early sunset sky looks great until just before total darkness...

fitness88

All in all I really like 2.5.6, flying the PG at night is amazing.

Although the beginning of sunset looks great there begins to be a strange sky color banding that forms for about 15 minutes just as late sunset goes into total darkness...then all looks great again when totally dark. This color band gets reflected into the water as well and as you look into the direction of final sunset it looks like you're seeing a sand storm.

I don't see this on my monitor only my Rift. I'd post a picture but it doesn't reproduce when I press print screen.

Anyone know what's going on and how to possibly eliminate it?

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

• 3 months later...

I have the exact same issue with my rift cv1. The world lighting has really improved over the past few years and the sunsets look great, but this banding issue after the sun goes down is still very pronounced. I have tried to read up on this issue as best I can and it seems like it could be one of a couple issues:

- insufficient ‘color space’ on the rift that makes distinguishing between near-blacks difficult

https://developer.oculus.com/design/color-brightness-mastering/

This seems plausible as it could explain why the issue is not present on my monitor. It makes me curious if other newer headsets don’t have this issue.

- insufficient color depth in DCS (8 bit), with people over the past few years in posts saying either dithering algorithms or 10 bit color would be needed to fix the issue. If this was the case then I’m not sure why things look so much better on the monitor.

There seem be be some suggestions about potentially using Reshade and/or the Nvidia control panel to help address this issue. Others say the headset is first gen and that’s the issue - get a new one. And others say there’s no way to fix this until ED does something on their end. Since all of this info was not very recent and there did not seem to be a consensus, I figure I will do some more research before messing with things too much. I also assume there is not a quick fix by adjusting some setting in DCS itself - but if so that would be great.

Curious if anyone has any more recent thinking on this subject or can help narrow down the above problems or solutions.

Thanks!

- insufficient ‘color space’ on the rift that makes distinguishing between near-blacks difficult

https://developer.oculus.com/design/color-brightness-mastering/

This seems plausible as it could explain why the issue is not present on my monitor. It makes me curious if other newer headsets don’t have this issue.

You couldn't be more wrong with that statement. That site literally sais the CV1 and Quest come closest to the Adobe RGB colour space. Apart from old CRTs those OLED definately are the best you can have when it comes down to colours. OLED HMDs beat LCD ones in that regard hooves down.

Maybe it's rather this advantage causing us to see the issue that simply wouldn't appear on cheap panels most users have...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The Rift OLED panels are clamped in bandwidth. Because switching times of OLED cells from OFF (full black) to ON where not fast enough, they decided to let them not switch completely OFF. Instead they just go into a very low energy state that looks like nearly black. However, VR HMD with OLED's aren't per se better regarding Blacks or color space, they also suffer from "black smear" "black crush" which shows as less detailed display of detail near black or dark scenes in general. I've seen that in several VR titles, where my old VivePro just showed pitch-black-nothing and my Index now still shows details and objects that i couldn't see before. The 100% perfect panel tech still doesn't exist.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules