Multiplayer bug fix focus

BIGNEWY

I realise this is a thread about Multiplayer and the response would be that all issues are looked at in parallel, but, some of the primary issues affecting MP after 2.5.6 were very damaging changes to the player ID's, the event id's and the airbase id's which crippled a lot of scripting that folks rely on. So excuse me if I sound like i'm talking off topic, but it's absolutely relevant. Every day since 2.5.6 people have asked why their aircraft exploded on spawn, or aircraft take off in North Las Vegas when they specified Pahute Mesa (or the many other combinations like Jean being broken) and I have had to tell people it's because ED changed the code so that if you ask for the ID of an airport from the SSE, it returns something completely different than it has for the past... years since as long as 1.2 as far as I know.

The net effect of this change (without obvious benefits) is that many people reverted versions and cannot launch servers. That's quite impacting.

We can't workaround the problem easily without mapping all the airbases to their new, seemingly random numbers. It's a chore that 4 terrains are scrambled but not impossible. Whilst that is some work, we wonder if it might suddenly get reverted to what it was at any given patch, because the work would then have to be undone and reverted in all those scripts again, on all those servers. So I'm stymied.

Which brings me to my point, if those under the hood issues aren't on this list and this list contains carrier deck sliding, I fear that no one will ever get to our seemingly less important airbase issue and we may be left in limbo for a long time.

I hate to pester, but I've seen the reaction to seemingly less visual bugs in DCS over the years. Visual bolt placements are priortised above unsuported scripting issues. Don't forget, the entire MP community is based on an unsusported set of instructions. And many of the old bugs are present for years, which is why I was delighted to hear ED's concentration on the core game this year and extatic when I saw the scope and level of what they were attempting to achieve in 2.5.6.

However, the net sum of that attempt is 1 step forward and two back - literally in terms of what versions we can use, how many workarounds we use and the overal end result. Please, I know you think the same, but don't forget the non-visual bugs too, as well as these other critical issues. Thanks.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

+1 hope these get sorted quickly missiles that disappear midflight, desynced missiles that are seen in one place but are actually in another, confused playerid's, incorrect airbase spawns, memory leaks from objects and units these are basic fundamentals that have been working for years and now so broken the inherent meaning of multiplayer is pointless.

Along the same lines as what Pikesy is talking about, it would be good to release a scripting engine changelog in a similar fashion to the regular changelog - documenting new or enhanced functions, return values, etc.

Additionally, it'd be good to get a heads up in advance that these might be changed so script coders and users can be ready for them.

Just a thought...

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi all

We have some fixes coming in our next patch, I will update the first post once we can confirm.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

We have some fixes coming in our next patch, I will update the first post once we can confirm.

thank you

AWESOME :thumbup:

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Ghost contacts fixed

MP. Added support for clients behind CG-NAT

MP. Added packet stats to Ctrl-Pause info (up/down traffic, ping, packet loss)

More work to be done with MP and fixes.

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hello, I've never had troubles with MP before, always run smooth. But now I started to find a very frustrating issue and wanted to know if it is a known thing. When first entering a MP mission everything goes ok, but after some time FPS starts to go lower and lower and lower like a leak. Even if the mission has been online for some time and I go in it gets this same issue. Any ideas?

Stay safe

Hello, I've never had troubles with MP before, always run smooth. But now I started to find a very frustrating issue and wanted to know if it is a known thing. When first entering a MP mission everything goes ok, but after some time FPS starts to go lower and lower and lower like a leak. Even if the mission has been online for some time and I go in it gets this same issue. Any ideas?

+1 on this post plus after about 20 minutes, CTD.

I am curious how MP got so broken in the first place, to go from a smooth well running sim albeit missing some features, to become unplayable in MP and FPS crash on runways in SP. I do understand there are sometimes minor glitches with new releases...but since back in Feb., not like this:noexpression:

Edited by fitness88

Friendly Bump

Stay safe

Is the new VOIP killing performance in MP? + the last OB is just a complete mess with more warping than star trek, Missiles killing clients 5km away thinking they had defeated or was not on them. Is there any update on these issues.

+1 on this post plus after about 20 minutes, CTD.

I am curious how MP got so broken in the first place, to go from a smooth well running sim albeit missing some features, to become unplayable in MP and FPS crash on runways in SP. I do understand there are sometimes minor glitches with new releases...but since back in Feb., not like this:noexpression:

+1 Indeed couldn't agree more - best thing ED could do is focus all resources on existing problems, which when you start listing them out is considerable. I'm dreading the fact that they are still planning on launching the Supercarrier when essentially multiplayer is currently broke to a level that makes it unplayable for competitive players.

It's also noticeable how when the Viper was due out the hornet development was shifted to the long grass, then merging of both teams. If we actually look at what has been released on the Viper and Hornet in the last 3 months, its easy to speculate that this resource base has been pulled onto the carrier. I just wish every coder they had was working on nothing but core for the next 6 months until the mess of legacy code and memory leaks where removed. I also think the community, albeit the mature players who are not just looking for the next best eye candy but those actually in simulated experience would support this move. Its a car crash currently to be fair if you play competitive multiplayer with player controlled ground units. I really wish they would just halt all module progress until the game engine and netcode is debugged and optimised. It's painful when you see posts and in its most simple example i can think of "when are the new clouds coming out etc etc" when currently cloud A for player 1 is not what player 2 is seeing next to him, or objects on the ground or in the sky that light up at night like a Christmas tree's despite being fenced in. The game is currently a mess, yes the new night lighting looks amazing but i'd equate it to no point having a nice new shiny car if the engine doesn't work!

I could list out issues with combined arms and also the game engine that have been around for years that haven't been debugged or resolved. Yet all the time new modules are brought out adding to the mess and detracting the team. ED also seem to really not test any form of release in multiplayer or with a realistic mission environment - if so how could the night lighting of aircraft and ground units have even made it into beta without being acknowledged as an issue.

It needs sorting.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

if so how could the night lighting of aircraft and ground units have even made it into beta without being acknowledged as an issue.

I know DCS is a mess right now, but keep in mind that ED needs to be profitable, they need to pay salaries so more often than not what seems the right choice for customers is not always the right choice for the developers. It took me a lot of time to get used to, but now I understand and respect them. Brilliant as they are, the road to a clean and debugged product is far from happening with the current industry. DCS has improved a lot, so maybe we could see the results of a great work and let them polish their mess in the appropriate timing. We are lucky to have a platform like DCS, maybe one day we won't so better appreciate it now :) AND all of this without taking into account that this is an open BETA, so it is supposed to be a testing environment, sort of. About the quote: what are you talking about night lighting?

Edited by hein22

Stay safe

I know DCS is a mess right now, but keep in mind that ED needs to be profitable, they need to pay salaries so more often than not what seems the right choice for customers is not always the right choice for the developers. It took me a lot of time to get used to, but now I understand and respect them. Brilliant as they are, the road to a clean and debugged product is far from happening with the current industry. DCS has improved a lot, so maybe we could see the results of a great work and let them polish their mess in the appropriate timing. We are lucky to have a platform like DCS, maybe one day we won't so better appreciate it now :) AND all of this without taking into account that this is an open BETA, so it is supposed to be a testing environment, sort of. About the quote: what are you talking about night lighting?

Wont be profitable if ED keep turning out the worst MP, Its un playable. I prefer fixes than churning out nato shiny toys.

I agree with Coxy... game seems to be getting worse in MP. It’s over 6 months since the Falcon was in our hangers. We were promised a lot of the systems developed for the hornet would enable faster future product builds in particular the F16, yet it still hasn’t seen much smart weaponary incorporated yet ....

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I've been talking about this going on over a month:mad:

It's totally ruined my MP experience!

So any news on fixing MP? Frame rates, desyncs, lag all seem to be getting worse with each subsequent patch MP has been pretty unplayable for over a month now, flying with a group of guys yesterday and one of them made a joke about the ground being desynced no one laughed because right now with the almost unplayable state of dcs mp it could very well be true. Fix our MP.

• ED Team
So any news on fixing MP? Frame rates, desyncs, lag all seem to be getting worse with each subsequent patch MP has been pretty unplayable for over a month now, flying with a group of guys yesterday and one of them made a joke about the ground being desynced no one laughed because right now with the almost unplayable state of dcs mp it could very well be true. Fix our MP.

We have found an issue with the carrier group creating desync, fps issues are reported and being worked on. When we have more news we will pass it on, I will also update the first post here as things change.

thanks

We have found an issue with the carrier group creating desync, fps issues are reported and being worked on. When we have more news we will pass it on, I will also update the first post here as things change.

thanks

Multiplayer experience right now on 2.5.6 is one of the worst seen so far! Almost unplayable on server with more than 20 connected, where we have more complex game server running on constant 60+ tickrate even with 90 players, and complex physic as well like sync of every bullets and so on......

And OFC is not only related to the carrier group, we spent all evening trying to flying a mission involving multiple squadron and we had lot of crash, disconnection, lags, desync, warping units, a totally unplayable scenario, without any carrier on map!

There are a lot of people that really have just few hours to spend for a week to fly, and we're keeping them trying to fight against dcs bus and problem instead making them enjoy the flight.

I hope ED really start to consider a MP as an high priority task, since what we have seen so far seems they have completely forgot that there is a "multiplayer" button in DCS menu.

Sincerely,

Shaka

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Whatever ED did with the latest round of updates has broken my main server.

I can see and connect to the server just fine from my PC, however...

Other people cant see it, cant connect to it via direct IP or Hostname.

I have confirmed the firewall is set up correctly (nothing has changed on the firewall either between when it was working last and now), The correct ports are open (10308 TCP and UDP, 5002 for SRS on TCP and UDP). I have set other services (IIS Webserver) to use these ports to confirm connections are working.

I have disabled the firewall completely exposing my server directly to the internet as well just to confirm that the firewall is definately not the source of these issues.

I have reinstalled my server twice now, and even rebuild the operating system completely too with no change.

What did you guys do in the last 2 or three patches released over the last few days that has broken things so badly?

I have to say that I've had a terrible time as of late trying to fly in multiplayer. Echoing some of the sentiments about poor performance, and on top of that I've started having random freezes that last about 10-15 seconds. Game becomes unresponsive, but plane continues to fly without my inputs or commands for some reason. It's akin to me simply blacking out, only other people see me floating in mid-air until I just teleport to my game's perceived position when it ends.

Which aren't a problem most of the time, but occasionally happen during inverted rolls or maneuvering. Checked SSD drive for health, drive is healthy. Not sure what else there is to do.

My only suggestion for this is to make it where, if I'm unable to give commands to my plane because the game is frozen, at least freeze my plane in the same place that I froze so I can seamlessly continue flying instead of it being a coin toss on if it decided to fly into the ground while my game was freezing.

Frequent freezes over Normandy

I was flying in the mission "WWII La baye des veys" by Les Faucheurs de Marguerites tonight. I found that the display froze each time I looked in a different direction, especially when I zoomed in. Once, on the ground at Bény sur Mer, I saw a fighter aircraft suspended in the air, motionless (see attachment). A bit later, the display froze during the take-off run and I could not get out of the freeze. I had to exit from the game. While I was flying I had frequently checked my Ping time, and that always displayed as 30 which was one of the lowest in the list. For today, I have given up on MP.

1219895161_FightersuspendedatBeny.thumb.jpg.72fa4bb2406c19bb9afa58574f6881d4.jpg

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5