is good.

Regards,

Bear

Hi Bear, many thanks for this tool, its a heaven sent!

I would like to check with you though, I cannot find any json files in the DCS_BIOS folder, except for MetadataEnd/Start in the control-reference-json folder?

I am looking for my Spitfire json, I can use it through the DCS-BIOS interface so I dont know where its calling that from?

Thanks again,

Roel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey. Nice work.

I managed to run it once, from the .exe file. The A-10 .json I found from the pre-hub DCS-BIOS wasn't compatible with how my instrument is set up, so I went looking for another.

I found a couple of others, but it seemed the app didn't update on the fly, so I closed it in case it needed to start from scratch.

Now it won't open again.

When I double-click on the .exe, it opens the CMD window, then opens a blank app window, then both close. Almost as quickly as you could read that aloud.

Great to hear that works for you.

Thanks for sending the file.

I suspect I need to add some checking that the settings file is valid for the current dcsBios json file.

I'll try to add that this weekend so it doesn't catch people out in future

• 2 years later...

How weird is this - it only works if I have a specific USB stick plugged in, even though the .json files are in the debug program root folder on the c drive. If you take the USB drive out, it stops working 

The drive was not used to install the program or save any profiles, and has no DCS Bios info

I used Ccleaner to clear the registry but no difference. I better not lose that USB stick….

crazy!

Edited by lesthegrngo