Tutorial for skin creation

Fuelburner

I was wondering if there´s a video or pdf tutorial available how to create skins. I just downloaded the F-a8 template a played around with the skins using gimp, but how do I use them !?

In the most F-18 liveries folder are just 1 or 2 difference files listed. The template wich I downloaded has 8 different picture files. I´m confused...:helpsmilie:

• 1 month later...

There are quite a few. I know I used a .pdf when I started learning on the A-10C. I wound up putting together two different series of videos on it but I'm not sure they're the best. There are some nuances to each module...or there can be anyway, so it is doubtful that a single tutorial will answer all your questions. I reference the .pdf I think in these videos so you might check those out first. Maybe my videos will help at least.

This is the first video of 2:

In general I think the hardest parts for me is finding where the different parts of the mesh are on the texture file, getting the seams right, and a distant third would be getting the files in the right locations. There are a few different places you can put files but that isn't as hard to work out.

Hopefully this helps.

Edited by 311Gryphon

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, you'll probably want to skip to like 1:45 on that video to avoid watching me download templates.

Also, here is another person's tutorial from earlier but it may help too.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73093

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This tutorials are very good, for people with some knowledge in this softwares and how to use them. But for noobs like me, it's almost impossible to create a skin using the templates, as they're massive files, with loads of different pictures and hundreds of layers on each template.

I use the most simple and light software (also free) available, Paint.net, and although it's very simple, I can create a lot of skins for DCS. When the template helps...like the F/A-18 for example, that uses only a handful of files, AND the templates are easy to understand and work with. But I downloaded the templates for the F-16C and I can see, that will be impossible for me. 2Gb of data, divided in many files with hundreds of layers... I'll finish this skin by the time I'm 80 years old, not to mention if I try to open more than 3 files at the same time, the software crashes because it lacks RAM memory... lol

Is there a "simplified version" of these skins somewhere else? Maybe someone who took the original ones and left only the essential layers for noobs to work on, using lesser files and therefore less space (RAM memory)???

Because even if I try and learn how to use Gimp, I still have the problem of way too many layers...what do I keep? what do I delete? where do I draw? where do I put the stickers on the fuselage? I don't even know where to start :(

If you guys know where I could find such thing, I'd appreciate.

Edited by AleCisla