New Reverb -Not impressed, need help

Notso

I also see the edges of the display and the"inside of the headset", but i m perfectly used to it and no shadows or halos. If i pull it away from my face to get the round binocular picture i lose some degrees of my fov. And as all displays are rectangular its just logic to se a rectangular picture. If a HMD Manufacturer makes the headset in the way so you can see a round picture then there will be a lot of pixels wasted. And sound is good and loud enough. i have to turn it down a lot as it would damage my ears. For me the best headset on the market for flightsimmers :)

Edited by Smith

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

ugh. I am returning my reverb. I am in the same boat it seems as there are just a lot of issues for me with the reverb. There is a small sweetspot, my low IPD made it next to impossible to not feel as if I was going cross-eyed and seeing double-vision on all wording everywhere. I am coming from the cv-1, and I had to plug it back in last night. I gave it a shot with the reverb, but it just isn't comfortable enough to wear for hours. The thick cable is beyond annoying as well. The plastic cover/connector sits right at the top of my chair, and slides across it whenever I move. The fit on my head just isn't great. To get it to look halfway playable, I need the hmd to sit away from my eyes a little more so perhaps a thicker cushion? but really it needs to sit differently all together.

Super disappointed that this thing didn't work out. I think for now I am going to go to the rift-s. Unless my research shows that the sde isn't that much better. As well as the black-lighting compared to the cv-1. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I came across it in my search to see what others though about the reverb.

Don't get me wrong though. the resolution was fantastic in my pin point sweet spot. the f-16 pit was crystal clear. I just can't overcome the cons presented to me. I know these are my issues, and don't doubt that this is an amazing hmd for a person that fits in to the specs of it. I may just be stuck with the cv-1 as my IPD is 55. Sorta sucks :(

That’s interesting to hear that you’’re having the same issue with the eye distance from the lenses and needing it further away from your eyes. I have the consumer version with the foam face pad and I get the same issue. At this point, this is my biggest issue with the Reverb. I solved the broken ear piece (took it into Best Buy and had them fix it) temporarily until my replacement arrives. So I’m living with seeing parts of the inside of the lens edges for now as the super clarity is so far worth the annoyances. My IPD is 64, so I don’t think that’s the issue. It’s simply that the lenses need to be further away from my eyes to get the correct eye relief. I literally have the side straps completely loose and the headset is still being pulled too tight into my face to get the correct eye reliefs so I don’t see the inside of the device. I need to research if there are any aftermarket face foam makers to see if I can get one that is a bit thicker to move the lenses a bit further away. When I pull it slightly forward with my hand, its perfects. But it won’t stay there. And yes the sweet spot for the crisp focus is small, so up and down position seems super critical as well.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Yeah the Reverb sweet spot is quite small, you can often see this when people youtbue it and it looks blurry on most of the image aside from a tiny center spot (this is mainly due to the camera being too far away, its much better in the headset).

I'm not really understanding your issue with the "seeing parts of the inside of the lens edges for now" it seems like moving your eyes closer would fix that rather than moving them back?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm not really understanding your issue with the "seeing parts of the inside of the lens edges for now" it seems like moving your eyes closer would fix that rather than moving them back?

No, just the opposite. If I push the headset closer to my eyes, the insides of the headset come into view, if I pull it away I see only the picture surrounded by the usual dark circle, If your too far away, then the circle shrinks. It’s exactly the same analogy of looking into a rifle scope. There is an optimum “eye relief’ distance. If your eye is too close to the eye lens, then you see the inside of the tube. At the correct distance, the physical sides mostly disappear and you see only the picture through the glass with a round dark circle around it. If too far away, the image shrinks to a black dot.

See attached pics for examples. The first one showing too close is what I’m seeing with my Reverb at present. You can see the inside of the scope physical body around the edges of the image. The pic with the two scopes side by side - the left is correct and the one on the right is too far away from the eyes. As soon as I pull my Reverb forward slightly, the inside edges go away and it becomes clear like in the left hand of the two scope pics The issue for me is that even with the straps completely loose, I can’t get the HMD to sit far enough away from my eyes to keep the correct eye relief. Short of adding a new foam insert to push the lenses slightly further from my eyes, I don’t know how to fix it.

I’m returning my Reverb and getting a replacement one. I’m hoping that fixes the issue and that maybe the foam insert was just too thin. I’ll know in about a week.

AC072529-C725-42D0-88BB-82E2E93CDDD5.jpeg.d8233463bb35ad56437a197a2208c1d9.jpeg

86D7D7C8-A7FD-40BA-B542-C572EAA25A7F.jpeg.1b8263c83d59be7d715721e1c89b8b19.jpeg

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

No, just the opposite. If I push the headset closer to my eyes, the insides of the headset come into view, if I pull it away I see only the picture surrounded by the usual dark circle, If your too far away, then the circle shrinks. It’s exactly the same analogy of looking into a rifle scope. There is an optimum “eye relief’ distance. If your eye is too close to the eye lens, then you see the inside of the tube. At the correct distance, the physical sides mostly disappear and you see only the picture through the glass with a round dark circle around it. If too far away, the image shrinks to a black dot.

See attached pics for examples. The first one showing too close is what I’m seeing with my Reverb at present. You can see the inside of the scope physical body around the edges of the image. The pic with the two scopes side by side - the left is correct and the one on the right is too far away from the eyes. As soon as I pull my Reverb forward slightly, the inside edges go away and it becomes clear like in the left hand of the two scope pics The issue for me is that even with the straps completely loose, I can’t get the HMD to sit far enough away from my eyes to keep the correct eye relief. Short of adding a new foam insert to push the lenses slightly further from my eyes, I don’t know how to fix it.

I’m returning my Reverb and getting a replacement one. I’m hoping that fixes the issue and that maybe the foam insert was just too thin. I’ll know in about a week.

I feel your pain, Notso.

I'm working on making a homemade foam insert to go between the face pad and the HMD. So far I'm getting my measurements wrong, since the surface I'm trying to cover is curved and difficult to accurately measure. Something else I noticed with getting slightly more eye relief is that the sweet spot gets a little bigger, so I'm definitely motivated to figure something out. If I ever get a decent result, I'll post a list of materials and a DWG file.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I feel your pain, Notso.

I'm working on making a homemade foam insert to go between the face pad and the HMD. So far I'm getting my measurements wrong, since the surface I'm trying to cover is curved and difficult to accurately measure. Something else I noticed with getting slightly more eye relief is that the sweet spot gets a little bigger, so I'm definitely motivated to figure something out. If I ever get a decent result, I'll post a list of materials and a DWG file.

I'm so glad it's not just me and me imagining this stuff. Sorry you're going through this too. And it makes no sense, because I'm pretty sure I don't have some alien shaped face. My Vive pro fits perfectly right out of the box.

On your face foam mod, my thought was to pull the existing foam out (it just has two little velcro tabs on each side that hold it in) and put something behind it inside the HMD and then replace the Reverb face foam so that it sticks out more.

The lenses are designed for your eyes to be as close as possible to them. Then the sweet spot will be adequate. If you see vignetting on one edge only you need to shift the headset up/down or side/side not in/out. Look straight up, adjust the straps with the headset in the sweet spot then when looking around it should stay there. It needs to be worn pretty tight. It took me over a week of daily hour long use to finally figure all this out. If you see slight vignetting on all sides you might just have it perfect, try to immerse yourself in the sim and you'll stop noticing it.

Edited by driftaholic

On your face foam mod, my thought was to pull the existing foam out (it just has two little velcro tabs on each side that hold it in) and put something behind it inside the HMD and then replace the Reverb face foam so that it sticks out more.

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I'm experimenting with high density foam that's usually used for tool boxes, so a softer facepad will definitely be needed on top of it. I figure the high density foam will last longer without getting compressed. My current VR Cover facepad that was designed for the Vive fits the Reverb perfectly and gives me a little more eye relief, but not quite enough. Hopefully I can use that to make a pattern for the foam, since it lays flat (the Reverb facepad doesn't lay flat). I know it will work, because I have already had success with using a strip of self-adhesive weather stripping on the surface of the stock facepad. The only problem with that is that it looked terrible, and it wasn't long before the adhesive migrated to the edges and started getting stuck to my face.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The lenses are designed for your eyes to be as close as possible to them. Then the sweet spot will be adequate. If you see vignetting on one edge only you need to shift the headset up/down or side/side not in/out. Look straight up, adjust the straps with the headset in the sweet spot then when looking around it should stay there. It needs to be worn pretty tight. It took me over a week of daily hour long use to finally figure all this out. If you see slight vignetting on all sides you might just have it perfect, try to immerse yourself in the sim and you'll stop noticing it.

Both me and Notso have already done the basic troubleshooting to confirm our findings. More eye relief is the key to it all, and we won't have to do any ignoring that its there, because it completely goes away with more eye relief. I have also confirmed that the focus gets sharper, and the sweet spot gets larger. Not everybody has the same facial features, so what works for one guy may not work for somebody else. Your mileage may vary. :)

Edited by eaglecash867

I've tried all of that and pushing the HMD closer to the eyes makes it worse. It's not "slight vignetting" when you tighten the straps to pull it closer to the face, it's a FULL on Square box that you can't ignore. It kills the immersion.

If someone could explain how to take pics of what someone sees in the headset, I'll post them here to show what's going on. As I said, I have a new one on the way to replace the current one with the broken (although jury rigged) ear piece. But given what others have said, I doubt that's going to solve the eye relief problem. We'll see.

Both me and Notso have already done the basic troubleshooting to confirm our findings. More eye relief is the key to it all, and we won't have to do any ignoring that its there, because it completely goes away with more eye relief. I have also confirmed that the focus gets sharper, and the sweet spot gets larger. Not everybody has the same facial features, so what works for one guy may not work for somebody else. Your mileage may vary. :)

What luck did you have with mod‘ing the face foam? I sent my initial reverb back because of the broken earpiece and just received the replacement. The face feels slightly better but the same issue still exists with the eye relief. I’m making it work, but it would be cool to have a more permanent solution.

Maybe I do have an alien shaped face, but with the CV1 and Reverb I ended up making a custom facial interface . It spreads the pressure more evenly and makes it more stable so the sweet spot stays in place.

For the CV1 I got a new frame and built it up with craft foam, then finished with a velour cover.

I don't think replacement frames are available for the Reverb yet so had to be a little more creative. The result is rather "ghetto" and I will remake at some stage. Not difficult, just takes some time and lots of trial and error.

I was trying to keep that old school photo under wraps, but I guess you found it Aries144

:megalol:

More practically, some extra padding inside the headband can help with stability as well - depending of exactly how weird your head shape is!

Hey..

Just my 2 cents...

I just returned my Reverb and would like to share my thoughts. Maybe someone would make use of it.

Reviews are out there a lot, so I stick to my ~personal~ pros and cons, coming from Rift CV1.

Pro is definitly the super sharp and crisp image. But with a 2080 OC it is hard to get a smooth Performance at 100% SS.

The list of cons is unfortunatly not long but the points were making my decision to return not very hard. Keep in mind, that I was coming from a Rift CV1.

First big con was the Windows Mixed Reality thing. It makes the Oculus Software seems to be Plug&Play and bugfree ;) (which we know it is not).

But pluggin' in the Reverb, the Controller did not work. Workaround like posted in similar Reddit threats was a reinstall of Windows 10. After that it worked with the controllers. But again. Did not get ever so much crashes, freezes or bugs with DCS compared to the Rift/Oculus combination.

Second big con in my opinion was the heat of the headset. With the Rift I can play for hours. The Reverb heated up my head in just 30min. So hot, I quit gaming because it felt very uncomfortable.

Third con is the heavy cable. It pulls you out of immersion. And I haven't played any roomscale. Just DCS and xplane while sitting in front of my Wheelstand. But although there was no tension on the cable, you always feel that it is there.

So to sum it up. WMR, heating and cable weight were the reasons I returend the Reverb.

Maybe someone can use this information.

Regards,

Muellerman

Edited by Muellerman

Hey..

Just my 2 cents...

I just returned my Reverb and would like to share my thoughts. Maybe someone would make use of it.

Reviews are out there a lot, so I stick to my ~personal~ pros and cons, coming from Rift CV1.

Pro is definitly the super sharp and crisp image. But with a 2080 OC it is hard to get a smooth Performance at 100% SS.

The list of cons is unfortunatly not long but the points were making my decision to return not very hard. Keep in mind, that I was coming from a Rift CV1.

First big con was the Windows Mixed Reality thing. It makes the Oculus Software seems to be Plug&Play and bugfree ;) (which we know it is not).

But pluggin' in the Reverb, the Controller did not work. Workaround like posted in similar Reddit threats was a reinstall of Windows 10. After that it worked with the controllers. But again. Did not get ever so much crashes, freezes or bugs with DCS compared to the Rift/Oculus combination.

Second big con in my opinion was the heat of the headset. With the Rift I can play for hours. The Reverb heated up my head in just 30min. So hot, I quit gaming because it felt very uncomfortable.

Third con is the heavy cable. It pulls you out of immersion. And I haven't played any roomscale. Just DCS and xplane while sitting in front of my Wheelstand. But although there was no tension on the cable, you always feel that it is there.

So to sum it up. WMR, heating and cable weight were the reasons I returend the Reverb.

Regards,

Muellerman

Interesting.... I had zero issues installing and getting WMR and the Reverb to work PnP. And I'm about as far from a computer nerd as they come.

I do agree the cable is heavy. However, my fix is to ziptie the cable to the back headrest of my dedicated gaming chair so that there is enough slack to move your head around without pulling it, but the cable being anchored to the headrest took all the weight off of it. I don't even notice its there now. I did this when I had the Vive as well because of the cable weight, so this is not unique to the reverb. It is a bit heavier, but still has the same issues.

Hey..

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,

Muellerman

Hi, no big issue to make it work well. Significant improvment vs my rift S and smooth in booth SP and MP missions with 150% SS (same specs as your rig).

Key action to get smooth experience, be sure to enable « Motion Retroprojection » and your set Reverb in 90Hz.

To do so, remove "//" in front of "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto", and check it is "auto"

Good flights

idy5.png

Edited by Jolk

Intel i9 9900K + 32GB DDR4 + RTX 2080ti

Reverb2 & Rift S + Warthog + Saitek Pro pedal

What luck did you have with mod‘ing the face foam? I sent my initial reverb back because of the broken earpiece and just received the replacement. The face feels slightly better but the same issue still exists with the eye relief. I’m making it work, but it would be cool to have a more permanent solution.

Ok, so here is my "ghetto" solution to the eye relief problem. I used some very thin strips of 3/8" weather striping around the eye pieces to push the face pad out further. Its not elegant, but it works.

IMG_4825.thumb.JPG.eb3efca29d5650b0aa78f41aec87ed8a.JPG

IMG_4826.thumb.JPG.978af91bb3a83875013065c9ecb429a7.JPG

IMG_4827.thumb.JPG.e24a452294c397ee09d1a52c383d036e.JPG

IMG_4828.thumb.JPG.3e3eb68e9b323f0720a89d0ca0453e60.JPG

Hi, no big issue to make it work well. Significant improvment vs my rift S and smooth in booth SP and MP missions with 150% SS (same specs as your rig).

Key action to get smooth experience, be sure to enable « Motion Retroprojection » and your set Reverb in 90Hz.

To do so, remove "//" in front of "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto", and check it is "auto"

Good flights

Hey Jolk!

Thank you for the advice.

I did follow Thud's tutorials. So 90 Hz and motionReprojectionMode was turned on.

Don't know why it didn't felt smooth for me on my setup.

Did you also noticed the heating problem? I read that this might be a faulty device. Again, compared to the rift it was a huge difference in heating up the head/face.

Edited by Muellerman