New Reverb -Not impressed, need help

Notso

Ok so I just got my new reverb out of the box yesterday. Set it up, all seemed fine with WMR and Steam VR. Before I even got a chance to open DCS, the F*&king ear piece broke off. What a piece of garbage build quality! See pic, is there a way to pop this back on or does it have to be screwed back in?? It appears to be screwed on by two tiny jeweler screws that I have no clue how to access the back of.

In addition, While the resolution does appear to be better and I followed thuds DCS setup guide, there is a massively distinct occlusion or dark shadow directly at the whole bottom of the display including a small bump where my nose is and then what appear to be fuzzy vertical rectangular areas on both sides of the display at the edges of the peripheral vision. There are there whether I'm in the WMR "house" or in DCS. If i adjust the headset up on my face to take the bottom shadow out of view, the entire picture goes blurry and is unusable. WTF???

Yes the clarity is good, but the FOV feels very much smaller than the Vive Pro and the whole thing feels cheap and flimsy. I still can't believe the ear piece broke off within literally 30 min of use. And the sound quality is also garbage in comparison to the Vive.

Other than the ear piece, should I send it back or am I doing something wrong on the set up?? IS the FOV and shadows thing an IPD issue?

Color me not happy at all!

IMG_4739.thumb.JPG.36abbf1815cc9a2f245ea4b978e3ad4d.JPG

IMG_4738.thumb.JPG.6b6f850d122dbc1232e874142b620ee4.JPG

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

You can unscrew the headphones from the headset with a penny.

Did you remove the protective blue film from the lenses before using the headset?

Ok, I'll try the penny trick on the headphones. Do most people use their own audio in place of the built in ones?

And yes, I removed the blue film from inside the headset covering the lenses. I think I sort of know what the problem is now with the obscuration at the bottom and sides. The lenses are too close to my eyes. I was just experimenting with pulling them away and pushing them towards my face. When pulled away enough, all of the shadows go away and I'm left with the usual binocular round picture view. When I push them closer, I get a distinct box all the way around the edges. The problem is with the head strap completely loose and the headset just resting against my face with no pressure to bring them closer, its still too close. I even pulled the velcro foam pad out and tried to set it further out pushing the lenses further away. It helped a bit but its still showing the box around the edges. :doh:

My IPD is 64, so I should be right in the so called sweet spot. Not sure WTF is going on with the headset and distance to the eyes. It seems to get the halo around the edges to go away, they have to be way far from my face. Something doesn't seem right.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Ok so I just got my new reverb out of the box yesterday. Set it up, all seemed fine with WMR and Steam VR. Before I even got a chance to open DCS, the F*&king ear piece broke off. What a piece of garbage build quality! See pic, is there a way to pop this back on or does it have to be screwed back in?? It appears to be screwed on by two tiny jeweler screws that I have no clue how to access the back of.

In addition, While the resolution does appear to be better and I followed thuds DCS setup guide, there is a massively distinct occlusion or dark shadow directly at the whole bottom of the display including a small bump where my nose is and then what appear to be fuzzy vertical rectangular areas on both sides of the display at the edges of the peripheral vision. There are there whether I'm in the WMR "house" or in DCS. If i adjust the headset up on my face to take the bottom shadow out of view, the entire picture goes blurry and is unusable. WTF???

Yes the clarity is good, but the FOV feels very much smaller than the Vive Pro and the whole thing feels cheap and flimsy. I still can't believe the ear piece broke off within literally 30 min of use. And the sound quality is also garbage in comparison to the Vive.

Other than the ear piece, should I send it back or am I doing something wrong on the set up?? IS the FOV and shadows thing an IPD issue?

Color me not happy at all!

Rma the unit

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

RMA?

Return Merchandise Authorization.. you need to contact the seller and request an RMA in order to return it just don't send it back without an RMA..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

So aside from the sh*tty earpiece falling off, has anyone encountered the eyebox issues I'm describing?? As I attempted (probably poorly) to describe: the issue is the nearness to the eyes of the lenses. If too close, I see the peripheral inside of the HMD. When sitting on my face normally, I see the bottom edge of the eye piece and just the halo of the edges. The way I know i'm looking at the interior of the HMD is that if I push it even further onto my face, those halos and bottom shadow turn into a square box all the way around the FOV. If I pull it away, it becomes somewhat normal black tunnel as it looking through binoculars. More like what I have currently with the Vive Pro HMD. But to get it to that "normal" FOV, the headset is barely touching my face and I have to hold it there by hand. If I let go, I get the beginnings of the "box" edges with the straps completely loose.

This cannot be normal. Has anyone encountered this? I'm not sure RMA'ing it will solve the latter issue unless I have a defective headset.

so... the Reverb does have more of a "divers mask" for me than my old O+, but i don't get a halo or shadows, nor do i get the box that you describe... are both eyepieces illuminated?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

so... the Reverb does have more of a "divers mask" for me than my old O+, but i don't get a halo or shadows, nor do i get the box that you describe... are both eyepieces illuminated?

DIVERS MASK! That's a perfect description. How do you have the HMD straps? Loose, tight?

Yes both eyepieces are illuminated.

Also one other weird thing is I get a massively annoying flicker when DCS is loading (with the blue load bar going left to right) after you select mission right before it goes into the flight. Like if I had any hint of epilepsy, I would be writhing on the floor foaming at the mouth curled into a ball. I have to close my eyes while it loads its so bad. Is this also normal? My vive never did that.

the flicker is normal when DCS is loading certainly for a WMR headset, i had it both in the O+ and the Reverb.

not sure from a how tight are the straps ... its snug to my face, i would say tight..

the flicker is normal when DCS is loading certainly for a WMR headset, i had it both in the O+ and the Reverb.

not sure from a how tight are the straps ... its snug to my face, i would say tight..

That's weird, I have to literally pull it away from my face to even get the diver's mask effect. just resting loosely on my face gives me the faint edges of the box. Snug is a full box of looking at the inside of the HMD.

Its akin to having your head too close to a rifle scope. If too close to the eyebox, you see the inside of the scope tube. This is what I'm seeing with the reverb. To get a smooth FOV/ diver's mask look, it's totally unusable. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but I'm stumped as to what to address. Are there any software settings that would affect this?

That's weird, I have to literally pull it away from my face to even get the diver's mask effect. just resting loosely on my face gives me the faint edges of the box. Snug is a full box of looking at the inside of the HMD.

Its akin to having your head too close to a rifle scope. If too close to the eyebox, you see the inside of the scope tube. This is what I'm seeing with the reverb. To get a smooth FOV/ diver's mask look, it's totally unusable. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but I'm stumped as to what to address. Are there any software settings that would affect this?

i don't think there is anything you can do in software for this, but, i certainly don't notice it in the way you describe ... e.g. its not unusable. This could be your face is the wrong shape for this headset... that does happen for some people on various HMD's or it could be you need to sit with it on for a bit and try and forget what you saw with the Vive, because it is different, and physically much smaller ... which maybe something you are seeing

Is that your first VR set? Just curious...

no he had a Vive Pro

Edited by speed-of-heat

So aside from the sh*tty earpiece falling off, has anyone encountered the eyebox issues I'm describing??

I have the same issue with my left eye. I can see the left edge of the square screen.

I have the Oculus Rift with several different facial adapters so I'm going to try this...

https://www.aerofly.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/15174-hp-reverb-comfort-mod/

My IPD is a little over 67.5 and so I realise that I've exceeded the edge of compatibility with this headset. As soon as the warranty expires, I'll be inside with a scalpel and hot-glue (headset, not skull).

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

So aside from the sh*tty earpiece falling off, has anyone encountered the eyebox issues I'm describing?? As I attempted (probably poorly) to describe: the issue is the nearness to the eyes of the lenses. If too close, I see the peripheral inside of the HMD. When sitting on my face normally, I see the bottom edge of the eye piece and just the halo of the edges. The way I know i'm looking at the interior of the HMD is that if I push it even further onto my face, those halos and bottom shadow turn into a square box all the way around the FOV. If I pull it away, it becomes somewhat normal black tunnel as it looking through binoculars. More like what I have currently with the Vive Pro HMD. But to get it to that "normal" FOV, the headset is barely touching my face and I have to hold it there by hand. If I let go, I get the beginnings of the "box" edges with the straps completely loose.

This cannot be normal. Has anyone encountered this? I'm not sure RMA'ing it will solve the latter issue unless I have a defective headset.

I have had this problem, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I was using a strip of self-adhesive backed weather stripping foam applied to the facepad to get the lenses far enough away from my eyes. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it did work. I recently got rid of that and went with an after-market facepad made for the HTC Vive from VR Cover. Its still not quite thick enough, so I have a little bit of a screen edge at the bottom, but its a lot less pronounced than it is with the stock HP facepad. Fits perfectly and is more comfortable. Its not a defective unit in that regard though. You're just one of the "lucky" ones like me that has a face shape that it settles into too far. The phones problem sounds suspicious though, almost like you got sold a unit that somebody had returned already after breaking an earpiece off.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

My IPD is a little over 67.5 and so I realise that I've exceeded the edge of compatibility with this headset. As soon as the warranty expires, I'll be inside with a scalpel and hot-glue (headset, not skull).

I laughed hard at that. :lol: 'HP Warranty Services not responsible for physical injury due to surgical IPD modification.'

Definitely RMA on the physical break at least. Consider whether the bump in center-view resolution is worth all the compromises (framerate hit, no IPD adjustment, poor sound, poor build quality, poor FOV) and perhaps check out an Index. Well, once they get them back in stock at least...

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

I laughed hard at that. :lol: 'HP Warranty Services not responsible for physical injury due to surgical IPD modification.'

Definitely RMA on the physical break at least. Consider whether the bump in center-view resolution is worth all the compromises (framerate hit, no IPD adjustment, poor sound, poor build quality, poor FOV) and perhaps check out an Index. Well, once they get them back in stock at least...

Also Rift S is pretty amazing device - using mine daily and love it. Just sayin.

:smilewink:

However it too has very poor audio on the strap, I use earbuds and sound is great through it's headphone jack.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

my IPD is 68.5 so i doubt the issue is just IPD related, my earphones work well, and the sound quality is good enough... my frame rate went UP compared to the O+ (which i still dont understand)

Consider whether the bump in center-view resolution is worth all the compromises (framerate hit, no IPD adjustment, poor sound, poor build quality, poor FOV) and perhaps check out an Index. Well, once they get them back in stock at least...

Well, when I owned both the Index and Reverb at the same time, I went for the Reverb without much debate.

- I have IPD of 68 and have no issues

- I have no frame rate hit

- sound isn't quite as good as Index, but better than Vive Pro and CV1 which I also owned

- build quality isn't as good as Index, but it's still pretty good

- FOV is a little less than Index, but about the same as Vive Pro.

So, IMO, I guess the asnwer is, yes, it most definitely is worth the extra res!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, when I owned both the Index and Reverb at the same time, I went for the Reverb without much debate.

- sound isn't quite as good as Index, but better than Vive Pro and CV1 which I also owned

Same conclusion I came to! (IPD of 65)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I have had this problem, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I was using a strip of self-adhesive backed weather stripping foam applied to the facepad to get the lenses far enough away from my eyes. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it did work. I recently got rid of that and went with an after-market facepad made for the HTC Vive from VR Cover. Its still not quite thick enough, so I have a little bit of a screen edge at the bottom, but its a lot less pronounced than it is with the stock HP facepad. Fits perfectly and is more comfortable. Its not a defective unit in that regard though. You're just one of the "lucky" ones like me that has a face shape that it settles into too far. The phones problem sounds suspicious though, almost like you got sold a unit that somebody had returned already after breaking an earpiece off.

Thank the gods! I thought I was going crazy and imagining it. Especially until I figured out the issue was I was seeing the inside of the eye box or whatever its called. I see the screen edge at the bottom very clearly and just a hint of the sides. If I raise the HMD up to remove the bottom line, the whole screen goes blurry. It seems it has a fairly small area of focus in the center and the looking at the edges causes it to go blurry.

I have a Vive pro now. I wonder if I can cannibalize the face pad from the Vive and make it fi?

Edited by Notso

I disagree the sound quality of the reverb is the same as the Vive pro. I feels like The reverb is significantly poorer sound quality. It really detracts from the immersion. I’m going to have to get some headphone jack plugs and see if that helps. Do most of you use the built in audio or go with a plug in? If the later, do you use earbuds or over the ear headsets?

The video quality of the Reverb IS definitely better. I can read MFDs and switches easily whereas in the Vive pro I would have to lean in to make it legible. And I haven’t seen a noticeable hit in frame rates yet. However, I’m running on my laptop while I’m waiting on my big tower to make it across the ocean from the sandbox in a shipping container. But even on the gaming laptop, it seems like its not having any problems handling the same setting the Vive pro did.

And While the FOV might technically be the same or slightly better than the Vive at 114 vs 110, it feels less because of the “diver’s mask” effect of the Reverb. That’s disappointing. I expected the tunnel vision effect to become less, not worse.

Hmmmm, It feels like I’ve definitely gained in resolution but went backwards in almost everything else. For that price point, I would not have expected that.

I disagree the sound quality of the reverb is the same as the Vive pro. I feels like The reverb is significantly poorer sound quality. It really detracts from the immersion. I’m going to have to get some headphone jack plugs and see if that helps. Do most of you use the built in audio or go with a plug in? If the later, do you use earbuds or over the ear headsets?
I use speakers and just use the Reverb audio for comms.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The video quality of the Reverb IS definitely better. I can read MFDs and switches easily whereas in the Vive pro I would have to lean in to make it legible. And I haven’t seen a noticeable hit in frame rates yet. However, I’m running on my laptop while I’m waiting on my big tower to make it across the ocean from the sandbox in a shipping container. But even on the gaming laptop, it seems like its not having any problems handling the same setting the Vive pro did.

And While the FOV might technically be the same or slightly better than the Vive at 114 vs 110, it feels less because of the “diver’s mask” effect of the Reverb. That’s disappointing. I expected the tunnel vision effect to become less, not worse.

Hmmmm, It feels like I’ve definitely gained in resolution but went backwards in almost everything else. For that price point, I would not have expected that.

In my opinion, the Vive Pro audio was totally lacking in bass, and was definitely poorer than the Reverb.

If I were you, I would sell your Reverb. All this grief is just not worth it from your pov. Stick with the VP.

Confused by your price comment, as the Reverb is hugely cheaper than the VP and the Index!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I use speakers and just use the Reverb audio for comms.

I don’t understand the speaker thing. I mean you can’t get any spatial positioning.